Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Dave Bell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUNROOFCORD, May 1, 2012.

1. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here's some posters Dave did for Street Rodder in the Early 1970's. If anyone wants to enlarge them, feel free. I would if I knew how.

Attached Files:

2. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

I met Dave in Columbus a bunch of years ago. A few years ago he included the Jalopyrama Hot Rod show in a couple of his Street Rodder cartoons with mention of some local guys that he knew and always asked about Richard Glymph, painter extraordinaire, when we talked on the phone. What a great guy to have known and what a loss to our hobby. He will always be an ICON for all hot rodders. Rest in Peace Dave, your family is in my prayers.

3. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

WE ARE SPIRITS---------------------------

THAT BODIES SHOULD BE LENT TO US SO LONG AS THEY CAN AFFORD US PLEASURE, ASSIST US IN ACQUIRING KNOWLEDGE OR DOING GOOD TO OUR FELLOWMAN, IT IS A KIND AND BENEVOLENT ACT OF GOD------

WHEN THEY BECOME UNFIT FOR THESE PURPOSES AND AFFORD US PAIN INSTEAD OF PLEASURE AND INSTEAD OF AN AID, BECOME AN ENCUMBRANCE, IT IS EQUALLY KIND AND BENEVOLENT THAT A WAY IS PROVIDED BY WHICH WE MAY DEPART FROM THEM.

DEATH IS THAT WAY-------------------

IT IS AS IF OUR FRIEND AND WE ARE INVITED TO A HOUSEPARTY WHICH IS TO LAST FOREVER. HIS CHAIR WAS READY FIRST AND HE HAS GONE BEFORE US. WE COULD NOT ALL CONVENIENTLY START TOGETHER. AND WE SHOULD NOT BE GRIEVED AT THIS, SINCE WE SOME DAY WILL FOLLOW, AND KNOW WHERE TO FIND HIM.

BEN FRANKLIN

i take comfort from this quote at a time such as this

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Nice Post!

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, when I was a kid, I'd go straight to the back of "Street Rodder" to read Henry Hi-Rise. RIP, Dave.

Attached Files:

6. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I had the 34 coupe, the T bucket and the 29 Highboy hanging on the walls in my room most of my childhood-teenage years along with the Robert Williams trio. I never was able to find the A tudor of the 32 Highboy. They will definately be back on the garage walls someday!

7. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

Sad news indeed, I always tried to pick out all the details pertaining to Minnesota in his Henry Hirise cartoons. Seemed that there was always one. The art on the BTT50's shirts every year were always the coolest. Never had the good fortune to meet him, but from all accounts a great guy. To paraphrase what some one said about baseball legend harmon Killebrew, "a great artist, and a better man"!

8. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

WOW so sorry to hear that !! I still remember his work from when
    i was just a junior gearhead building models. WOW that sucks !!

9. Sad news for sure. What a loss to the hot rod community. Dave, you will be missed for sure.
    Thoughts and prayers to his family for peace and comfort with their loss.

10. moefuzz

moefuzz

Very Nice!

Thank You,

So True and So Insightful ...

moe

jmho

11. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

David J. "Dave" Bell

[​IMG]Age 72 ~ Of Falcon Heights Legendary Automotive Artist Died peacefully on Sat. Eve. May 5th. MN. Street Rod Assoc. Member #45. Originally of Austin, MN, he is preceded in death by his parents Jack & Louetta Bell. Survived by: Lynn his beloved wife and best friend; sister Barbara (Skip) Widtfeldt; much loved stepchildren Steve (Shari) Kuefler, Jeannette (Mark) Silverman, Patti (Ron) Dickhudt, Tom Kuefler, & Chris (Teresa) Kuefler; 13 grandchildren; 6 great grandchildren; dog kids Weensie & Zoey, special people in his life Jim & Cherie Daughton, Jerry & Joan Willy, Phyllis "Imelda" Meester, Bruce Beers, as well as countless friends, associates, and admirerers. Visitation 4-8 PM Thursday May 10th, 2011 at THE ROSEVILLE MEMORIAL CHAPEL 2245 No. Hamline Ave. (1Blk. So. Hwy #36 Roseville, 55113 651/631-2727 ). Mass of Christian Burial 10 AM Fri. May 11th at ST. ROSE of LIMA Catholic Church 2048 No. Hamline Ave. followed by a reception. Private Interment later. Memorials are preferred.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tw...x?n=david-j-bell-dave&pid=157505936&fhid=4255

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. He was always my favorite part of the magazine as well.

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

14. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

RIP Mr. Bell, you'll be missed.

15. Dave was a true leader in the hotrod/motorcycle art world... he has only ever been copied... and there will never be another to create such a style as his own! My father (who has been friends of Dave since the 60's) plans to bring Dave's own creation/personal 1957 Triumph Chopper to his wake, so everyone can enjoy it!

16. What a talented man.....RIP Dave.....

17. dbrow6272

dbrow6272

I have been a friend of Dave and Lynn for many years. Back to when they lived in "dinkytown". I am extremely saddened by his passing. He was a great artist, friend, and beer lover. He will be sorely missed.
    Dan Brown Oakdale

18. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Lynn encourages you to bring as much of Dave's artwork that you have that was done for you over the years. Further, street rods, customs and bikes are all encouraged to park at both the visitation and the funeral. This is Dave's last car show.

19. jjrodder

jjrodder

20. Bob Bond

Bob Bond

"Dave is the only artist that I have collected as many of his drawings(from magazines or whatever) I could get, dating back to the early days of Truckin' magazine in the 70s. He inspired me more than any other artist. Our industry has truly lost a tallented and gifted person. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I'm sure all Street Rodder and Custom Rodder magazine readers will miss his fantastic cartoons, I know I will. RIP Dave and thanks for all the time you put into your art, it made a difference in my life. Bob Bond - Editor/Publisher AutoArt Magazine."

21. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

THIS is the kind of funeral I'd want to have! RIP Dave, you were an inspiration.

"Further, street rods, customs and bikes are all encouraged to park at both the visitation and the funeral. This is Dave's last car show."

22. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

I first met Dave in the 60's... fulfilled a dream of working with him on some projects in the 80's... re-connected with him at various GNRS shows ... and treasure the few Dave Bell pieces that I'm lucky enough to have...even more, now.

Every time I think of Dave, I picture his basement crowded with magazines and various on-going and forgotten pin-striping projects. Not to mention the cats, and the small table lamp over a tiny work area. It was straight out of the movies and I couldn't have imagined anything better!

He's probably striping the Pearly Gates right now.

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I sent a large box of homemade cookies to the Roseville Memorial Chapel for tomorrow's viewing for the family and friends that will be attending to enjoy from the HAMB community.

24. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

nice!

25. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

what a loss to the hot rod community. Dave had immense talent. He will be missed.
    My condolences to his family

26. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

Denise, that was an awesome gesture.

27. jerry dixey

jerry dixey

As the pilot of the Street Rodder Road Tour cars for the last 17 years and 375,000 miles I have had my share of face time in the books. I gotta say that while it is fun to get a picture of yourself or your car in a magazine NOTHING compares to the feeling of seeing your mug in a Dave Bell cartoon. That is the moment when you realize that you have really arrived. Dave was a great guy that like so many heros in our hobby took the time to talk to the masses. I watched him at shows and events answer questions and sign autographs for hours on end. His perception and insight of what was happening in our hobby was amazing. God Speed Dave. You were an original that told all of our stories with a pen and some ink.

28. Patrick46

Patrick46

You all will probably enjoy this little tribute to Dave & his wonderful work...

http://youtu.be/WzngCyBBe58

(I can't seem to embed this properly)

29. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thank You Denise

30. Wow, this one really hurts.

My sincerest condolences to Dave's family, friends and fellow HAMBers who loved this incredible talent and human being.

I would also like to thank all those that have posted on this thread. Although I'm from Australia and have never met Dave, after reading every one of the testimonial posts, I feel I have come to know Dave a little better. I really envy you guys that knew him personally, he must have been an incredible person.

I've collected Dave's artwork (magazines and such) for near on 40 years now. To say that Dave Bell was a big influence on me would be a gross understatement. Dave was and always will be a true hero in the art & rodding world.

Brian Brennan (StreetRodderWeb) has written a fine editorial (May 07, 2012) on the Street Rodder Website dedicated to Dave Bell. Tex Smith commented that he hoped Dave wasn't underappreciated.

I don't think that will ever happen, Tex. I know for one that Dave has a very special place in my heart and memories.

Thank you so much Dave, for the many years of enjoyment.

Rest in Peace.