Register now to get rid of these ads!

dearborn transmission.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mysteryman, Apr 22, 2011.

1. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

i picked up a manual trans. supposely came out of old old pontiac or buick??? put it in chevelle had to modify bellhousing bolt holes. everything worked fine.transmission said FORD on it.someone said its a toploader???used behind the 455's since they had so much torque.they said they called it a dearborn.??does this sound true??

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  2. Gm didn't offer a 3-speed that would stand up to the torque rating of the higher HP V-8s. So they chose a Dearborn"FORD" trans. All the more reason to order a 4 speed. BTW Most Chevy V-8s of that era didn't need a Heavy Duty trans Whats that tell ya??? Muncie did make a 3 speed but it was light duty. Saginaw was the norm for all other 3-speed applications.

http://carburetor-manual.com/dearbo...ission-service-repair-manual-ebook-p-310.html

3. chubbie

chubbie

the dearborn transmission was a heavy duty 3 speed option in the BOP GM cars that was sincronized in all 3 gears. I think GM's first 3 speed sincro trans was in 1968??

4. 73RR

73RR

1966. I used one in a 55 Poncho way back in '67 or so.

5. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

The first time I saw a Ford transmission in a Pontiac was in 1968. I was working in a gas station and was doing an oil change on a 1967 GTO. When I went to pull the side plug on the 3-speed transmission to check the fluid level I noticed it was a Top Loader Ford. Later that night I told my buddies what I had seen and no one believed me.

6. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

That 3-speed Ford trans was really tough. Because it wasn't as cool as a 4-speed hot rodders mostly ignored it.

There was also a time when Ford used GM transmissions. '50s Lincolns had Hydra-Matic transmissions. The Lincoln units had a different color ID tag than the ones used in GM cars. Rolls-Royce used Hydra-Matics for a number of years too.