Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Dave Bell Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Porter Man, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

This is the latest cartoon Dave Bell did for Street Rodder!
    The bottom three cars are my dad's, and my logo. The belly tank you see there is the original SO-CAL car after Alex raced it. My dad bought it from Ed Iskenderian,and raced it for many years on the salt.

Any other cartoons Dave Bell did that has your cars or family members cars in them? Lets see them!

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Nice artwork.

I miss the Bell T shirts at BTT50's, the newer ones are any show style and do not stand out.

3. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Dave is a class act!

4. oldpaint

oldpaint

I'm a big fan of Dave Bell!

5. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Ya, he's got talent thats for sure. A very nice guy also. I had lunch with him two months ago, and by the time we left it was time for dinner. He has stories.

6. When my good buddy Steve Kastl passed away 2008 his 50 olds ragtop was in a BELL S/R strip... I was real happy to see it ... local Minn. guys have a firm place in all his work

I have a early 70's White Bear Dodge "custom " van BELL poster..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010

7. JIM JIM JIM :eek: THEY ARE STILL THERE THATS THE ONLY KIND WE HAVE GOTTEN ... EVERY YEAR !
    you have not seen mine...sorry but I seldom wear my dress BTTF'S shirts

buddy stop by the big booth.......... always get a white shirt so the white walls show best ! I have had mr BELL sign mine when I spot him at the show ..

8. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Hopefully this year BT50 will be easier on this old body, after three months at the orthopedic doctors, and now 12 weeks of PT they figure I should be able to handle all three days comfortably at BT50's not 2 days miserably.

9. just tell what size ya need and i'll go get it while ya sit in our chairs .. heal up dammit

yeeaaaa the granite is all in place and the sinks hooked up and the dishwasher too yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

10. Straight8's&Aces

Straight8's&Aces

Dave also does t-shirts for Frankenmuth Autofest they are the best the other shirts they have look boring. Big fan of Mr Bell

11. realkustom51

realkustom51

My brother Cory got honored by Bell in Jan/ 1977 Street Rodder. Bottom says "Merry Christmas, Cory - Keep on Drawing!. Has a drawing of his 48 fleetline.

Attached Files:

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Big Olds has had the honor of appearing in one of Dave's drawings and I was lucky enough to obtain the original which I matted, framed and is hanging in the kitchen.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  13. Dave is a very old friend, although we haven't been in touch for some time.

He used my old Merc in two of his drawings. one is from Custom Rodder magazine from May "81 when he was doing the "Nate Moddle" page, and the other is from Street Rodder magazine from Dec. "83 and is the "Henry Hirise" page.

Mick

Attached Files:

14. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I always enjoy looking at them cartoon art pages in the mags, way cool.

15. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I have alot of respect for the man.

16. I met Dave Bell at a chopper shop on University in the late 70's. Close to Porky's. Cool guy. Chatted a while. He was pinstriping a hammer grey industrial sewing machine for someone.
    It was cool finding those tips of the hat to your dad, Clark and Porter mufflers.
    Your part of the hot rod legecy!! Lucky pup.
    Mark

17. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

That is just so cool seeing his art all around. I have a few of his things framed and hanging in my office!

18. slammed

slammed

His tribute's to fallen rodder's speak's volume's of the man's spirit. And his lack of skull's, fang's, horn's, ect. is soooooo refreshing. He is one of the best, yes sir!

19. My father (Bruce Olson) is mentioned in Bell's "VonDutch Tribute" artwork:

[​IMG]

20. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Sooo coool! I take it that's how you came up with HEMI32.
    Just a shot in the dark.

21. Actually, "HEMI 32" is the license plate that our '32 5wd Coupe has been running since the early '70s (when personalized plates were all the rage) ... I sure wish I still had the (black background with yellow characters) California plates it ran in the '60s ... but I suppose "KZY 490" would be a strange HAMB username & signature line :rolleyes: :D

22. rodncustom

rodncustom

Did mine but I wouldn't know how to post it here very clear.

23. HAMBr copshopcoupe owns the Tom Prufer '33 Coupe inspired by this famous Dave Bell cartoon:

[​IMG]

... sorry Chuck, I couldn't resist :)

24. I believe that I have the only bail bond business in a Dave Bell cartoon.. His rendition of my 55 Ford was way sweeter than the actual car.. He got Jay Johnston in there too,,
    Dave is a good friend and one awesome guy..

Attached Files:

25. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

Dave drew our car in Jan 95 Henry HiRise cartoon, it was such an honor! It is framed and hangs in my offiice.He is my favorite artist. Thanks again Dave. Dale

Attached Files:

26. shagwag

shagwag
    from Anoka

These are very cool! I know of two of these that my grandpa is in i will have to find them and post them up

27. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

His page is the first place that I look for when my Street Rodder mag comes in the mail, always a good read .

28. 38 Ford Guy

38 Ford Guy

His art is great but he also does great flames and stripping!!! Here are pictures of some of the work he has done for my Dad and I. Dave is a great guy and a lot of fun to talk with. I consider him a great friend of mine.

Attached Files:

29. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Dave's a great guy, I got to spend the day with him at leadeast back in '94, Man is he funny and hes got some great stories. I called him a few years ago for art work for my t-shirts After a few weeks I called him to check on the progress and he told me to keep my eyes open in a upcoming streetrodder issue for his cartoon in the back, the issue arrived and low and behold he included me and my friend Glen in the cartoon,a few weeks later and my shirt art arrived along with some bonus art. Thanks Dave ....Rich

Attached Files:

• 065.jpg
      065.jpg
      File size:
      561.7 KB
      Views:
    • 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      File size:
      500.1 KB
      Views:
    • 072.jpg
      072.jpg
      File size:
      501.1 KB
      Views:
    • 075.jpg
      075.jpg
      File size:
      521 KB
      Views:
  30. He did our flamed 40 in the Sep 80 issue of SRM, along with Dick Young's Air Flow of MN and Squeege Jerger's Track T out of Mesa AZ. Needless to say, we were blown away, a car from Alaska??
    Used to talk to Dave often back then, and get "GREAT" tees from him but have kinda fell out of touch. He was terribly busy as was I then. Always hoped to meet him at one of the west coast meets but never happened, guess I will have to go a little further east!!.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010