Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dare to be different, really dare.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisp, Mar 8, 2007.

1. chrisp

chrisp

Here’s my personal project, I know some people will wonder “why, oh why wasting your time doing a car like this”. If you’re like that don’t even bother posting a : I don’t like it, cause I don’t give a rats ass about the fact you don’t like MY car. For the others, welcome.
    This is a 72 Citroen DS that I hope to finish some day in a ‘60’s style, originally it’s a 4 door sedan (coupes were coachbuilt, extremely rare and ugly too) I started by chopping the top 4” in front by laying the windshield back and 5” in the back by laying the back glass forward and sectioning 1” the area between the back window and roof skin which is fiberglass (or SMC not quite sure).
    [​IMG]
    At the same time I moved the B post back around 7" and cut it's upper part to make a hard top, the C post was moved foreward 1 foot thus making the car look like a coupe
    [​IMG]
    The car widens to the B post then is tapered to the back so after I moved the post here's what it looked like
    [​IMG]
    So I fixed this probleme like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I extended the 1/4 panels, on this car they are removable to access the rear tires, but now with a 7ft long 1/4 that's pretty difficult so I came up with the idea of using a hood hinge from a Mercedes
    [​IMG]
    Once finished it won't open that much, just enough to access the tires (It ain't no import shit)
    After that I extended the doors, since I used the rear ones for the 1/4 I had to come up with an other set of front doors (too lazy to fabricate) I got a very rough set from New Jersey for cheap plus with around 10 000 DS imported it's hard to find parts so I wasn't gona bitch about their shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I chose to extend that fade away to optically extend the car, good idea but the job is 10 fold harder, the door is tapered in it's heigth and width, that too make the job harder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After that I fixed the only rust I had on the car (got lucky on that one )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chrisp

chrisp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And finally a shortened 59 Chevy dashboard
    [​IMG]
    I'm almost done with the restauration of the hydraulic system. Hope it's gona be completly done sometime this year.
    In case you're wondering, I keep the original Engine/trans/hydrou-pneumatic suspension.
    [​IMG]

3. mattrod68

mattrod68

you do amazing work
    . that will be quite a head turner. alot of people will tell you its dumb and not custom material, fuck them they probably can't do half the fab work you can .

keep us up dated.

4. RoadrunnerRod

RoadrunnerRod

That'll be an interesting car! :)

5. chrisp

chrisp

Thank you.
    I forgot to say that somebody gave it the nickname of Shitroen, I liked it so much that it became it's name:D

6. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

there's no denying your talent fabrication-wise,but really,you need to seek professional psychiatric help :p :rolleyes: ;)

7. indyjps

indyjps

there was one featured in a magazine recently, I believe Hot Rod. those car syou either love 'em or hate 'em. nice fab work.

8. Who do you think you are??

Henri Chapron??

Very nice. And I'm a fellow Cit owner, inclined to like the lil' buggers stock-ish.
    Let us see it when it's done, please.

Cosmo

9. Square One

Square One

Amazing work my friend. I think it will be a badass little custom when you're done.

10. Koachbuilt with a "K".
    Excellent work, I like it a lot.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Cool. It's weird, but hey, it's a Citroen, right?

12. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Thinking outside the box....I think it's cool as hell

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

Well if you post on here (or really most anywhere) you have to expect to take the good and the bad, but I love those cars.

They are so ugly that they are beautiful cars. God how I hate to praise anything French also.

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I always thought those would be good car to take to Bonneville.
    It looks slippery, can't wait to see it in shiny bare metal like a fighter jet!

15. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Dude, you better be real careful. If you're not, that pesky Jay Leno is gonna start hanging around your place and start trying to be your best friend if you keep doing stuff like this.

You do some great work. Keep posting the updates. I'm sure most of us are interested now.

Vance

16. Fidget

Fidget

Does that have the Maserati engine?

You gots skills!!

17. rodknocker

rodknocker

nice, i get sick of seeing the same old same old all of the time,i like the engine set up in those too with the shaft driven accessories,keep on keepin on.good stuff

18. BenW455

BenW455

Damm that is a lot of work. Is that your truck in the background in the 2nd pic?

19. Great work, I'm loving the way it looks already, there was one in Hot Rod's Dare to be different section a couple of issues back, but yours looks like its gonna be way cooler when its done.

A friend back home in the UK used to have an SM with the Maserati engine in it, that was 'surprisingly fast'

Keep us updated

20. splitmike

splitmike

Thats gonna be a nice custom. A real head turner. I like different.

21. haring

haring

My inner Mod Sting likes it.

[​IMG]

22. I think it will look really good once done. Keep us posted

23. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Please keep us posted. That thing is fucking RAD!!!!!!

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Amazing fab skills...

Takes balls to be that brazen...but you definitely ain't gonna be seeing another parked next to you at an event...

Show us the finished poduct when you get closer...

R-

25. Frank

Frank

I've always liked the way the front end looks and I respect the engineering of the crazy suspension they had capable of balancing on 3 wheels should the need arise. I never could stand the shape from about the back of the front door rearward though.

Not really HAMB material, but interesting to see how it turns out.

26. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'm one to step up for cool whatever it is.Nice project,good luck with the build and keep us posted.Here a long term project of mine that will take that dare.
    [​IMG]

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You've done a great job making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, that is for sure. I've never seen a custom Citroen and this is a good 'un.
    I can't wait until somebody gets ahold of a ZIL limosine.

28. rixrex

rixrex

Way, way cool..I read the thread and before I saw the pictures, I was going to say how much I wanted one of the big Citroens, I was thinking stationwagon..after a bunch of 55 Chevys and some Cadillacs, I started getting into Nashes,Packards, especially Studebakers..keep us posted on yer progress!....

29. Frank

Frank

I've always liked the way the front end looks and I respect the engineering of the crazy suspension they had capable of balancing on 3 wheels should the need arise. I never could stand the shape from about the back of the front door rearward though.

Not really HAMB material, but interesting to see how it turns out.

30. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

me too, looking forward to more pics!