Register now to get rid of these ads!

decided to split my exhaust today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supervert, Feb 4, 2013.

1. supervert

supervert

on my 51 plymouth. i heated it up in the oven for about a half an hour then took them out and buzzed them up with some fluxcore with the mig gun, then tossed them back in the oven for a little longer. then i pulled them and shot them with some vht and then let them cool real slow in the oven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im also putting on a offy intake. just need to put it all back together over the next few days. then its back on the rack to do some exhaust work. right now it has a single with a glasspack, so when i add the second one i think im going to try it straight piped. if its to much i will toss on another glasspack or just order up a pair of porters.

2. mattrod68

mattrod68

awesome! ive always wanted to have a 6 cylinder so i could try this, and porters FTW, hope to get mine on this week or next.

matt

3. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Looks good! I hope yours works better than mine did! I ended up having to buy a split header... it was my first attempt at welding cast iron though.

My chevy six sounds great with just straight pipes, I bet that plymouth will sound sweet too!

4. supervert

supervert

this was my second time, the first time i did it was experimental on some cracked boat manifolds. i did it just like this time, heated them to 400 in the oven, weld with mig, put back in the oven and turn it off to let them cool slow.

i know you are supposed to use nic. rod, but i didnt feel like draggin out the arc welder. so i gave it a try again like last time and it worked out great.

5. mattrod68

mattrod68

why flux core? or is it just what you had?

ive always heard brazing works as well but just hearsay

6. supervert

supervert

Ya. Its what was loaded in my 180 at the time. And my big welder isnt hooked upright now because I just got done putting a new panel in my garage. I keep flux in my small one because I use it outside a lot. But it seems towk very good on the cast. Just make sure the part is hot as hell.

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

nice work...

8. supervert

supervert

so, i got it all back together. now i have to drive slower in the neighborhood so i dont piss of everybody:D, cause this thing is angry now.

it really helped on the freeway, and it pulls harder rowing through the gears.
    befoer on the freeway it would run out of poop at 2300 rpm's doing roughly 70 and that's with the .67 od in the t5 and 3.73 gears in the rear. now it still pulls at 2500. it is a noticeable difference. now im thinking of milling the head.

i still need to clean some stuff up, like the heater hose. i cut it to hook up the manifold heat, but the manifold leaked like crazy. so now i need to get some more hose. and i also need to re do the linkage instead of the ghetto allthread, but i wanted to make sure it worked before i spent the time and money making it all nice

so on with a few more pics

i would also like to re do the fuel lines to, looks kinda goofy stickin out in the breeze

[​IMG]

had to massage the firewall to get the intake to fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one you can see how i did the linkage

[​IMG]