Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Daughters versus sons and autos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CapeCodBob, Sep 5, 2015.

1. OK, so I was just reading the thread titled "Large Learning Curve" and got to thinking of my D and her abilities compared to her older brother. And thought about starting a thread on daughters.
    My D got her ticket at a local drive sch. as did her bro on automatics. I couple years later I had a Ranger 5 spd that I let her drive in parking lot for about 2 mins and she had enough.
    Halfway thru college she wanted a Jeep so she could get a ball cap , pony tail and a bikini top for the Jeep and look cool.
    I found a CJ5 for her stick and when she came to get it I figured I'd have to give her a lesson. WRONG. Didn't have time, I'll figure it out. This was gonna be fun. Gets in the Jeep manages to back it out into traffic and takes off after only 2 stalls. I was impressed.
    Son, at that time still didn't know stick. LOL
    Years later she gets job in VT news station and first day they send her and another new girl out on a story and thruw some keys at her. She tells me the van is buried in snow. Guys watching out the window. They musta been hehawing. Itsa stick. Ha, she says . We'll show them. The other girl is "How, I can't drive this!" They clean it off and she bombs it outa the snow and down the road. I wolda liked to see the guys exspressions.
    Now she is married to a guy who can't drive stick !

Whats your story ?

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 18 y.o. daughter learned to drive on a manual and took her driver's test on a manual. He hates automatics and won't drive them.

CapeCodBob likes this.
  3. My daughter, now 44, was raised in the garage. There were times when she would tell her boy friends what was wrong with their cars when they had trouble with them.

pitman, CapeCodBob and volvobrynk like this.
  4. mike bowling

mike bowling

My "little girl" (24) was always the one who wanted to go to car shows with me ( still does). My two sons, 26 and 27 1/2 yrs., never cared much about cars, although the older one ( now an Engineer) has gotten more interested as he's gotten older. ( but he bought a Saab???? Jeez!!)
    Favorite story is when I asked my daughter what she wanted for her 10th birthday. Without hesitating, she answered " A purple Harley with silver flames!" -----That's my girl!!! -----Add on- She can drive a 4 spd with the best of 'em, and inherited a "lead foot" someplace!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    CapeCodBob and volvobrynk like this.

5. 5window

5window

All three of our girls learned to drive a stick and change tires to be able to drive. They also all went off to college with a tool kit. None of their husbands could drive their cars. :)

6. Both of mine learned on 58&66 vw bugs.

302GMC and CapeCodBob like this.
  7. My dtr is now 51 and loves my cars, has always been around hotrods.......got her Learners Permit @ 16 and found I was adamant that she show me she could change a flat tire before getting her licence......thought I was kidding her and she was 18 before getting her licence.......note that this was before cel phones/etc to call AAA for roadside help......

8. stimpy

stimpy

I learned at a young age as I grew up on a farm and the tractors were stick and so were the trucks , fast forward several years and I started to drive professionally . and semis have several different styles of manual transmissions and patterns , my Last truck 379 Pete had a 18 speed trans in it could float it up and down . now I do not have any kids , but my wife was a bus driver for the city and there buses are autos , but when she left there she thought about becoming a truck driver ( I wish she asked me when I had my truck to learn ) but she went to school and now she jams gears , slowly shes learning not to scratch them but she is still double clutching and slowly learning how to float them . she shocked the heck out of here brother as she can out shift him in his jeep . her 2 sisters are slushbox drivers

CapeCodBob likes this.
  9. Canuck

Canuck

Our son has no interest in cars.

Our daughter had to be able to demonstrate she could change a tire, check fluids and filters, change oil and plugs before she could take a car out on the road.

Two years later she complained the carpet in her car was wet. A bit of investigating showed the floor rusted out on both sides. We spent the weekend pulling it apart and welding new floors in. She didn't quite finish the job, had a figure skating competition that she was committed to attend, so I finished it for her. She continues to be very self sufficient. Generally only asking for help if she lacks tools to do the job.

Proud of that girl.

PS got her first job at a car wash, where she moved up to driving the cars through instead of doing interior cleaning on the first day. She was the only one that could drive stick or automatic, cars or trucks.

Canuck

bct, 302GMC, CapeCodBob and 1 other person like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you are male and can not drive a stick shift you need to turn in your man card and start wearing pink polo shirts everywhere you go.

11. Our twin girls are now 41 years old,I tried to teach both girls how to drive a stick.

I cringed every time I took them out,they ether chocked the car or spun the tires or smoked the clutch.

They both drive automatics. HRP

12. Have an older son, younger daughter and both passed their driver's test using a stick shift car. My son has no interest in cars and although my daughter has an interest, does not even own a car - doesn't need one in the city. Presently my only hope is my grandson, who loves my roadster, and grandaughter who is all girl. I am keeping my fingers crossed ....

CapeCodBob likes this.
  13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

"Bchra guy" , show us some more pics of your avatar. I love the color!

14. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Our 16 year old daughter learned on a stick "96 Dakota". We"re proud of her. She & her 12 year old brother been around cars since the beginning & lucky for me both love old cars. They were both my pit crew at local dirt track growing up when not playing with other drivers kids. I've already given them each IH Scout's 63 & 65 both 4x4 3 speeds , so knowing how to row the gears is handy. She knows how to bleed brakes , help me stab a motor, & all sorts of stuff, even sanded down , primed , sealed & painted our old allis forklift. The daughter is also in FFA & I'm waiting to see what the ag teacher thinks of her Already knowing how to properly fire up the ol torch & being able to wire weld. I stress safety too. She's not a tom boy but Is a busy kid & runs a mini farm operation "goats n couple cows" & is able to do things her mom & I missed out on. Canning veggies, working livestock, etc. wanting to be a large animal vet. Teach them while they're young! Keep the car hobby alive . Awesome thread! Flux

pitman likes this.
  15. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Or be strapped to a chair & forced to watch NASCAR until cured...... Ha ha ha .......flux

302GMC, CapeCodBob and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Our girls grew up around hot rods,fact is they came home from the hospital in the '54 Ford Ranch Wagon and have been to more car shows near & far than many seasoned hot rodders,but they don't care for the old cars anymore.

Now my oldest and my youngest granddaughters both love going with us to shows and cruse-ins,my grandson just likes moosestangs. HRP

CapeCodBob likes this.
  17. kooldeuce

kooldeuce

My wife did not want any more kids after my second daughter was born so in the hospital room I said "Ok she will be my Junior " and ever since we call her Junior. By the time she was 12 years old, and on Fathers day, she drove my 392 dual quad 4pd hemi deuce sedan, BY HERSELF. Needless to say its Juniors car when I'm gone ! She is now 24 !!

18. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

My son went with his grandpa today to local car show while I had to work, best part of my day was hearing him tell how the dusty old model T they took earned him oldest ride award at 95 years old. I asked him about the other cars & for 12 he told me about almost all 62 cars there in detail. He Walked around with another pal's son from neighboring town & checked out his grandpa s 57 ford post "black" sleeper with highly modified 500 caddy power plant . He went on about how cool it was & I told him I've seen it with at least 5 different makes of motors over the decades , it's been to salt flats in past with FE power. Awesome car. Black steelie rims, tires & paint. He's definitely a kid HAMB if I ever seen one. Flux

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  19. cs39ford

cs39ford

I have three daughters youngest is 35. Had old 58 willys jeep that I plowed drive with. When it came time to teach them. Put them in it out back showed them how to shift. Let clutch out and turned them loose. Only one rule do not hit anything like the fence! All learned. All drive autos now. But they still know how. And my little one still goes to shows with me from time to time

20. Muttley

Muttley

My Daughter is 19 and would love to drive my Comet but the clutch pedal is too stiff for her to push. She says automatics are for fags.

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I got a daughter that's 4yr old and when I got her one of my buddy told me: oh how sad for you, so you won't be getting any shop time.
    I was totally in shock :-0

But a 4yrs her favorite bedtime is about some small mouses building a car, and she talks about when I'm gonna build a car with here.

When I'm at the shop, she always asks my dad to bring her down to the shop.

I feel I got my self a little car girl!

22. cfmvw

cfmvw

I took my drivers test in a stick shift (the VW in my avatar - owned it for 33 years), and everyone I knew back then drove stick. When I was in the military, we had a lady in the shop who complained that nobody would teach her to drive a standard, so I taught her in a 1 1/2 ton truck. As it turned out, most of the other guys couldn't drive a stick shift, so she really showed 'em! I later taught my neighbors daughter how to drive a stick shift, and later on my son, who also took his drivers test in a stick shift. On the other hand, I'm amazed at how many people can't drive a stick shift these days...

23. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

My sister told me our dad tried to teach her how to drive a 60 Falcon stick shift. She said it was the only time she could remember dad had ever yelled at her. Guess she was pretty bad but he stuck with it until she could get it moving. I think that was her last stick shift adventure. Fast forward years later she was comin out of her workplace and saw a group of guys standing around a Firechicken trying to get it started on a cold day. After listening to them for a few minutes she thought "I know what's wrong with this". She took the air cleaner lid off, opened the choke plate with a screwdriver and it fired right up. Left them all speechless. She picked up a few things from the old man.

24. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

My youngest daughter, now 26, grew up in the shop. Was fascinated with polyester fillers at 5 and I had spots of hardened stuff smeared everywhere.. Painted her own golf cart "Harley hog" and learned to drive a stick around 12 years old. Helping dad move cars in and out of the shop.
    Took her drivers test in a stick S10 and taught the neighbors kids and later, her husband to drive stick. Knows how to get non computer things running. Goes to NSRA K-zoo every Sept. with her two boys and me. One of the kids , the youngest, loves the swap meet and is gunna be a gearhead..

CapeCodBob likes this.
  25. Our oldest granddaughter Hannah will inherit the wagon and she knows the family history & loves the car.

my youngest granddaughter Veda is the one I hope will be the the future hot rodder in the family,we brought her and her mom home from the hospital in a 32 Ford. HRP

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    CapeCodBob likes this.
  26. mike bowling

mike bowling

and take up golf!

49ratfink likes this.
  27. spanners

spanners

I happily leave my stick-shift unlocked when I go to the shops (store). I figure that most car thieves couldn't drive one. My late model got broken into at the train station a while ago while parked overnight. I told the police that came out that the reason it didn't get driven away was because it was manual (stick shift). He agreed with me.

28. clem

clem

My son and daughter were both taught to drive a manual at my insistence. Over here your licence stipulates auto only, or manual which covers auto and manual.
    Both drive like they should be Formula 1 drivers, .....they get that off their mother.
    My daughter, now 20, was determined to get her learners licence on her 15 birthday, which she did.

volvobrynk and CapeCodBob like this.
  29. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

my daughter had her first driving lesson in my 351 4sp gt falcon and I have to say did pretty well straight up.
    her first car was a falcon ute (ranchero) stick shift and has always driven all my cars auto/stick don't matter....
    as a young girl she kept bugging us for a horse......so santa bought her a motor bike and forgot all about horses..
    now she has laid claim to my jailbar pick up and if not that one it will have to be the other jailbar I am doing.....kids///

30. My daughters are a little young to teach yet but they help me in the garage and will learn manual shifting. Hard to text and drive while your rowing gears.