Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dash mounted STARTER BOTTONS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Mar 9, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Is this Ron Francis Wiz Bang Super Duper button the same as the other without the bulge in the back? If they do the same thing why do they look so different? Don't like the looks of this one either, another swiped internet photo.

2. F&J

F&J

That one is closer to what the 40 to 50s Ford button looked like. Does the same as the one you have because it is 2 wire.

Try finding a pic of a stock repro 40 button, to see if you like it. The Ford used a nice domed stainless bezel. Then if you liked it, you'd need to find a two wire type to make an easier wire setup.

The stock Ford was one wire which grounded when pressed. As was mentioned, a one wire type can be used with a relay or a proper, grounding type solenoid.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, so I'm safe to use the Ron Francis style button, it has to have two wire tabs/connections. Once I find a button that looks good to me I can drill a hole to fit it and that phase of the build is over, correct? If I ever get grand kids they or the new owner can wire it, I'll be underground by that time. Thanks. Bob

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Why are you fixated on electrical fires? Have you ever had one or are you just listening to the Chicken littles with their sky is falling crap. Either of those buttons will work just fine. Get an idea where you want it and check for the clearance that you need. Go to a good parts store and hold one in your hand.

I seem to remember the starter buttons were usually on the left of the steering column on the old cars so that you could use your right hand to adjust the choke as you turn it over with your left thumb. Another advantage of that is you can reach through the window if you need to bump the engine over for some reason while you are working on it. It's certainly not critical where you put it.

5. I have three knobs on my dash, lights, wiper and ignition. The ignition switch has the same knob as the other two. The switch is your basic garden variety type car quest universial but the knob that matches the other two was cut and has the end of the key inserted into it. Look at the dash and you see three identical knobs.

6. mickeyc

mickeyc

I like the starter button on my 40 ford. I do hit it with my knee and make it bump when I am getting out sometimes. I also have a Square D brand push button momentary swith with 4 contact points on the back. This switch is about 30 yaears old. It has a large knurled button about 3/4
    of an inch in diamater and a visor like cover on the top. It looks pretty trick. I think they are still available from Square D.

7. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

just dont get this one...

[​IMG]

8. In my OT Morgan style trike I have a heavy duty toggle switch and a starter button. Flick the switch to turn on the electrickry then press the button (a momentary one) to fire it into life.

Never had a problem with thieves (and here in the UK car theft is a big problem because no one is allowed to be nasty to car thieves in case they cry) BUT it has been very useful when I have locked myself out of the house. There is also something very special about jumping in a car and just flipping a switch and pressing a button to make it go.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for all the info, time to put a lid on this deal, I won't have money for the gauges for a long long time so no sense worring about button holes.

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm not sure I follow this. The "hidden" switch is the ignition switch. If you stall, all you have to do is hit the starter button to restart it. The ignition switch doesn't turn itself off when the car stalls.

11. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

The sky is falling :eek:

12. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Just my two cents, but if you have the recurring problem of your ride dying on railroad tracks or in the middle of busy intersections, or everytime you wire up a new switch your ride suddenly burst into flames while driving down the road...you might want to sign yourself up for some basic electrical and or mechanical classes or find a different mechanic if you don't do your own work. Just sayin.

Anyway, that being said 37Kid, as far as a push button starter goes, were talking elctrical 101 here. Unlike many things in life that have to flow in a certian direction from start to finish, when it comes to my truck build I start with what I want the finished product to be and then engineer it backwards from there. My starter button is a prime example. I found a button I liked, and made it work. Not the other way around. If anything is a determining factor on the look or function I'm going for, it's price cause I'm cheap. When I first got the truck it got a simple on/off toggle switch for ignition and a $5 pushbutton from the local parts store for start cause I simply wanted to be able to start it and move it and knew that whatever I put in then would not be staying. When I finally started on the interior and setting up the dash the way I wanted, it ended up like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Key on the left side, starter button on the right. Key ignition out of the cheap parts bin for like $8. A $3 automotive relay. The button I don't recall. I just remember finiding the button one day while getting some toggle switches and liked the way it looked and operated. As far as theft, come on, let's be realistic here. A thief that really wants your ride is gonna get it even if it's a new Escalade with special cut keys, Radio Frequency Detectors and GPS tracking active alarms. You'll notice the keyfob on mine and it operates the alarm, door poppers (shaved handles) and windows. I was going to go ahead and stay with a toggle switch initially so that I didn't have a key at all (you can't get in the truck without the fob), but gave some thought to it and realized since the truck is being built for my daughter the last thing I wanted was the phone call of "Dad, I left my fob in the truck agian." so I kept the key so that when she would have to touch the fob to turn the truck off she would hopefully remove it and not leave it in there. Probably wishfull thinking on my part, but we can only do so much to protect ourselves and our children from their own stupidity.

I guess my point of all this Kid is decide what you want and make it happen. Hell, decide what you want and I'll draw it up on paper for you. It can be as fancy or straight forward as you want it to be. A simple switch on and push and hold to start or a complicated RDF sensor with no keys and a push once it will start on it's own/push agian it will stop. The simple one is easy though, just pick the switch you want, the button you want and with a simple relay and about 12 inches of wire you can bring a smile to your face everytime you push the little red button that makes your car go vrooom.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^ Thank you Mr. Carachi! Great to know this is doable someday down the road. I'm going to go back to fixing the doors and get electrical thought out of my mind now. Bob

14. aeropaw

aeropaw
    from McDonald

older fire trucks have a siren switch on the floor that looks just like a dimmer switch. it is kelsey hays I think. if you have an on /off switch on the dash for your ign.and the foot switch to start with?

15. I just rewired part of the system on my '40 Ford stake truck this past weekend, using the stock '40 start button. I posted what I did here: http://streetrodder.net/?p=834

Wired my '40 coupe like this back in '95, too!

16. scotsmerc64

scotsmerc64

I put an Autozone push button where the cigar lighter was in my 51. I used the lighter knob to disguise it and turned out pretty cool.

17. Any starter button will work. I have an original early ford button. My key is the original 32 column steering wheel lock and turn on power. Yes you will need wire:eek:

18. Dapostman

Dapostman

I use a momentary toggle switch I got from the hardware store.

19. wsdad

wsdad

You probably wouldn't enjoy owning a crank-start model T as much as some of the rest of us, :)