Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dawsonville GA Run...Been there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aviator, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Aviator

Aviator

Saw a Dawsonville Moonshine Run ad. Anybody been there? Is it worth attending? Swap meet?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Only if you like 40 Fords:D

3. 42merc

42merc

There are actually two shows, moonshine type cars around the courthouse & a conventional show by the museum. About a ten minute walk between them.
    Swap meet---Not much.
    You need to go, once.

4. Back in the late 70's & early 80's I was obsessed with 40 fords and we went almost ever year although we haven't been there in a long time but we are considering going this year and skipping GoodGuys in Charlotte,N.C. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. I did a search on line and made a couple of phone calls,all three motels in the are are booked solid. HRP

6. Been several times, all good. Hoped to go this year, but no rooms, cause I set on my ass. The GA state park lodge outside of Dahlonega (Unicoi State Park) is nice, but booked. LOTS of 40's, Caddy, Olds powered fat fendered cars, lots of restored dirt track stock cars, the Galaxie club from Atlanta, lots of 55-57 Fords, most with some kind type of BBF incl SOHC, a pretty good hot rod show next to the museum, and a small but ok swap meet. Oh, and beautiful scenery and cooler weather.
    But, you probably won't like it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  7. There are rooms in Cumming GA, 17 miles from Dawsonville.

8. There are rooms available in Dahlonega, GA about 15 miles away but the rates are expensive. HRP

9. I lived 20 miles west of Dawsonville, a few years back.
    A good show, ongoing for years.
    As already said, so many '40 Fords there, you have to wonder if some are still runnin' moonshine in those '40's.
    Beautiful area for a show.
    Many, many Fords.
    The home of NASCAR's Bill Elliott ..... "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville".

10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Dawsonville 1.JPG
    Went last year for the first time and had a great time. So many 40s and 39s but very interesting. Many other makes and models there as well. Even said an "All Ford" sections as well.
    Stayed south of town about 30 minutes and the rooms were much less pricey. Just got up early and enjoyed the early morning ride in via a scenic back route a local showed us. Great cruising with the top down! Little cool at night but a lot of fun.
    Eat at the pool room. Great meals and good values.
    The Mayor's wife served us breakfast Friday.
    Wish could go this year but can't.
    Hope to go next year.
    PS We stopped by Fatman's for lunch (part of Goodguys Charlotte festivities) on Thursday on way down to Dawsonville... got somewhat of a two-fer.:)