Register now to get rid of these ads!

definition of a candy paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

every one knows the look good, but what exactly is a "candy" paint. what makes it any differnt from a normal paint? both in what its made from and even more what it looks like.

can you have any colored candy? candy black?

just curious
    tim

2. old beet

old beet

Licorice......................OLDBEET

3. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

translucent color over a basecoat

candy black - try it, lets see! I have long distant plans to try black metalflake but my grandkids will have to help hold the spray gun while I use the free hand to hold up my Depends adult undergarments by the time I get around to it. Although by then they may have anti-gravity Depends.

4. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I believe the candy coat can come in about any color you want and it is a translucent color, and the final look depends on what basecoat was used, the candy coat just tints it.

5. old beet

old beet

Maybe some of the artist guys will reply, I don't think black and white are "colors",they call them sumptin else?.....OLDBEET

6. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe the candy coat can come in about any color you want and it is a translucent color, and the final look depends on what basecoat was used, the candy coat just tints it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's the righ track. Transparent candy colors depend greatly on their base coat. A candy red will look worlds different on a bright silver base than a grey base. I have transparent black in my tint rack, but a few coats over top of silver base I think will eventually just look black. Same with Metalflake base...I think the black may just block the light from entering and relecting back out. Just hypothetical combos though, if anyone's tried it'd be interesting to hear. As a side note I had a roll cage powdercoated in two stage, silver and then transparent red. It came out beautiful, it's amazing what they can do with powdercoating these days.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I thought "black cherry" was candy red over a black base. It looks black everywhere except were the light gets reflected back through the red tinted clear. I've seen it done in blue and green. I love the look.

8. DrJ

DrJ

9. Tommy, one of my cars was pearl red over black. You need the pearl to give it a nice red shimmer. Only really showed up in the sun on the edges and rounded areas, hard to see on flat panels. A lot of the new 2 or 3 part paints give a candy apple appearance that is hard to tell from real candy paint.

10. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

This is new to me, but gazing over the H.O.K. selection at the local paint shop, it amazed me how you can have a basecoat or 'shimrin'-type of base coat, like gold, yet have a the final mix come out... not gold. It's an interesting science in the nature of color mixing, in a way. But unfortunately it also seems like, at least with H.O.K., a set of different applications, a lil' more so than with the PPG type I'm planning. If I had the bread for it, I might look more into it, though.

11. ikillspies

ikillspies
    from Minnesota

house of kolor is too expensive

12. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Are you planning on thinking of candies for yer project, Tim? Don't know if they offer candies, but I'd look into PPG's own off-brand name Omni, 'tis what I'm planning for my project. It's from the same company, just under a different name, much much cheaper.

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've painted many, many, candy paint jobs, so I've had the chance to experiment a bit with different colors, applications, basecoats, candycoats, etc. I just hate painting something "out of the can", even if it's a candy or pearl..Gotta make it different, somehow....
    So, I, too, was interested in seeing of I can do a candy black. Transparent black IS the trick, but putting enough on to make it really look BLACK over, say, a silver base, is the trick. Too little, and it's a dark grey, and too much and you don't see the silver metallic base....ergo, not a candy look.
    The best success I've had is to use a special transparent black from Sid Moses, He also carries a complete line of 'flake, and pearls. Put about 5-6 coats of this over HOK's black pearl Shimrin. Pretty dark color. A bit lighter, but more 'sparkly', is to use HOK's Galaxy grey Shimrin, mixed half and half with regular black Shimrin. Then put the 'black candy' over it. A bit lighter, but closer to what I'd call a black candy. The black over black pearl is much subtler, and less metallic looking.
    My versions of black cherry and the other colors usually start with the half and half mix of Galaxy grey and black, then the candy color over it. VERY nice look, more dramatic than just candy over regular black!

14. It's paint you can eat!

Geez don't you guys know anything [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

How many times have you heard the term Candy Apple Red used to describe a Fire Engine Red solid?