Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical dead perch

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sdluck, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I learned what a dead perch is, does that count. :D

Hnstray likes this.
  2. BJR

BJR

2 front springs are not the same thing as a buggy spring in front, apples and oranges. Totally different dynamics.

Jibs and 05snopro440 like this.
  3. no shit.
    the post was an example of how to test the movement.

4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Does anyone use a dead perch on the rear with a transverse spring? Wouldn't it work the same as in the front?

5. Well here's another point of view from my experience: I run Vega cross steering without a panhard bar or a dead perch. I've driven the car over 7,500 miles so far and I've never experienced any bump steer, wobbles, wiggles, vibration, or any other ill-handling. My spring is fairly flat, so maybe @alchemy 's theory above about a flat spring reducing side to side movement is accurate? I'm not recommending that you forgo the panhard bar or the dead perch, I'm just saying that this guy doesn't run either and has had zero issues.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What was the question?:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O
    That should cover all the bases!

continentaljohn likes this.
  7. sdluck

sdluck

8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I think we all know the reason for the use of the dead Perch and panhard bar is to prevent the drag link from pulling the front end to the steering side.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    05snopro440 likes this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Chocolate or Vanilla?

10. clem

clem

So why didn’t Henry Ford use a dead perch ?
    Did Ford preload/pretension his spring, so as to affect the handling somehow ?
    I am curious as I have not used either a dead perch or a panhard rod, yet to my mind the vertical sliding fork thing in the centre of the axle seems to be the best solution, (yet I have not used that either).

11. Henry used a side steer box on the early set ups.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. F&J

F&J

Geez, How's I get dragged into this shit storm:confused:...but since I did, let me add some more fuel for the open minded..

Have any of you considered things like typically seen unnecessary heavy caster, or that, combined with a scrub error as having anything to do with the topic here?

13. I don't know what this method is called either, but here's a particularly tidy execution from my buddy Jim Stewart – you're looking at the back of the axle and the the slotted piece is welded to the axle. The pin is welded to the cross member. Add a Delrin bushing and you're good to go.

IMG_4647.PNG

14. alchemy

alchemy

I think the flat spring is most valuable in reduced sideways movement on car with a dead perch. A shackle with a shallow angle would be most valuable if the car didn't have a dead perch. A shallow shackle wouldn't allow as much side sway.

As to the post about Henry Ford not using a panhard or a dead perch: Henry first used cross steer in the Modern Era (yes we know T's had it too) in 1935. His first application of any form of sway control was the Deluxe '40 and it's front sway bar. It wasn't until after the war (I think it was on '46's) that he actually installed a panhard bar in front. I don't know how he got away with all that horrible front end sway for that decade of production. Maybe he kept his shackle angle shallow?

D-Russ likes this.
  15. Seen it done using a skateboard wheel

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Here's mine made from a Citreon 2CV track rod and steering arm 80fefd8ccc499d0faed8e9c9b2b8c6fb.jpg

jammer and Bandit Billy like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You have the feet of a surgeon!

clem, Jibs, 05snopro440 and 5 others like this.
  18. Haha!!! Protects my Converse from oil and grease

Sent from my moto g(6) play using H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. clem

clem

I thought that cross steer was used on some of the later cars with wishbones?
    Am I wrong that Ford had cross steer on some cars with wishbones ?

I think alchemy answered this above.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

D-Russ, That is very well done, never seen it with the pin solid and the plate moving. Kudos to Jim for that. Another way to do it was the Allards split axle very similar to later Fords' twin I-beam which was a great idea for selling tires. The Allard kept the transverse spring however but I imagine the whole thing was a camber nightmare.

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

No, you're not wrong, the 46 - 48 cars had wishbone suspension with cross steering, and a panhard rod. They also have the spring in front of the axle, where the spring is not under tension. Earlier cars ad the spring over the axle, and it was under tension. Apparently having the spring under tension reduces the need for a panhard rod, though I'm not an expert on this technology, just repeating what I've read posted in other threads.

clem likes this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

Blues, what do you mean a "spring under tension"? Isn't the whole theory of a spring is it is under tension? That's how springs work, they use pent up force to push back at the axle moving upward. How does a spring in front not still have tension?

Hnstray and X38 like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Spring spreader bar..Tool for installing spring..Because they can't reach the shackles unless compressed or use of spreader bar [which makes them longer] and once "shackled" and spreader bar removed they are under tension..Ford had it figured..Sway bar in front came out in 1940, sway bar plus panhard in 1941 and stayed thru 1948..Rear panhard may have started in 1946 and carried through 1948 but 1948 defiantly had a rear [along with front combo] panhard bar..

Hnstray likes this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, I wish I could answer your question properly, but as I admitted in my post, I was just repeating what I have read in other threads. I did a quick google search and found this, see post #7 from @pasadenahotrod in this thread: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/front-panhard-bar-on-36-ford-straight-axle.452410/

Maybe he can check in and clarify it for us. Maybe I completely misunderstood his post in that other thread.

Also, see post 11 from Dick Spadaro

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  25. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

You don't need a panhard bar if everything is set right and tight. Fords never used one from 35 to 46 and they steered off the right side pretty damn good.

F&J likes this.
  26. I'm sure someone has beat me to it but here's a dead perch. HRP

depositphotos_13171316-stock-photo-dead-perch-in-dirty-water.jpg

continentaljohn and Bandit Billy like this.
  27. All early race cars with transverse springs had dead purches, we're talking buggy spring ride, if you like it do it. Indy cars, sprint cars, midgets all had this setup.

28. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Yes, and they only turned left !
    Because they turned left, their "dead perch" was on the left side.
    On a street car with cross steering if you are using a "dead perch" it should be on the right side of the car.

gnichols, 48fordnut, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, Pete. Dead right...as usual. Dead PERCH right.:D

Blues4U likes this.
  30. clem

clem

I take this to mean under ‘preload’ as in spring eyes forced apart to reach shackles in horizontal position, ‘before’ the weight of the chassis and engine are lowered onto it.
    Most say it doesn’t need preload, some say it does.
    I was always told to put preload into a spring, and believe this is why they are so dangerous when pulling them apart.
    I also, to my way of thinking, suspect that the car would handle better with preload.
    I have asked this before, but never got definitive answers.

Clemens.

Hnstray and fiftyv8 like this.