Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Definition of Antique needs some re-thinking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrCreosote, Jan 16, 2019.

1. belair

belair

Technically, I would say "antique" refers to something past a certain age. You know, like @Rickybop. Just old. "Classic" on the other hand, has to do with style and design, transcending time and passing fads. Like me.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Boneyard51 and mrchewie like this.
  2. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Oops, missed the crank opening in "that blue car in the background." (!)

I just upgraded my 62 R2 Super Lark from Classic to Antique and I winced at the notion. Paxton Studebakers ARE NOT ANTIQUES!!!!!

PA just changed their inspection laws ad regs so you can drive an antique after sundown - in PA an antique had glow worms for tail lights and not safe for nighttime driving. Another GOOD antique criteria.
    However PA Classic recognizes Special Interest and when the last Eldorado Convertible rolled off the assembly line, it qualified for a PA Classic plate.

After I posed I discovered the car "eras" have been codified:

An antique car is an automobile that is an antique. Narrower definitions vary based on how old a car must be to qualify. The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as over 25 years of age.[1] However, the legal definitions for the purpose of antique vehicle registration vary widely. The antique car era includes the Veteran era, the Brass era, and the Vintage era, which range from the beginning of the automobile up to the 1930s. Later cars are often described as classic cars. In original or originally restored condition antiques are very valuable and are usually either protected and stored or exhibited in car shows but are very rarely driven.
    Veteran Era[edit]
    The Veteran era began with the invention of the automobile and continued up to 1896.
    Brass Era[edit]
    Main article: Brass Era car
    The Brass Era is considered from 1890 to 1919.[5] Periods of the Brass Era are referred to as the Horseless carriage era.[6]The Horseless Carriage Club of America (HCCA) defines this era as "any pioneer gas, steam and electric motor vehicle built or manufactured prior to January 1, 1916".[7]
    Antique era (before 1920)[edit]
    The era of antique cars actually covers a specific time period from the beginning up to 1920 or prior to World War I.[8] The time period for antique cars includes the Veteran Era as well as the Brass era.
    Vintage Era[edit]
    The vintage era followed World War I from 1920 to 1930. There were over 500 automotive companies in 1910 but by the time of the Great Depression of 1929 only 60 had survived, and twelve years later there were fewer than 20.[9]

clunker and Hollywood-East like this.
  3. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I get what you're saying and I agree, just the Viper may not be the best example, Vipers are a special interest vehicle, which I think is where they get lumped in with classics. NADA Classic Guide is a good example of that. The classic book will include Classics, Exotics and special interest vehicles which include cars newer than 1999. Which includes Acura NXS, Early 2000's Pontiac Firehawks, 20005 Ford Thunderbirds, just to name a few. Specialty vehicles basically. But there does need to be a distinction, which unfortunately maybe one owns opinion. Some people may think a 1985 Shortbed Chevrolet C10 to be a classic (I do, if it's a good to excellent condition) But then there's the guy that still hauls junk around in the same truck, is this still a classic? So, it's open into interpretation. As an appraiser it can be tough to discern what fits in certain catergories.

4. Great line!

kbgreen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. 66gmc

66gmc

Wow thanks! Still have the 33 but haven't made any noteworthy progress on it. It's been on the backburner while I was finishing some other projects for people. I'm itching to spend some more time on it this year.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. williebill

williebill

Watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot last night on TV. Loved that beautiful 51 Merc coupe that George Kennedy and the other guy ran the living shit out of, raised more hell with that Merc than Stallone's Cobra ever thought of doing, then realized that the Merc was only 23 years old when that movie was made.
    Time is a funny thing...... deep thought from this 66 year old.

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The only concern here is Hotrod’s.
    Not interested in any other definition of old cars.

Hombre likes this.
  8. If you want a wakeup call, take a trip to Europe and tell them about your vintage 1800's antiques.

XXL__ and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My sentiments exactly about my '84 6.9 F250. The latest version of George Washington's axe has a low mileage n/a 7.3. Slow, steady, and all paid for, but I just can't call it "antique" yet.

Boneyard51 and Truck64 like this.
  10. And you can still buy a brand new Yugo! Remember those? They still make them.

11. It's all semantics... and the 'official' definition is more than a bit narrow IMO. If you pressed most people for a definition, you'd probably end up with everything pre-49 as 'antique', everything after as 'classic'.

1949 really was a watershed year. You saw the complete abandonment of pre-war-era styling, first introduction of mass-market automatic transmissions and power-assist, and the beginning of the total extinction of the flathead motor. You wouldn't see such a major automotive technology shift again until the '80s when full electronic powertrain controls came in.

The next major shift is waiting in the wings... electric cars. It's just a matter of time.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I only have one vehicle on the place that isn't old enough to qualify for antique/ classic plates in this state. That's the running driving dailys and not the 48,31 or roadster of undetermined year.
    The bitch I have is guys around here with beater mid 70's pickups that look like crap but have classic plates and get used daily to haul anything and everything. Fixed up, detailed out and only driven for pleasure and to shows and event, I don't have an issue but when one five years newer than my dualie backs in next to me at the dump or Home depot to dump a load or pick up a load of material and has antique plates it doesn't set right with me.

Hnstray and warhorseracing like this.
  13. Lack of enforcement is the issue there. The local cops aren't paying attention or don't care.

I'll admit to sorta being 'one of those guys'. I used to have a '75 F150 that I put a 'classic' plate on to avoid the not-insignificant costs of licensing every year. But it was hardly a daily driver; I didn't put 4K miles on it in the 10 years I owned it. The main reason for owning it was to transport my garbage bin the 3/4 mile up to the end of the county road once or twice a month as the service wouldn't come down our private road and the furnished-by-them bin wouldn't fit in any of the cars. I doubt if I actually hauled anything else in it more than once a year. Most trips to 'town' were to put gas in it or take my dog for a ride... LOL. As soon as it's current replacement gets old enough (next year I think), I'll probably do the same thing for the same reasons.

belair and warhorseracing like this.
  14. evintho

evintho

An antique is usually regarded as something over 100 years old, except in the automotive world where antique is a car 25 years old or older. My insurance agent informed me my '93 Mustang is considered an antique and as such, is eligible for full coverage insurance which costs less than basic liability and property damage on my wifes '99 Nissan! Go figure.

15. dwollam

dwollam

In Orygun, Special Interest Vehicles need to be 25 years old or older, stock or modified. Antique plates requires the vehicle to be half as old as the current year. Not sure that is a very clear wording so here it is. 1925 cars became Antique license eligible in 1950. 1940 cars in 1980. 1950 cars in 2000. 1959 in 2018. A 1960 will be eligible in 2020. Hope that makes sense. Every 2 calendar years gets 1 more old car year. Special Interest vehicles can run YOM plates or Oregon's ugly yellow SP plates. Antiques get Antique plate only, no YOM's.

Dave

clunker and jnaki like this.
  16. jazz1

jazz1

Plastic on dash, not Antique in my books. JMHO
    My daily is a 1991 Toyota truck, I don't consider it a classic although I know it is there is a following for these trucks.

17. The 'antique' classification seems to have originated with the AACA, and covered model years 1890 through 1919. They split this into two sub-groups, the 'veterans' (1890 to 1896) and 'brass era' (1897 to 1919). The AACA existed as a national organization in 1936, so these classifications denoted cars between 46 and 17 years old at the time. At some point they added a 'vintage' classification covering 1920 to 1930.

Given that the number of manufacturers had shrunk from around 500 down to about 60 during this time, that makes me wonder if the AACA initially was much less of a 'restorer' club, maybe more of a 'clearing house' to allow members with discontinued models/marques to access parts/expertise to keep their cars on the road.

18. to me all cars with valve covers are modern.................nuff said

czuch and Slopok like this.
  19. Modern 1917 Chevy engine
    033.jpg

GuyW, Hnstray, belair and 2 others like this.
  20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Along with all the Buick straight eights

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Ha Ha, yup the Fords were antiques when they were new! :p

Hnstray and belair like this.
  22. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

It equates to cheaper insurance for us guys... Really! On Dailey's

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

According to my 18 year old grandson, everything I own is an antique! That is not true, my wife's car is an 04, it has a few more years before its an antique, everything else qualifies though.

I think dates that mark major changes in the automotive industry after they turn 25 years old should probably mark the antique starting line. Those major changes should also be accompanied with the intent of the vehicle use. If you want it classified as an antique, it should be used as an antique, not a daily driver. As much as it will be unwelcome here, the advent of full automotive conversion to fuel injection is probably the last real change in the automotive time line that exceeds 25 years, that would have been 1988.

The next major time line is still pretty unclear, but most of us won't like that one either. Its hard to admit the things we bought as a younger person are now considered as an antique, it makes us face our age, and no one really wants to do that. Gene

XXL__ likes this.
  24. Bechtel 56

Bechtel 56

Old cars didn't last if you got 100k miles on a vehicle you got a "good one"..25 years old was ancient

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

czuch, jazz1 and belair like this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This kind of touches on what I have been thinking as I read all the posts. That is, the classification of something as an ‘antique’ or equivalent term has a lot to do with it’s normal useful life span.

A house or commercial building is often good enough for 100 years. Some more, some less, but 100 is not all that uncommon. An automobile, on the other hand, for several decades, typically had a useful life of 10 to 15 years.....not just sitting dormant, but being used regularly. As motor vehicles have incorporated greater durability their potential useful lives have expanded, but still, the average vehicle goes to scrap much sooner than buildings. And most cars/trucks do go to scrap....causing those that don’t to be noteworthy.

My point is, ‘antique’ is a relative term. It is no accident that us old guys, being human beings with average life spans hovering around 80, tend to think something only 25 years old is not an antique.....ir’s just a young whippersnapper by our measure. But in ‘dog years’....that’s really old.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

None of us will live long enough for this argument to be resolved. Time is passing quickly.......

27. Yes but they will also say that you can't drive it everyday.

28. everything is relative, the older you get the younger other things get.

I have to admit That until the engine died at over 400K miles I drove a '91 Ford with historic tags.

29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

In 2000 I gave my then15 year old nephew a 22 year old 1978 Malibu. He work at the shop summers and weekends and I taught him how to work on it and it was a cool high school cruiser. His friends thought it was a cool old "Hot Rod" . He still has it and now his 12 year old daughter's friends see it and say that's a real "Old Car" ! lol It is now 41 years old. But no one has ever called it antique, just Cool ! Larry

Hnstray and bdynpnt like this.
  30. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

That reminds me of the first time my 10-year-old granddaughter went for a ride in my 1988 jeep wrangler she asked how do you get the windows down. she had never seen a manual window crank

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

0NE BAD 51 MERC and Hnstray like this.