Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dash swap putting a 62 into a 29, thoughts?? ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Wurger, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Wurger

Wurger

About a month ago or two I found a 62 Chrysler in a blackberry bush today I went back out to the hills and removed the bushes from around the car here is what I am contemplating ... I was thinking about putting a 1962 Chrysler Newport dash into my 1929 Oakland three window coupe, I also thought about taking the transmission out of the 62 and sticking it in the 29 so I could use the pushbutton transmission set up... I do know that the dash would have to be shortened. Attached are some photographs of the dash and I'm wondering if it's worth pulling out in the shape or not?
    IMG_3819.JPG IMG_3820.JPG IMG_3821.JPG IMG_3822.JPG IMG_3818.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. evintho

evintho

I say pull the center section with the speedo and all the gauges and adapt that to your Oakland dash. I dig the bullet look!

tb33anda3rd and Wurger like this.
  3. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Do some e-searches a lot of graphing Dashes options, Like was mentioned some Graph to old Dash or Cut section out of Donor and Splice back together. You just have to Determine which section to sacrifice.

hotrodharry2, zbuickman and Wurger like this.
  4. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

...and pull every bit of trim while you're there.

5. Go for it! You'll never see another car like yours at a show, that's for sure.

6. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

tomkelly88, Wurger, RMR&C and 7 others like this.
  7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Putting a gauge in the hole where the steering column went originally was a good idea - I've wondered about how to deal with that when re-using those dash clusters.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, that didn't last long, did it! Of course, it is a long way from Washington to Missouri, so I guess it may be OK.

9. 5window

5window

I certainly would pull every usable piece, but in my opinion it is way too bulky to use in a '29 anything. The Model A pictured looks like very, very nice work, but still, not my style. You asked for opinions, this is not a criticism. If you like it, it is your car and you should do what you like.

Steffen Jobst and Wurger like this.
  10. Wurger

Wurger

Great minds think alike, Damn that looks great! Mine would be a little different though just because of the car, don't worry .

11. BJR

BJR

Where would you ever find a replacement for the plexiglass cover over the gauges that is broken on the parts car?

upspirate and Wurger like this.
  12. Wurger

Wurger

Aside from a place here in Washington that specializes in this specific cluster I'm not sure where I'd source that part If they didn't have one... I'll try to buzz them on Monday...

13. Wurger

Wurger

It would be a tight fit for sure, I'm just trying to figure the best options for the 29, there is no way I'm going down the black hole of restoration on a GM car with all the wood being shot and with there being no kits or even plans available etc. So it'll be a custom in some form or fashion...

14. I do like the idea and the way that would be pushing the envelope of what is considered the norm. That particular find is way rough and will need major magic to bring it back to life, though. But I'm sure there have been equal basket cases that have been brought back to the living.

Wurger likes this.
  15. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Acrylic is a thing of beauty with a scroll saw. Bezel cover problems is no longer a problem..............

Wurger likes this.
  16. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

I think it would be best if you can get the whole dash. Just as in your original post. At least then you will have the whole shebang at your disposal to mock up any ideas for design or implementation. It would be a shame if you took some pieces then went back later to not be able to get what you are looking for. You can always toss out what you don't use when you finalize your design.

Wurger likes this.
  17. 5window

5window

Guess I'd also make sure the car was really "abandoned" before I started pulling it apart. And, watch out for wasps and snakes.

Wurger likes this.
  18. Wurger

Wurger

Talked to a rancher out there, he said it was a common car and garbage dump back from the 50's-the 70's he then told me that I could have all the "junk" I wanted, and that I could shoot all of the quail I wanted come October! Saying only to mind the Big Bull and the calfs.

5window and Rocks Rod & Custom like this.
  19. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

20. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

That looks sweet. I was thinking about a dash swap for my 35 Ford. Wanted something out of the box. Was thinking this cluster or a 58 Edsel. Two of the wildest speedometers ever IMO.