Register now to get rid of these ads!

History dare I open Pandora's A/G box but why not???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by evobuilder, Nov 14, 2017.

1. earlsgarage

earlsgarage
    from Montana

Gasser is just the term that they used to sum up the gas classes of late 50s through the 60s early 70s gas class or gasser had nothing to do with a straight axle big block none of that it was simply a class of racing that you had to run GAS as in gasoline in your car not nitro alcohol race gas or anything mixed type fuels it had to be pump gas and with the gas classes you were able to make modifications to your car unlike Jr stock or the other stock classes of the time but a gas class car still had to be street legal registered and insured up until sometime in the mid 60s I believe some one can correct me if I am wrong I won’t mind it this is just the information I have been reading and gathering as I am trying to put together a 57 2d post that raced in that era I to was going to do the straight axle but naw have decided against it because from what I have found not very many trifive cars racing the gas classes had straight axles and I want to have that argument with some know it all that comes up saying that it’s not a gas or because it doesn’t have a straight axle
    Dig your ride to I’ll post my pink 57 up when I am done with this

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

evobuilder likes this.
  2. evobuilder

evobuilder

I'm actually converting to a straight axle because I like the challenge and I like the look, not backing down from the dude's who say its not a gasser (and they usually don't even own one). I'll be selling my complete front suspension (drilled a-arms, stacked spindles, etc). Let me know if you are interested, I will keep you posted.

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Are you going to clip it or leave the front crossmember in?

4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Personally I would get rid of the high back buckets rather than the front end.