Register now to get rid of these ads!

Decisions decisions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elrobo818, Feb 6, 2009.

1. elrobo818

elrobo818

Here's my dilemma...

So my 52 ford customline is my daily/only driver...

Im starting to believe that i might need something more reliable...

Sooo... I either sell my car (which i would really hate to do) and use the money to buy a newer car... =(

or fix it up to make it as reliable as possible...

I mean the car starts up and runs every day... But its got oil leaks and what not and im starting to think theres a fuel leak as well...

Like i've said before, i have very little experience with cars... This is my first and only car and i'd hate to see her go...

If theres anyone out here in the san fernando valley thats got the want, space, and know how to help me out i'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

-robo.

2. S.F.

S.F.

Dont let a few leaks stop you, fix it and enjoy it. You dont have to deal with -3 temps and Snow and salt during hard winters like we do in Ohio. If I lived where you live Id drive a 50's car year around. Thats my 2 cents.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Fix it and enjoy it forever. It will certainly be cheaper than fixing anything late model.

4. elrobo818

elrobo818

hey you're right... I should quit my complainin... Lol

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

You will always regret selling your car, especially a 50s ride.

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

Fix it... even knew cars break down....

7. Of course we are going to say to stick with the old car.

If you were to sell it, do you think you would have a better time (and cheaper time) fixing a newer car?

There are few things simpler to work on than a pre-60's American car.

Leaks could just be loose bolts. And if its too hard to fix, as long as it doesn't piss out quarts of oil each day, let it go. Just check the oil.

Any fuel leak is going to be either the tank or the line or rubber hoses in between.

If its rubber hoses, I'm sure you can figure out how to undo a couple of hose clamps and fix it.

New cars are absolute crap. They last for a while before they start to go, but if you sell the Ford, anything you buy used will be at its end life already.
    They build them to make it through the warranty, and if you are lucky it doesn't have a major shit before its paid off.

If you have the time, take an automotive course at one of the local colleges. Pierce college had a good one. Maybe they still do.

8. elrobo818

elrobo818

you know what... i should look into that... i've had a lot on my plate these past two months... but im starting to get some free time... hopefully theres a night class i can go to.

9. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Wait, these old cars aren't supposed to leak? That's news to me!

10. Pierce College had night classes.

I say had because its been over 20 years since I went there.

I'm sure they didn't kill that program, it was huge.

11. elrobo818

elrobo818

its got a pretty good leak going... But then again... What do i know right? Im just a rookie...

12. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Get under there and try to see where it's coming from... Might be something as simple as an oil pan gasket, or an "O" ring on the drain plug and just a small length of fuel line that needs to be replaced.

Even a rookie can do that, I've got faith in you. :)

But seriously, this is how you learn.

13. elrobo818

elrobo818

ya see... thats news to me... if i get under there and find where the leak is comin from i wouldnt know what to do anyway... i gotta catch up on my reading.

14. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

You're in Southern California, I'm sure there's at least one guy in your neighborhood that knows something about cars...

15. As far as the oil leak, what is a pretty good leak?

Constant dripping while running, or a couple of drips each day? Alot of people park in the same spot, so a relatively minor leak looks like a big one after a while.

Like said above, it could be the oil drain plug leaking. If you never change the oil, the filter could be leaking. Valve covers, oil pan, crank seals?

Its hard to tell on a dirty oily engine. Take it to the car wash and pressure wash it. Make sure all oil pan bolts are snug, valve cover ones too.

Find and fix the fuel leak, its probably a bad hose or loose clamp.

We are happy to give advice, but the car is at your house, so you have to do the work.

16. I just read one of your replies above. If you are that unfamiliar with cars, go to a book store or library and check out some books on auto repair.

I'm not putting you down. But you have to have some basics.

17. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

If you come out towards the IE some weekend we can look at it together.

Then I'll make you fix it while I tell you what to do. ;):D

It can leak some stuff but not gas, we got to be safe on the road.

Mike

www.Customikes.com

18. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

fix it and drive. once its gone its twice as had to get it back. unfortunatly you just cant trade a honda civic for a good custom these days:rolleyes:

19. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Utilize this board and the knowledge available. Fix the car and keep rolling. There are already to many Hondas and Toyotas on the road. Be different.

20. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Selling a car because it leaks would be a real shame. Take the above advise and go with it.Once you sell or trade it, it's gone for good and I guess we can all assume that you got the car because you liked it. That said, take the time to take care of the problems and keep cruisin. I'm sure there has got to be a boatload of help in your area if you really need it