Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dash lights in a '63 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jq63, Apr 2, 2014.

1. jq63

jq63

Does anyone know the easiest way to change out the dash lights in a '63 impala? Thanks, JQ

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Are you talking about the bulbs? Turn the socket to the left and it should just pop out. replace the bulb and then replace the socket.

3. You reach up under the dash from below. Twist as stated and out they come.

4. jq63

jq63

Thanks I was wondering if you took the panel out thru the front.

5. Yes the panel comes out thru the front 6-8 screws. Disconnect the speedo cable first. Don't scratch the steering column use masking tape or ....
    Also, you pull out all the bulbs if I remember 1 or 2 wire bundles. I did a 1963 Impala back in 1995, I had the dash out though. Good luck.
    My .02 .

6. I had a '63 Bel Air for my 1st car, many moons ago. I think the sockets the bulbs (#53)
    fit in, are the kind that push in. Twisting may help you get them out, but I always had better luck kind of "tip" them out. Push the socket over and it snaps out. Make since?
    Later models took the 194 bulb that goes in the plastic socket- you twist those to get em out. The sockets in the '63 are metal with fingers that flare out from the socket, that's what 'snaps' them in the socket.
    You probably got em out by now. Done with the car, too. (Do I remember this right, guys?)

7. jq63

jq63

Thnx guys for the info!