Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dash Plaque Addiction.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Aug 31, 2011.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why do we have an addiction for dash plaques?

Working on the shirt order for the Starliner and we were discussing dash plaques. Does
    anyone care about dash plaques anymore? I have a box full of them that go back to
    the early 80's. Every now and then I will get the box out and have fun digging them out
    for about half hour. Then I'll put them back and forget about them for another year or two.

Dash plaques can be kool..... Why are we addicted?

Happy Trails, Mick

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My dad has a HUGE stack of them from back into 60s and 70s when he started in showing cars. I've collected them as i take my own vehicles to shows, I'm covering my toolbox with them, rather slowly, as not a lot of shows give them anymore. MAKE SOME!

3. Tripple G

Tripple G

Another good spot to put them is on the inside of your garage door. All the shows around here still give them out. Not everyone gets a trophy, but most get a dash plaque ... until the sponsor runs out:eek:

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nope. I've have saved just one, a little trinket the GG gave me one year when I took a lap around the big track at Indy in my 37. It was a dull, 30mph ride, but somehow that little tag seems more significant than all the times I just hung out at a car show with my car, folding chair and cooler. Mostly I use them up for shims and fabbing parts on my models. But I know others that not only collect them, but expect them.

I'd hazzard a guess it all started back in the days of proper automobile sporting events and those sportsmen who participated actually stuck them on their dash boards as a sign of their acceptance or manhood or something. I remember seeing lots of "speed trials" MGs and Healeys with them stuck all over the place. Har har. But why keep calling them dash plaques now? That's the last place I'd actually put one.

Perhaps we need to think more of them? Make them really works of art? Ever see the trophies they gave out years ago? Sterling silver, custom sculpted, etc. The trophy case at the Indy museum looks like the Queen Mary's silver collection, fit for the ship's Captain and Royalty. Now that might be over the top for 98 percent of the shows, but still... could someone make one you just HAD to keep because it looked so friggin' cool? Gary

5. belle

belle

i usually throw them away as soon as i get them

6. Jdee

Jdee

Dealer stuff , I guess, I worked on some older Packards and The holes Stay !!!
    For the plaque. Its cool... It dates stuff i guess...
    Jdee

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have a drawer full of them, carefully wrapped in tissue. Like you, Mick, I get them out ever so often and look through them. Need to find a creative use for them

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I like the inside of the garage door idea.

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Was at one show where someone had a really nice old wood creeper that they had stained and varnished, and then covered up with dash plaques from shows. Trailer queen creeper, but they drove the car all over AND worked on it.
    I like them, I'd never put one on my car, but I like getting them

10. pinman 39

pinman 39

Dash plaques used to be works of art. I used to make them that looked like mini car club plaques .It seems that most small events just want a one color "Cheapy" .

"Good stuff not free .Free stuff not good "
    Somebody either famous or dead !

11. paintcan54

paintcan54

I only have a few that I really like, the one from my first car show 1990, one I got at a cruise nite in Ohio in '96, and the one from Frog Follies this year as it being my first time there, and the FF dash plaque has 2 louvers on it which is cool, none of my other 2,459 plaques have that.

12. realkustom51

realkustom51

My brother was commissioned for this one for Rods Exclusive in 79. He made a t shirt to match.

[​IMG]

13. WHIPOLDS

WHIPOLDS

I glue them to a cork board that is hanging in the garage. It brings back memories of past shows.:rolleyes:

14. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

I've started putting them in my 58 Dodge under the trunk hood. So when I open the trunk I can see all the dash plaques.

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Really ? Straight in the trash...:rolleyes: Im sure you could give them to a kid at the show who would appreciate them more than a trashcan would..

I put them in my kids room, he likes em..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    Model T1 likes this.
  16. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

i have quite a few but my grandpa has ALOT from the 70's 80' and 90's

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I had a whole bag of them and just threw them away.

18. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

I stick them on my beer fridge in the garage.

They add "character" to an otherwise mundane (but necessary) appliance!

Those of you who are throwing piles of them away..... send them to me!
    I'll pay shipping!

19. Remember those plastic folding tables with the hole for the umbrella, I stuck all mine on top until I filled both sides. Now the new ones are just taking up room in the garage.

20. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

I found a good use for the "lawyer magnets" you get with the phone book for mine. I trim the magnet to fit the plaque, use the double stick tape that comes on the plaque to glue on the magnet, and viola, you have a plaque that can be afixed to any metal surface. I havent seen an issue with them scratching anything yet (dont stick it to the drill press prior to your fresh painted dash I would guess). I normally only keep the most "current crop" in the car, as in if I go to show X this year, show X's plaque from last year migrates out of the car and into the shop.

21. dgc15

dgc15

I put the magnetic sheet on the back of mine also. I cover my tailgate with them when we go to a show. When the show is over they go back in the bag until the next show.

22. Just my thoughts Mick. I have always kept the cool ones (which yours is always one that tends to be) in a photo album. I like them because it's a great maker/dater for the pics of the different events I've got pics of. Up to you, the Katz are always cool get togethers no matter what.;)

23. Igosplut

Igosplut

I won't even go to car shows, never mind the plaques.

24. I've saved mine. Got them on the beer fridge in the shop, on the furnace, the tool box, and on the cabinet. Reminds me of the cool and the not so cool places I've been.
    Later,
    Dick

25. I like them. I had some made up for the cruise-in/movie showing of "Deuce of Spades" last May. Everybody appeared to be glad to receive them, didn't find any of them thrown on the ground...

26. mj40's

mj40's

I have a couple of yours and my favorite. Alone with a bazillion others dating back to mid 60's.

27. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I've put them on the inside of my garage entrance door for several years now. I also have a couple of plain tall metal cabinets. One is getting the sticker/decal treatment now and the other I'm saving for the plaques when the door space runs out.

48 Poncho

28. derpr

derpr

I put them on my tool box, but I went to the turkey run, and they gave a magnet instead. I put that one on the fridge

29. robber

robber

I also use them for marking the starting page of an event's pictures.
    Dash Plaques are cool and I have some that are older than some of our hambers. They are just stuff, but they are cool stuff! If its something that reminds you of a car, an event or an experience, it is really cool stuff!!
    They may just be memories, but they are very cool memories! Memories, usually of something related to simple and happy times with our cars and friends.

I've seen these things displayed in hundreds of different ways, but I really like the idea that if you don't want them, give them away. How about to some kid who is really admiring your car at a cruise in or event. You will make their day, they will remember your kindness for ever and you will probably give them the desease that we all have :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  30. slammed

slammed

You'll need codine, if you show your spambot butt around here^^^