Register now to get rid of these ads!

Deco A/C vents?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuiltFerComfort, Mar 12, 2011.

  1. BuiltFerComfort
    Joined: Jan 24, 2007
    Posts: 1,620


    Wanting styling ideas and sources for A/C vents that will look good in a 1939 Chrysler dash. Long post follows, sorry, wanting you to know my thinking.

    I have a 39 Chrysler sedan (big car), working on adding air conditioning to it (I will get the biggest Gen IV Vintage Air unit, it will fit and I need the capacity). But I don't like any of the A/C vent options I can find. Maybe the HAMBers can help with styling ideas or vent sources? I want to make it look like it came with the car, that may be a several-phase process.

    The styling of the car is "late Deco", square with rounded corners, plenty of chrome and shiny stainless. (picture below). Nothing is round on the dash, it's all rectangles with rounded corners, so I don't want round vents.

    The vents need to be rectangular, chrome, preferably metal (or good OEM grade 'chrome plastic' in a pinch). They need to have good volume, and be able to turn off and aim in different directions. And they need to be available online, I have some issues at home that mean I have to stay nearby, I can't do a junkyard crawl. A 60s or GM AC vent might work, if I could get a set, but I can't find them - and I'm not sure that's what I should be looking for anyway.

    I'm thinking of adding a 2" panel the length of the dash to hold the new vents, or put them in pods - if I can find vents I like. Pods to hold the vents may be a temporary solution (or a long-term solution if I can make the pods look good). I can make pods or the panel fit the vents, but I can't find decent vents. Vintage Air's look too cheezy, and most of the other brand decent looking ones are round or black.

    So, Ideas? The HAMB is great for people with ideas :D

    Dash looks like this (not my car, but same model):[​IMG]
  2. nofin
    Joined: Jan 7, 2010
    Posts: 321

    from australia

    I can see why you want square vents, but since the actual guages are round in square openings, you could make the oblong panel with rounded corners, have a square cutout with these sort of old aircraft style adjustable vents in it. Maybe...

    Attached Files:

  3. BuiltFerComfort
    Joined: Jan 24, 2007
    Posts: 1,620


    I like that look but it's more an early 50s vibe. And I need to move a lot of air, quietly if I can - those vents whistle.

    And yes, round balls in square pods might work too, good idea, thanks.

    On some Chevy sites I've seen replacement chrome A/C balls but not the housing except pricey ones custom fit to 57 dashes. On that auction site tight now there is a whole ball vent assembly off a 1970 or so GMC truck, it screws onto the bottom of the dash. I would need 4 of them, I doubt I could find that many, unless some Hamber has them and is ready to part with them.
  4. nrgwizard
    Joined: Aug 18, 2006
    Posts: 1,258

    from Minn. uSA

    Hey, Tom;

    It's been a long time since I've seen these, but IIRC, the mid 60's Caddies & 66->68 Toro had chrome round ball a/c exits, in a square/rectangular pod in the dash.


  5. BuiltFerComfort
    Joined: Jan 24, 2007
    Posts: 1,620


    That's kind of what I remember too, but where would I find that sort of thing these days? Not much in that era is repopped, at least not dash stuff.

    If anyone has any stashed away, or a mid-to-late 60s Caddy (or other big GM maybe?) parts car with removable A/C vents & housings, please PM me.
  6. auto shop
    Joined: Aug 20, 2005
    Posts: 284

    auto shop
    from kentucky

    Put the vents on the kick panels not the dash and a double vent in center under dash worked for me.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.