Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Davenport IA Antique Motor Cycle Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stick Shift, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I went to Davenport Iowa for the Antique Motorcycle Swap Meet on Friday. I am not a motorcycle rider but I have gone the last three years. This swap is really kool and a lot of fun. I get to see a lot of bikes I probably would never get to see if it were not for the swap. This year I finally got to stay for the flat track race. That was some damn good racing. Very good time for me.

I am not registered on the Jockey Journal but look through it once and a while. I think I am feeling the need to get an old cycle shorty. LOL

I did see some HAMBers there. Well, I did see someone wearing a HAMB Nationals t-shirt and the "dreamy" JohnnyCola walkin through the grandstand during the race.

Here are some pics. Some OT and some not. :)

Attached Files:

2. Scott K

Scott K

Very cool!!! Thanks.

3. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

THis lil pedal car was sweet. The supercharged 53 was for sale in the swap. It was an interesting car. I found the 32 truck while I was heading out to the car with my hands full of stuff from the swap. Talked to the owner and his wife. They were nice to talk to. I guess he owns a few 32s, lucky guy. I tried to get a few pics of the race. They are nothing great, but I tried.

Attached Files:

4. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Ok this thing may or may not be HAMB friendly, but it was fricking wild. The motor was a 62 Buick 215. THe gas tank/seat is on the transmission. The brakes were mechanicals on the bottom of each side of the rear end (hope that makes sense if you can see them in the pics). They were levers on the sides of the rear end. I really wanted to talk to the owner or just see him leave on it.

I sat and stared at this this for a while. I guess you could say it was all motor. Talk about bare necessities. :):cool:

Attached Files:

5. Irvan

Irvan

Davenport is great, been going for a lot of years, feeling poorly and missed this year but will be there next year. It's kind of the "granddaddy" of old motorcycle swap meets.

6. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

that pan it sweet!
    i sould of went

7. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks for pix. If your into vintage bikes, you should roadtrip to KC the 1st Sat. in Oct. for "Ralph Wayne's Vintage Backyard Invitational".

Chris Nelson

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Envy, Envy, Envy - I've always wanted to go to that show! I'm primarily a chopper guy, but man those Indian and Excelsior 4 cylinders get me every time. Thanks for the pictures.

9. Kevins89notch5.0

Kevins89notch5.0
    from Orlando

Ah, my hometown area, nice!

10. tractorguy

tractorguy

Made it to Davenport this year after missing for the last several yrs. Great weather and a great celebration of the internal combustion engine ! I especially liked the guy at the west end of the grounds who had the 4cyl. Indian engine setting on the ground with little shorty pipes like a P51 .......he would fire it up and bark for several minutes and made wonderful noise. I am getting motivated to rebuild the Indian Chief engine I have and put it in my little midget and maybe find a 45in. flathead for my Harley frame. And......flat track dirt 1/2 mile......on the same track we ran stock cars in the 1960's......priceless.

11. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

old bikes rock of course i dig most anything old with an engine it it anyhow , thanks for posting pictures

12. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed the pics. It was a great time. I have been telling everyone about it and how cool the racing was. Watching Johnny Mercury (?) runnin down the straight away on the back wheel was damn kool. That dude can ride/race. LOL

13. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

I was there on sat. for the 3rd year,,always worth the drive.I've never gone home empty handed.

14. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

Cheatermike (Mike Lang), & Cheaterkory were there, Mike raced & sold parts, Kory helped pit,just got off the phone w/Mike, they had a blast as usual.

Mike is realy good at that motorcycle stuff.

Cheatercarl