Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration DEDICATED PINSTRIPING THREAD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 11, 2020.

1. It's been a while since we had a pinstriping thread, anyone have some new striping or want to share some work that you have done or had done. HRP

2. BDUB77

BDUB77

I'll kick it off with some stuff my neighbor has done for me.
    IMG_4040.JPG IMG_3547.JPG IMG_3548.JPG IMG_3549.JPG

Attached Files:

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

4. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Thanks.

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. How about some striping in progress. My old friend, Larry Fator, adding some character to my gas tank. [​IMG]

10. More from my uncle's truck....his beloved Betty. 20200511_172128.jpg

Blues4U, Uribe, echo ed and 4 others like this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

So many photos lost* or not taken*,over time.
    Today phone/cell cams are taken for the granted.
    I'm reminded of that each time I go back an hunt what few photos I have been able too kept from the 50s , 60s.n on.
    I striped maybe 100 cars,painted names an did flames. Had a lot of fun airbrushing Wild car T-shirts at indoor car shows in Florida from 1959 to 65,under my art name of "The Bat".
    Afterward using most of my spare time racing,I still painted my own an a few buddy's.
    Having known a number of other stripers along the way,I found one oddity amung us; Many didn't strip our own cars=We were to fuzzy about it,an if we did,would take it back off after a short time. I did it too many times an just removed the striping.
    On my race cars,I did flames,with my pinstriped out line as a tip of hat to my earlyer hot rod days. About 2 doz.+ cars over the years.
    This is a pic of one of my racers ,I airbrushed a Dragon on,to spit flames around the car,this time.
    Seemed like a good idea to add the Dragon to my standard paint layout, I'd been using for years. But in fact the other race drivers would try to kill the Dragon. Image-25a.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  13. He (my uncle) ran Bonneville 54/55/56 but not sure what the injected GMC with a Wayne Horning head ran but surly the 195AH roadster did run fuel at some point during it's West Coast runs.....it was his little way on his last ride to make a point I guess - the pin stripper did not do his signature on the tailgate....but I think I have it on a tool box from back in those days......

catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Old school pin striping on my 5 window. HRP

[​IMG]

15. dellyjonut

dellyjonut
    from St. louis

IMG_2683.JPG IMG_2746.JPG IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0180.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. egads

egads

Von Hot Rod did this for my Galaxie. DSC00139.JPG

Dyno Dave, putz, papadaddio and 5 others like this.
  17. 3quarter32

3quarter32

18. One of these days I will get my buddy Kyle Ambrose (lowheat here) to stripe something automotive for me...but so far he has only done lots of awards for our Hot Rod Hundred events. I sure like his style though. :cool:

FA6D4DB6-00CF-4048-B63F-D97BBADD2ED2.jpeg CB08B31D-1E07-4B26-A435-DAB0463BEAD4.jpeg F5280C0E-89CF-48AD-B97C-631058BD83DA.jpeg 774D15D7-E6C0-4E3F-829A-EA41FDC1EBDF.jpeg 3B7E24E6-1960-405C-AFEA-7476584B48DF.jpeg

19. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

20. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Unfortunately I don't have much time to practice striping anymore, but maybe once a year or so I like to do some striping or lettering just to smell the paint a bit.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Phill Whetstone did these for me.....
    D33F47B7-BD15-4F98-ABAE-8AA9D8957D76.jpeg

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

62 years of So Cal history in hot rods and of course, art. Pinstriping and flames to be exact. There have been many pinstriper artists in So Cal. I have seen plenty of art work from those famous ones that we have all seen in the magazines and tv shows. The work is outstanding and timely.

Since detailing paint jobs and various things takes skill, time and a very steady hand. We have always been impressed with those that have that skill. Our early trials with thin brushes were the beginning. Then we tried to do the same techniques after reading all about pinstriping in the mags. The real pinstriping brushes were bought and more practice took place on just about everything that moved and did not move, notebooks, Pee Chee folders, school assignments, etc.
    upload_2020-8-6_4-13-57.png
    When the projects got to be close to a real car, then it was shaky and our skills were not up to par. Smaller items did not look bad, but the larger the surface and the longer the lines, the worse it looked. Those professional guys have that skill that is admirable. So, we sit back and let the professionals do the expert detailing pinstriping projects.

Dennis Ricklefs comes to mind…
    upload_2020-8-6_4-14-30.png
    Jnaki

There are plenty of people doing flames and pinstriping on a variety of surfaces. There are even guys/girls that set up a booth at car shows to do an “on the spot pinstriping art” on whatever surface is available.

So Cal locals like Phil Whetstone (HAMB @PHILLY THE GREEK) have mobile services that allow him to come to your build or project. Check out the website: http://pwhetstone.com/index.html
    upload_2020-8-6_4-15-17.png upload_2020-8-6_4-15-27.png

Here is a great story on So Cal local, Dennis Ricklefs. There are others that have similar skills, but the top guys seem to be ever lasting. One of the So Cal locals had a small shop in a small industrial area and kept doing business until it just was time to close the shop. It was a sad day as pinstriping is a skill that is not a thing to pass on to the next generation. You have to have those artistic skills and a lot of patience, as well as a good client base.

upload_2020-8-6_4-16-16.png
    upload_2020-8-6_4-16-30.png
    upload_2020-8-6_4-16-46.png
    Quality brushes help, but it is the artist's skill, not the tool.

23. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I love pinstriping and I always loved doing years ago but the most important thing to learn is when to stop.
    When I see cars or trucks where every single body line has pinstriping it starts to lose the desired effect.

You want people to look at your car or truck and then say the pinstriping adds the perfect touch to it
    When they walk up to your car and just talk about the pinstriping and not the car or truck you have added too much pinstriping in my opinion.

Lowrider guys make this mistake most of the time.
    Please don't get me wrong I love good clean pinstriping but you can overdue any special effect and then it starts to look crazy.
    Jimbo

ckdesigns, WB69, das858 and 5 others like this.
  24. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Lucky enough to own a rod striped by a master, Josh Shaw.....

Attached Files:

25. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

26. That looks great, you don't see a lot og stripping on wheels anymore. HRP

[​IMG]

Jim Bouchard and catdad49 like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-8-8_4-29-37.png
    Hello,
    From those early hot rod years of experimenting with flames on everything, bicycles, wagons, welding torch bottle cart, and even our lawnmower, the skills developed. But, are still lacking the long line smoothness and smooth curves. The paint is there, the brush support positioning is there, the trial errors are there, so, it is the definition of the saying: "It's the carpenter, not the tool."

One of the things I was able to do was draw some custom flames and pinstriping to make the “adult” size scooter attractive. The all black paint attracted people to come up and see how the scooter was made, but it needed something else. The red flames and yellow pinstriping did the trick. When we were taking a break from scooting all over the So Cal Dana Point Harbor, the scooter was placed upside down to keep it from rolling away. Now, the red flames on the black background stood out from a distance. It was like drawing bees to flowers.
    upload_2020-8-8_4-31-22.png old, original design
    I had wanted to start a business and keep it small, working from our garage. The original design was based on a new/old Sims Skateboard blank we purchased for a dollar at the Goleta Drive-In Swap Meet in the Santa Barbara region. From that, our business licence allowed us to go to the manufacturer of the wheels, decks, and bicycle accessories to get set up with dealer costs.
    upload_2020-8-8_4-32-9.png Team rider #1 upload_2020-8-8_4-32-35.png
    upload_2020-8-8_4-32-48.png
    The original catalog flyer for the different models, from toddlers to pre-teen/teen to full size pops and moms, too.
    upload_2020-8-8_4-33-19.png The crew on a neighborhood search for fun…

Jnaki

Also, when I rode the black “adult scooter” on the beach trail, those young surfers were impressed with the old guy zipping by them. On the sand, I turned the scooter upside down to show the red flames on the black background. From out in the water, it was a beacon on where the “stuff” was located on the beach. The full size scooter and surfboard fit easily inside of any station wagon.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    mitch 36, HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.