Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** December 2015 Banger Meet - Naughty but good at it ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 1, 2015.

1. höllenteufel

höllenteufel

I'm in!

Got a question about cams. Already opened a thread for it, so I don't have to spam the banger meet thread with a big discussion.

Copied my question and the link to the thread below. Would be cool if I can have some opinions of you experienced banger guys.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-cam-for-b-banger.1003399/

"Hello everybody,

for my '29 coupe I have a B banger wich I wanna hop up. Plan is:
    Lion Speed Head III, scalded dod intake, reds headers 4into2, FS ignition with flame thrower coil, 1 stromberg 97 carb, insert main bearings and rods with inserts. Now the question what camshaft do I throw in that banger?
    I thought about three options:

Bill Stipe Winfield A/B Racegrind - $165
    Bill Stipe 340 Touring cam (great low and mid range torque, as they say) - $409
    Bill Stipe Road Runner 340 (low and mid range power as they say) - $409
    Think I would go with the larger intake valves also, cause I have to give the engine to the machine shop anyway.

What would be the best price/performance ratio?
    And, would it be good to run adjustable lifters or would the 1.1 diameter non adjustable good enough?

Thanks for your help
    Luke"

cheers
    Luke

2. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Luke, see the attached link for some details on Bill Stipe cams and the recommended lifters to use. I have recently bought a 340 touring cam, but haven't installed it yet, so can't comment on performance gain over the touring grind cam I currently have installed. Last time I checked, there was a bit of a wait to get new cams from Bill Stipe, but I managed to get one of the shelf from AER ( http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com ) Good luck with your engine.

3. 97

if you already decided on a Bill Stipe cam, why don't you just ask the man who grinds the cams, which one is best for you? I mean you already have the rest of your hot banger planned , and with the exception of a couple of other cam grinders who hang out here I doubt that anybody is better qualified to help with that. Jim Brierley comes to mind, have you read his book on hot bangers?
    4-bangers and me... by Jim Brierley. His email is jim[email protected]

4. höllenteufel

höllenteufel

97. Yes. That's the next step to contact Bill and check his opinion.

Didn't read his book so far. Will write him, if he can send me one over to Germany.

5. Luke,
    In my opinion, go with a Good regrind cam and use the saved money to attend to other things. (Jim Brierley comes to mind) Besides, cams can be changed if you decide.
    Your build sounds good, with inserted mains and rods, spending some on a full filtered pressure system would complete it.
    The adjustable lifters are a must, and good valve springs.
    Be careful with larger valves, castings are thin especially if doing seats.
    Use a lightened flywheel and V8 9" clutch.

John

6. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

^hay John, when you use a lightened flywheel and V8 clutch with a A trans and motor, do you use the A TO bearing and arm? If so, does it all line up ok with the V8 pressure plate or does it need mods?
    Thanks, Johnny

7. höllenteufel

höllenteufel

That's a good question. I have a full synchronized 4 speed trans of a 76 Ford Taunus. Modified to take the model b bell housing and fits to the A torque tube. Does the B shaft fit in the V8 clutch?

I saw that AER sells an A flywheel modified for the V8 clutch. Same mods an the B wheel? Or does the V8 bolt on a B flywheel without mods?

http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/extras.html

8. The "A" TO arm and bearing works fine on the V8 clutch.
    The "B" inputshaft spline is same as V8, may need shortened, I don't remember.
    No, V8 clutch requires mods to "B" flywheel. All metal removal, usually at the same time you do the lightening.
    I would also add 2 bolts to crank/flywheel for total of 6 plus the pins.
    Most of this information is on the first page of the Monthly Banger Thread, I don't like reading it either, but it is organized pretty well. If you machineshop is not familiar with doing work on these motors, you had better inform them before you make any chips.
    Happy Holidays, John

Dannerr likes this.
  9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the v8 on an A needs the wholes redrilled to match .

If you machineshop is not familiar with doing work on these motors .... find one that does

Dannerr likes this.
  10. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Thank you John!
    Yea, I know I need to go back and check the 1st page more regularly as a refresher. Thanks for the reminder and info.
    V4F, thanks as well.
    Happy New Year everyone!
    Johnny

11. Jiminy

Jiminy