Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Decarbonizing engine with water

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mumbles pinstriping, Sep 8, 2015.

1. I seen this on you tube after watching videos of seafoam pretty much you poor water in your hot reved up engine intake until the smoke is clean in the exhuast . Then you take it for test drive to get everything coat with oil again before shutting off any swear by this?

2. I was told by old time mechanics to do that. I tried it a couple of times but couldn't really say that it helped anything in my situation. Don't pour enough to flood it.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

JC Whitney used to sell a water injector kit. Anyone remember??

4. 327Eric

327Eric

Mix brake fluid in with your water. I use a I liter Pepsi bottle with about1/4 to I/2 inch brake fluid to water. Warm up the engine fully. Hold the rpms up to between 2 and 3,00 rpms Dribble the water in the venturi, until the motor hesitates, stop dribbling, and feather the throttle until it smooths out, repeat in the other venturi and back and forth, unless its an inline of course, until out of water. Be very conservative with the rate you dribble. It will work in a carboned up engine, and makes a lot of stream/ smoke if really carved up. I've done it this way many times, either to save an engine(De carbon the ring lands), or as a poor mans tune up.

5. stimpy

stimpy

do not do it to a catalytic equipped car as the carbon bits can clog the honeycomb inside up and plug it solid ( had a few come to me this way on cars and trucks with bad valve guides or rings )

we use a spray bottle to spray the water mist in while holding it at 2500 rpm ( lower on a diesel ) , it blows any chunks of carbon out of the cylinder that might be causing a hotspot and pinging .

on diesels we do it to clean the motor if a injector failed and went rich thus carboning up the piston head or prechamber port

and yep the whitney kit was to help control detonation not really for cleaning the carbon out .

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you pull the head that's got a bad gasket and leaking coolant it's pretty easy to tell which cylinder.

7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I believe Holley or Edelbrock had that too. I thought that was for detonation also.

8. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Used it on a Briggs and Stratton once, just to see if it worked. It did.

9. I also did it to mower work great for that 20 yr old engine.my daily driver has a bad cat so wont be trying it on that any one bent a rod trying lol

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Years ago I made a gadget out of an old winshield washer bottle and pump, a plug for the cigar lighter outlet, and a washer nozzle on the end of a hose. The washer bottle went on the floor beside the driver, the hose went under the hood and into the air filter with the spray nozzle pointing into the carburetor.

Get going about 60 MPH on the hiway with the engine warmed up and plug her in. After a minute or 2 the engine would start to miss so I would pull out the plug. After a couple of miles the engine would smooth out so giver another shot. 20 miles of driving would use up a quart of water or washer fluid and clean out the carbon from the engine.

If I use it again I will figure out a restriction to slow the water flow so I can let it run continuously.

PS I used a double barrel squirter to feed both sides of a 2 barrel or 4 barrel carb. I remember the squirter came off an old Chrysler minivan but don't remember if it was windshield or back window, but I think it was back window. A tie wrap held it to the air cleaner hold down bolt and kept proper aim.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    captaintaytay likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

engines that I have seen with water in cylinders were rusted, no carbon. did have a low sounding internal engine knock that was due to carbon build up around valves - did the dribble into carb trick with automatic trans fluid until it cleared up - did not take long

12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

When I was in basic training in 1971 I had a hard nose (ALL of them were!) drill sgt. with a 64 389 pontiac that never got off the army base. It was so carboned up it hardly ran. He knew I was a gear head cause I was readin hotrod mags every chance I got. One night he asked me why his big poncho was running so shitty, I told him it was carboned up and needed a drink of water. He threw me the keys and said to check it out. He watched me dump a beer bottle full of water down the AFB, the black shit rolled out of it and I told him to get it on the four lane and run the hell out of it. He said jump in, he took me off base and the harder he pushed it the better it ran. He even stoped and bought a 12 pack which was a real no-no for him to give beer to a trainee. Made my life alot easier the rest of basic for helping him out and I think it may have had something to do with getting me into wheeled vehicle advanced training insted of infantry like 90% of the rest of my company did!

bajones238 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Every Friday afternoon, I ran a cup of water through my carb, engine was (still is) an LS5 from a '70 Vette.

Never had an issue with doing it, and have done it many times on 'smogged" cars, prior to the sniffer.

Water (well steam) is a powerful thing:)

14. ................Great story.

15. This procedure is in Henry's factory service manual.

16. Before I retired, I kept a fleet of vehicles running for the local municipality....2 of them were '83 ford rangers with 2.3 four bangers and automatics that idled around the city, checking parking meters and about every 6 weeks they'd carbon up to the point of knocking....carbon between pistons and head.
    I'd warm them up fully and fill a 2 lb coffee can...squeeze one side into a "V" to pour from. I'd rev those little 2.3s to about 3000 rpm and begin pouring water down the carb. I'd open the throttle wide open and regulate rpm with the water stream, pouring the entire contents down the carb. Worked great!
    I forgot to clean one of them out before going on vacation one year and when I got back I found the guys had kept driving a knocking engine until a rod bearing was destroyed...No mas ranger.

17. chargin03

chargin03

It worked for me had a ford station wagon that had a carbon knock.