Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dan Glover mid-engine gold 57 chevy from Yucaipa California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevrolet150, Aug 7, 2009.

1. That is WAY too cool. The car and the search.
    Any car thing you wanna know, we got in right here on the HAMB. This place is amazing.
    DAMN!!!

2. Sumguy

Sumguy

No I sold it some years ago ! I will tell that story latter Thanks

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

so gary, do you know where the car is now? we've heard the owner died, but it's gotta be around somewhere....

4. Sumguy

Sumguy

No ! The guy I sold it to was Barnes from IL, About two years after selling it his wife called me and said he died in a car crash ( not this one ) and wanted to know if wanted to buy it back, I wasnt interested at the time. Then a few more years latter a friend of mine saw it in a add in a car mag the new owner was requesting info on it. I let it go and didnt reply then forgot about it. I think if we work togather we can find this car ! At this time I would really like to have it back or at least be able to see it!

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

There are NO BAD ANGLES on this car....bitchin'.....

6. man.... this is so cool! we find out tons of info on a car in just a matter of days. I too have the mag that it was in (not for sale) the other one.

7. Thanks Gary for posting about the car. I've been wondering about this car since I was a kid. This is about my all time favourite 57. I wanna base mine on it (minus the engine in the front seat) with the Cragars and no front bumper. The $3500 purchase price is incredible but I guess in 75 that was probably a decent piece of change. What was the reaction when you got it home? Did the locals realize the car was nationally famous from the magazines? That is fantastic that we're this close to gettin' to the bottom of this. Hope we can finally solve this one. Please keep the stories coming on this one.

8. jangleguy

jangleguy

God I love this place. What a great car and story!

9. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

What he ^^^^^ said. Car is soooooo tough and the story is great! Can't wait to hear the rest!

10. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I first heard of the car while sitting in drafting class at Yucaipa High School probably 1965 or ‘66. A friend says ”Hey Mike this guy down the street bought a ‘57 Chev with a supercharger” … “Gave me a ride, it hauls ass.” As I recall when Dan Glover bought the car it was pretty much stock except for the blown small block. It seems if my memory is correct that it had a three speed on the column and I think a 4-71, it might have been built by a family member. Over the nest few years I would hear stories of the car being modified but seldom if ever saw it. The last time I saw the car was probably ‘69 or ‘70 as we passed each other in opposite directions and it had by then been extensively modified with the engine set back etc. Dan was enough older than me that I didn’t know him from high school and as I graduated in ‘68 that would make him mid sixties today. A previous post mentioned that he worked for an airline I seem to think that at the time he worked for Lockheed Propulsion in neighboring Mentone. ”Sumguy” related that Dan was reluctant to fire the car at night, in deference to his parents we presume. Well apparently he wasn’t always so thoughtful. Another story I heard but did not witness is that he was rebuilding the blown Chevy in his bedroom at his folks house, messy enough. The story continues that he did the initial fire-up of the engine in the bedroom. Apparently the windows were not “Blown Chevy Rated“. As far as the $3500.00 price, things were much cheaper then but I have to think with quality parts that he would have had that much in the engine.

11. Sumguy

Sumguy

OK Want to hear more ? When I got the car home there was no one around here that had ever seen anything like this in there life ! Some of the mods I did was add a extra moon gas tank under the hood, put on front brakes & line lock, re did the interior in black & gold w/a diamond stich, put in a 3500 stall converter and the fire wall was black so my brother painted it to match the out side color ! One of the main reasons for me selling the car was one night cruising up E Washington ave to drive around the square ( thats what we did round & round the square all night ) a cop pulled me over before I got there walked up to the front window looked in and you know what he saw ! He then walked to the back window and told me to sit tight untill he ran the plate. The next thing three more cops show up now I have one in the back of me two in front and one along side me, Iam still sitting in the car and they are looking this thing over with big smiles on there face, They had more words with me and said they needed to call the chief. The next thing the chief shows up from up town in a unmarked car looks my car over and tells me that there is something wrong with the car but he dosent know what ! He told me to take the car home and call the state patrol the the next day and have them inspect it. Well I did they wrote up two pages of violations and told me I could not drive the car untill I fixed everything ! It was just to much ( defrosters, front bumper, 4 way flashers,cover the motor etc. ) I will see if I still have the papers. Thanks for your interest. Gary

Tickety Boo and slickhale like this.
  12. Another story I heard but did not witness is that he was rebuilding the blown Chevy in his bedroom at his folks house, messy enough. The story continues that he did the initial fire-up of the engine in the bedroom. Apparently the windows were not “Blown Chevy Rated“. As far as the $3500.00 price, things were much cheaper then but I have to think with quality parts that he would have had that much in the engine.[/QUOTE]
    That sounds like something i would do! When I read that I spewed my drink everywhere laughing.

13. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

Was the st. paul show the Street machine nationals? 1977? they had the street rod nationals a week later, both events at the Minnesota state fairgrounds. I worked for Lou Fegers Racing back then and he had a bunch of t-shirts printed up for both evenets. Wish I still had those shirts.

There used to be a 1960 vw beatle running around Minneapolis with a 318 motor exactly where the 57's motor was. You had to get into it from the passenger side, the steering shaft was in the way of the drivers door. You sat in the rear seat too.

14. 24riverview

24riverview

That's kinda what I was thinking when I posted that picture but wasn't sure. I do think you are right.

15. ARNIE

ARNIE

Hey Gary, didn't that have a free wheeling torque flite? Didn't Dan build it? Thanx! Arnie

16. Sumguy

Sumguy

Yea you could be right, But it seems to me that it shifted more then once. All I did to the trany was add the converter. I dont know how that free wheeling thing worked but it shure was cool. Gary

17. monsterflake

monsterflake

do you remember what part of illinois the guy was from?

18. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I wonder what happend to the car after Gary was sold it. A car that differnt ,I think would be remembered. I hope some can keep the story going. I hope we can find the car . I may be changing my 57 gasser build to be like that car. Tim

19. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great story. Looking forward to additional information!

20. Any new leads ?

21. No kiddin'....I wanna know more too...I may just wind up with a "what if" Pontiac substitute for this one....wow!

22. It's been a couple weeks now. Anything new to report on the car? Seemed like this mystery was gonna be solved real quick for a while there.

23. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I was wondering why no more information too. I am thinking of doing my own version of that car now. But with massive-ly raduised rear wheel wells. I was doing a X clone but this car would be much more fun to duplicate plus it would be a blast to drive.:D Tim

24. It's funny you mention a Project X build as I'm always torn between that car and Glovers car too. I think I'd hafta go with a different color though because I don't think I want an actual clone of somebody elses ride. If you see any images of a 57 with tastfully radiused wheelwells how about posting them. Thats the tough thing with a 57 in that ya can't just give the wheelwells the TLB treatment without it lookin' like hell. The Shake Rattle & Run 57 has about the best wheelwells I've seen on a 57.
    [​IMG]

25. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I like radical wheelwell radius's but that is just me. I want to do a car like the Glover car now that I have pic of the inside of it but with a 60's feel. If you look at the pic below you can see the car in the back ground that will become this car. I want 31 inch tall whitewall slicks but I dont want the car to high. I want a gasser but not a sky high one. I was doing a x clone but then I thought would be more fun for me. Tim

Attached Files:

26. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Awesome story, hope it's found, Radical 57 for sure!

27. I wish I knew more about it...hopefully something more turns up. Last thread posting did not seem to pull any recent info from the wood work. Good luck!

28. ARNIE

ARNIE

Anybody seen this car in the last 3 years?? If so please share!!

29. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I guess that car has just disapeared.