Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs De-crowning '46 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaser Bob, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Screenshot_20200329-223817_Gallery.jpg Evening!
    Wanting so badly to get over to a Business Coupe from my '46 2-door coupe. Will happen someday!
    But it got me thinking......
    What bugs me about it is the hump in the roof line over the back seat.
    QUESTION
    Has anyone ever tried gracefully getting rid of the hump?
    Or seen photos of it done???

2. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

I remember a Sam Foose 1941 coupe, on which he had slimmed the top. Not exactly what you are asking, but if you can find a pic, it might be helpful.

Greaser Bob and stanlow69 like this.
  3. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Yes..Pics.. Lots of them.

4. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

That factory roof line is what makes it so cool. Makes your eye see the rake. Implies speed sitting still.....

5. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

If you're wanting to go low-n-slow, raise the front of the cars suspension and lower the rear, your eye will trick you into not seeing what you're seeing as much.....mild kustom, or you wanting to go full kustom and cut her all up.....?

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Man, In my opinion that car looks great just as it sit's. HRP

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I totally get what your saying, my first hotrod I built was a long door coupe. That hump always sort of bugged me. I built it back in the eighties drove it for years but then it got stuck in the corner and then selling it a few years ago. I had just lost interest in it. I always thought if I had the back half of a business coupe roof it would have been kool to make a long door three window after seeing one at Pleasanton goodguys .

Greaser Bob likes this.
  8. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great to me too.

9. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

If you don't like it bring it over to my house and leave it. I think it looks perfect. When I was 15 years old I looked for one of these and never did find one.

Greaser Bob and 56don like this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks great, don't sweat it.

Greaser Bob likes this.
  11. Two different styles. I don't know which I like best, but yours looks really great the way it is. Wish mine had as nice of a look.

Greaser Bob likes this.
  12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sits great, love the wheel covers...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Packrat and Greaser Bob like this.
  13. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Not only do I love this body style, but your car is killer as it is, I wouldn't touch it!

nunattax and Greaser Bob like this.
  14. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

leave it,looks good

Greaser Bob likes this.
  15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I've never really put much thought into this era of Ford, but I really like your as it sits. Your stance/tire/hubcap combination really sets the car off. Nicely done.

I would spend some time in Photoshop chopping on it before I brought out the tools in the real, as I think it will be hard to improve on what you have going on already.

Greaser Bob likes this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

Your car looks good. As far as the hump goes, just get over it.

Texas57 and Greaser Bob like this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I understand you thoughts on the rear roof contour. @rusty rocket , in post #7 touches on an idea that is worth investigation. As I recall, the quarter window in the short door Business Coupe is the same quarter window used in the Sedan Coupe.

If I am correct in that recollection, it is feasible that one could graft a major portion of the Bus Cpe roof in place of the high crown Sed Cpe section. I think the trunk lids are shared too, the ‘catwalk’ area being longer on the Bus Cpe accounting for the difference in door/roof lengths. In this instance the catwalk would be shortened accordingly.

No small task just to get the better flowing lines of the Bus Cpe, but that is often what customizing requires. And, I tend to like the subtle mods that make a car look ‘better’ or ‘just right’ over the more radical...”hey, look at me! I’m modified”.

Ray

bchctybob, Greaser Bob and ClarkH like this.
  18. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Hey, you never know when America might go back to wearing hats again.

19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I felt the same way so I had my brother in law chop mine a bit to make the proportions look a little better. It wasn't drastic but I thought it improved the look.

IMG_20130904_173438_268.jpg

20. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Hello,
    Not to downgrade Sam Foose's 41 smoothing of the hump or anyone's attempt at that customizing job, but your car looks way better the way it sits today. It is a nice looking 46 coupe, typical of one of the teens in our hot rod group from high school days in So Cal. His was painted purple with white tuck and roll upholstery. Your 46 is very cool looking and does not need anything to "upgrade" it. We would be proud to drive around in that 46, for sure.

Jnaki
    You did a great job. If being period correct is the way your build was supposed to go, it has made it very clear. It hits all period correct buttons, at least for our late 50s early 60s era of hot rodding in So Cal.

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Greaser Bob - go to: The Photoshop to End All Photoshop Threads - incorporate some of the GordonC coupe - but consider laying the B pillar forward some - ask the guys for a few ideas - like many things, when you change one thing and it snowballs - mods that you are considering will not be cheap, or easy - but, your ride - you have to like it -

Greaser Bob likes this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

23. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just buy a Plymouth then the humps not a worry....

Attached Files:

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've owned a couple of 46-47 coupes. In my estimation any top chopping will only destroy the cars proportions. I'd leave it alone. I can't imagine going through all the time and effort creating something looking much worse then what Henry created.
    As you can tell I'm not one of those who think every car needs to have a chopped top.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A0E1A759-B4A2-486D-84C0-146C7B07297A.jpeg Alright so not the best rendering but gets the idea across.

I will start with saying this is ZERO chop in the windows it’s more or less pancaking the front section of the roof and the back section is completely re shapped.

I first took the “hump” shape and changed it to echo the curve of the quarter window. Which then showed me that the c pillar should would need altered to match.

I then noticed a smaller hump just forward of the “stock” hump after doing this. So I took some meat out of the roof above the rain gutters.

then lastly I took the section immediately above the windshield, about 3 inches depth wise and dropped it down a little further.

given the complex compound curves I think your best bet would be to basically cut the roof off above the windows/ rain gutter all the way around plus the C pillar and make a brand new roof in as few sections as possible. Cutting it up and trying to make it work with the stock metal left over it’s going to turn into patch work hell with seams in the middle of a lot of compound curves.

If you don’t think you are capable of building an English wheel and teaching yourself how to use it if you don’t already, then you have no business cutting that car up.

Anyhow it’s kinda neat. The back of the roof ends up looking like a 50 merc coupe a little

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Why do people want to make a Ford look like a Chevy or a Plymouth? Leave it alone, it's a part of it's character...

Tman, millersgarage and 56don like this.
  27. I like it the way it is. Sometimes change ain't for the better but it's not my car.

28. alchemy

alchemy

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Another vote for leaving it. The car looks/sits perfect IMHO.
    I bet the hump was designed in, to maximize headroom in that small back seat area.

30. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce