Register now to get rid of these ads!

Death shake straight axle. Why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merctruck, Mar 15, 2012.

1. larry k

larry k

do this---do that---:confused: to get the final answer, call dick spadaro ,he is a early ford suspension master,,,,, !,race cars, hot rods, drag cars he has set "em" all up at some point his life, when is comes to suspension he sees all ,, knows all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Without pictures showing the front end geometery, setup, and condition of components and wheels, it's pretty damn hard to diagnose the problem. Pics, or there is no death wobble! :)

3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Install a steering damper as recommended by most front axle componets suppliers.

Cooter likes this.
  4. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Did I miss what type of truck we are talking about?

5. banjorear

banjorear

Not always.

6. papastoyss

papastoyss

The steering stabilizer most commonly used on rods is actually a steering damper from an air cooled VW. There are several types, Bus, Std. Bug, Super Beetle w/different mounting arrangements. If you have no worn suspension parts or tire issues a stabilizer would be a low price upgrade. I worked on VWs for many years & know for a fact you can't hardly hold one in the road w/a bad steering damper.

Cooter likes this.
  7. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Yep, new Speedway motors piece.

8. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

make sure tires are good ,no broke belts or out of balance ...make sure all steering parts are in good condition, set caster at 4 degrees.

9. richie rebel

richie rebel

my problem was a bad steering box(vega style) bad bearing in the pitman arm shaft

10. gerrald meacham

gerrald meacham

lower the air pressure in one tire to about 15 lbs see how it does. front tire

11. Leaning the axle back creates "positive" caster.
    You are right my bad but I still run 1/2 degree neg camber in mine but each to their own

12. I was able to resolve the problem after I followed lots of advice that resulted in replacing every part in the front end and realigning it. After many bald spots from pulling my hair out I said screw it and bought new tires and solved the problem. Thanks to all that offered advice and solutions. This is why I love the H.A.M.B. so much people are always willing to help a fellow rodder in need.

13. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

Google scrub factor and it makes logic