Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dan Glover mid-engine gold 57 chevy from Yucaipa California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevrolet150, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Nothing boring about THAT car, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but what are you building now?

2. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Not building anything now. I don't know if I will ever build anything again. I would like to find that '57 and cherry it out.
    Dan

3. It would be very cool to see you gettin behind the wheel of that 57.....I got a 56 that I had been after since high school cause a buddy built it,now I cant get the grin off my face when I go in the shop or drive it..cant imagine how stoked you could be if you got that one back

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I can say thanks enough Dan. As, I said, I have been drooling over this car since I was young. You have given me just the info I need to use for my little build. Thanks again. Tim ...Now I have to find the time to build it now...:D

I hope the car can be tracked down . It would be nice to see how it is doing after all these years.

5. WOW, I'm floored. This is one of the BEST threads I've read.....about one of the best cars I've seen

6. seatex

seatex

damn, just an incredible thread.................... this is what the HAMB is all about..................awesome car, Dan, thanks!
    Now somebody go find the damn thing!:cool:

7. Hey Dan, Thanks again for posting about your famous 57. If you manage to get some free time it would be real cool if you could tell us more about building the car and driving on the street. It must have created a distubance every time you left your house in it.

8. Hmmm.... I have a nice 57 210 body tucked away.....! Hey thanks for posting, this is a great thread with a lot of response.:)

9. Just picked up that Super Chevy issue on ebay. I had never seen those pics before. This is a car I just don't get tired of.

10. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Great Thread!
    Whats weird I have had a 57 150 no back seat for 4 years stock 6 cyl muncie 4 speed & have been trying to sell it & no bites! Well guess what I think it will be my next gasser project I already have 2 but 3 is better! Thanks for the great thread! Bill

Attached Files:

11. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Great story, can't imagine what it was like to drive it with a blown engine inside the car!! Looking forward to more updates.

12. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Awesome thread, about an awesome car... man, this just made my day!

13. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Fantastic car and great stories. Thanks for sharing the memories. That had to be an absolute gas to drive.

14. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Very cool. Welcome to the Hamb Dan. The car was killer. Hope it gets located.

15. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

DAN! it is great to see you on the HAMB, you have been a great influence on me since I first saw your 57 in a car magazine when I was younger.
    heres a pic of my car, although not mid engine.
    Thanks for all the info.
    Duke

Great Car Dan, great thread - Duke - have you ever seen an Australian movie called 'Running on empty'? I know it was released under a different name here, can't remember what, but there's a black blown '57 150 in there.

16. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Fast Lane Fever I think.

17. Is the 6 cyl car Richard Johnson's old car?

18. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES! Richard Johnson Out Of Burbank! Good Eye Groucho!

19. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

That's it! Got a copy somewhere

20. monsterflake

monsterflake

oh! i saw that movie dubbed in german while in the army. anybody got a copy i could get?

21. I enlarged the photos from the Jan. 1990 super chevy article. Here ya go.... stuff1 001.jpg stuff1 002.jpg stuff1 003.jpg stuff1 004.jpg stuff1 005.jpg stuff1 006.jpg stuff1 007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2022
  22. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I've always been a big fan of engine set-back. Even just an inch can make a VERY noticeable difference in front/rear weight bias. My old '55 Gasser in my avatar had quite a bit. Probably even an illegal amount for the C and D/Gas classes it ran in back in the day. I've always liked Glover's '57 pictured here and remember the features on it. It looked like a very well put-together car and I really hope that the car surfaces some day intact.

23. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Thanks for enlarging those pics. Awesome car. Would be VERY cool to clone this one...

24. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Hey Gasser; Thanks for the enlargements. Very cool of you to do that.
    I hope to post some photos of the engine before it made it into the 'Old Gold ' when it did time in a dragster featured in 'Drag Racing Mag 1969 I think. Article by Ralph Gudhal. (not sure of the spelling of his last name)
    On the cover of that mag were two Jr. Fuel dragsters. The Wasp and the Stinger.<O:p</O:p
    It is still amazing to me that that gold 57 got so much ink. One thing I wanted everyone to know is that I didn't chop up a classic. I don't think the '57 was much of a classic in '69 anyway.<O:p></O:p>
    When I bought the car for $50 bucks it was totally gutted. No seats and nothing in the dash. No instruments heater cables, wiring etc. Nothing at all. Just a total shell so out came the torch and the saws. The front leaf springs were new and I got them from the local golf cart builder.<O:p></O:p>
    More some other time.<O:p></O:p>
    Dan<O:p></O:p>

25. Hey Dan, I don't know if you'd still remember but I'll ask anyway. Do you know what size rear tires you were running on the 57 and how wide the rear wheels were?
    Thanks.

26. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Gasser,I'm not sure. They were M&H and all I remember is that they might have been 10" wide. Wide tires on the street for 1970's stuff.<O:p></O:p>
    The rims were 14 or 15 X 12 wide. Just not sure if all this is correct.<O:p></O:p>
    Dan<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>

27. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Awesome car, but I have a stupid question. What is a "free wheeling trans" and why would you want a car that doesn't slow down when you let off the throttle?

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Not about this car but have you ever driven a 50's-60's era stick (3spd) car with overdrive? When they were in overdrive and you let off the gas they would just coast, no compression braking. It wasn't a matter of "wanting" that feature, it's just how it was.

Frank

29. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

I don't build Turbo 400's but when you modify them for racing and remove ALL the automatic features they will free wheel in 1st and 2nd gear. 3 rd (high) doesn’t free wheel. Also since there are no automatic features you must shift every gear or it will just stay where you put it. If you select 3rd it starts out in 3rd, select 2nd and it starts out in 2nd and it will stay there until the world stops turning unless you move it to another gear. Every turbo 400 I know of was that way. Could be some other method but I don't know of any. The turbo 400 in question was done by Engine Masters in the late 60's.
    <O:p

30. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Merry Christmas to all!

The latest info on the gold chevy is from 1995. It was painted red at that time and was sold to a guy in Granite City Ill. Someone in that area might be able to get a lead on the curent location.