Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***December 2019 Banger Thread. Hey Santa!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Just a little December fun!! Gotta love the Banger thread!

Jet96, barrnone50 and railcarmover like this.
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess that a leak down test might be the next thing to see if it is leaking past the rings and pressurizing the crankcase, past a valve or cylinder to cylinder

3. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Pull the head and the pan. You can have those pistons out of there in an hour or two and you'll know what is going on. My suspicion is you've got some broken rings.

rwrj likes this.
  4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years. Better late than never, a friend came over and helped get my garage organized. Built some counters and we got some lights up, now I have a bit of space. So, today, I pulled out the piles. Got the radiator and supports/hood sills mocked. Cut a fire wall. Rechecked the rear drop with new gas tank in place. Laid out the front set back and put some thought into the dumb irons. Don’t know if I am happy with the pinched top of the hood. Will have a go at the cowl. Have fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

The37Kid, winduptoy, Old Dawg and 3 others like this.
  5. 97

Did you check the block between the two center cylinders? they often are low in that area! OR stuck/bent valves or broken /cracked pistons?

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yes but still checking things ……………. thanks

7. It's probably '51 or, in all probability a '52! (they imported more them in '52) The '50s mostly were right hand drive; and the '53s had the windshield wiper motor in the middle of the windshield! (the '53's also had tail lights different than all the previous years!

mctim64 and Jet96 like this.
  8. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Thanks Old Dawg!

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. dbshelton

dbshelton

I gotta start hanging out here more. Starting engine mods for my 30 A Huckster. Started with Glasspack and 2" exhaust. Next is dual updraft Tilly carbs.
    and Lion Speed head.

Dannerr and Jet96 like this.
  10. FlyinA

FlyinA

Hey guys, a gentleman I'm selling a roadster body to has offered me a OHV head as credit toward the body. He has 2 that I can pick from, either a new in box Charlie Yapp Riley or a good, complete 1936 Miller Hi-Speed Head. Which one do you think is the one to go for?
    I'm leaning towards the Miller because I have a soft spot for original old speed equipment but I'm not sure.

Dannerr likes this.
  11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I would get the new riley !@!!

12. That is a good question. Both have potential issues.
    The first thing I would ask you is what your intended purpose other than payment?
    If you intend on running the motor as a touring car, I think I would lean towards the newer head, better casting and quality technology. If you are dead set on the Miller, make sure there are no cracks before trying to run. When I say that, I mean take the valves out and pressure check it. You will be very disappointed if it is cracked in a port or chamber.
    Either one will perform, if you want more reliability, you might be better served to buy a new OHV.

Let us know how it goes, John

Old Dawg likes this.
  13. Jiminy

Jiminy

14. railcarmover

railcarmover

two updrafts > 1 updraft..... 1 downdraft>two updrafts

15. Happy New Year All! Gonna have some fun this year in my 31 pickup. 2020!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

Dannerr, burl, waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  16. mdimages

mdimages

this holding up well due to it not being tapered? I need to do some fixing on my b block
    Thanks Matt

17. Jiminy

Jiminy

18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Matt,
    It is doing fine....I use Locktite 620 High Temp retaining compound.
    Also I use a tap with a long taper and don't let it brake thru the back side so that the screw actually bindes in the tapped hole. If you are doing a B block, in the exhaust port, you will need to grind a punch with a radius on it like the radius on a small ball peen hammer, to peen the ends, that is another way they stay stuck in the hole and seal up

Good luck and keep up appraised on your progress

Jet96 and Dannerr like this.