Register now to get rid of these ads!

De-computifying a modern olds mill--cheaply---Fat Hack???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by james, Apr 30, 2004.

1. james

james

I just finished slicing apart the body of a 86 olds cutlass supreme for my chassis swap with my 54 plymouth, and want to simplify the motor, wiring and engine bay. In other words I want to ditch the computer, smog pump, etc. It's a 307 "Y" motor with roller valve train. Probably not the ideal motor, but the whole car has only 40,000 miles and was CHEAP. I'm not looking to drop a grand in carb, intake and ignition, maybe some earlier years and models for carbs? Junkyard type ideas?

2. There were carburated 307's in alot of different GM makes, like Buicks and Caprice wagons. Try to find a 4 bbl intake, and get a qjet and you should be ok. Or go and get a Performer Package. I had one on my T/A with a 403, boy did it move! [​IMG]

Jay

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Yep...just get an electronic (HEI) distributor out of any 1974-79 Olds 350, 403, 307 or 260. Take the carb, too and it's a done deal!

Make an EGR block-off plate if you don't wanna swap intakes...but an early (1968-73) Olds 350 stock 4v intake shouldn't cost you much, if anything...and it'll work great with a basic Q-jet and standard HEI distributor.

You'll only need one 12v keyed wire to the distributor, and of course your starter and alternator wiring, and you're Disco! Easy stuff, man!

(All 260, 307, 250 and 403 Olds motors have the same deck height, so distributors, intakes, and such all interchange easily. 425/455 engines are wider, so those parts WON'T fit your 307).

The 307 is an incredibly reliable V8 that runs glass smooth and delivers good torque for it's relatively small size...plop on an earlier Q-jet and a standard HEI distributor, and you'll be happy with it!

4. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

yeah what these guys said.except all distributors will work 260-455.if your real cheap you can unplug all the wiring......flip the carb over,and knock out the castings that is in front of the idle mixture screws.that way you can adjust the mixture.ha! you just fooled the computor.i havent done this in years,i cant remember if there where plugs there,but i think we used to knock some of the casting out soo you could get at the adjusters easy.next slip in a older style hei.take off the air pump lines at the manifolds,and plug them,and your set.i used to do this to winter beaters that i didnt want problems with the elctronics.the 307's arnt that bad with a decent gear behind it.good luck,
    eric

5. tomslik

tomslik

ya ain't "foolin'" the computer, they're internally different with a mixture control soliniod,tps,etc.
    all you'll be doing is making the carb go full rich with out the 'puter.

go find an earlier olds q-jet...

6. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

you can control idle mixture to a point once you reach the screws.if you just unplug it without any manual adjustment,yes it will be full rich.it will still run,but barely.
    they actually run quite well if i recall once adjusted,and timed.it had more power than when it was on the computor.
    a non computor q-jet would be a better choice.they are easy to find.
    eric

7. james

james

I'm glad I asked. Anyone happen to have an early distrib and carb they want to get rid of? [​IMG]