Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Damn it looks good cleaned up.. Why tidy up a vehicle just to sell it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, Jul 12, 2015.

1. I've spent the last couple weeks cleaning the jailbar pickup before listing on "that" auction site. Nothing major just a bunch of misc, replacing a switch, finishing battery hold-down, hanger bracket, etc.. I've never thought of myself as "lazy" but it seems like it since I've done this before with drivers, projects and parts... this again... damn I'm a slow learner!

Do we all do this? Will it stop... How many more before I come to my senses?

Its never looked better IMG_1242.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    53olds, lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. With a little fresh primer around the rear fenders/running boards and knocking some dents outta the fenders, I'd call it done! And then I wouldn't sell it. Love it! If I had some disposible $$$$ we'd be talking a deal.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. It's funny how we put up with these little things for years and then finally get around to fixing them so we can sell the car.

4. nice truck btw

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Every car that I have sold has been at it's best when it left. Some even after the deal was done but before it was picked up. You are not alone.

6. drtrcr1025

drtrcr1025

i know i am guilty of that...probably every car i've sold except the fairlane...and thats because i didnt wanna sell it...haha

7. It is funny how we tolerate stuff, and then get it all fixed up and cleaned up when we decide to sell. I am guilty of it too. Truck looks good in the pic, Seems those jailbar trucks are kind of underappreciated.

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I'm doing it to a Chevy step side right now that sat in my neighbors yard for 10+ years. I don't need it and won't make much money on. It just needed doing. It is just too strait and kool to go to the junk yard. My daughter said it is what I am good at. I guess she is right.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Yep, everything gets fixed for the new owners to enjoy while you just lived with, tolerated, or even have been annoyed with those things.

Houses are the same way

10. Good looking truck,why did you post it in THAT SITE and not here? HRP

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. flynstone

flynstone

shit, why did I not do that before I sold it............lol

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Yes, we are smart enough to know we have a better chance of selling it and getting a decent price if we do those small repairs and clean it up, but not smart enough to realize how much more we would enjoy it if we did it when we would enjoy the fruits of our labor. My wife has said that about the houses we have owned, now she wants to enjoy it in the last house we are likely to own, so now I am working on the house instead of working on my project. o_O:oops:

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  13. HRP,
    its not hamb traditional, late model chassis, OT turbo four, etc... and I'd rather not hear a bunch of noise for it

volvobrynk and blowby like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

you clean a car before selling it so you are sure none of the stuff in it isn't stuff you'll need at a later date. I take a trash can out to the daily driver every 4-6 weeks, always fine some long lost item. Bob

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Yeah, but if you get that house squared away enough for "management," you will likely get much more support and understanding regarding your project/projects.;)

I've done the fix it all before you sell it thing, too. I ain't no better... I HAVE been trying to improve my act and have recently fixed several things on several of my treasures that have been bugging me for some time.
    I've gotta tell y'all that it REALLY makes me feel satisfied as I complete each little, sometimes bigger, thing.
    Try it; you will like it.:)

Also, selling on the HAMB is much better that the other option mentioned and your efforts are better appreciated by the buyer versus the other option where sometimes the wanna be buyer doesn't really know much about a vehicle but its price which can take allot of time and piss you off, too, on occasion. Just sayin'

16. Around here the only time people wash their cars is when it's for sale.:rolleyes:

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Yet we all look for the ones that still need cleaned and fixed . Just a crazy pastime.

18. I fixed up an OT car I wanted to sell, wound up keeping it for a couple years more...

19. You should have cleaned it up for yourself not the new owner. LOL

But if it makes you feel any better I have a tendency to leave them rough, I sell them because I don't want to woek on them and end up working on them anyway. Bleeech.

I wish you were trading me that for my willys instead of selling it to a stranger though. :D

20. Squirrel just posted on another thread that these are the ugliest old car/truck ever, he is wrong once in awhile. (no offense Squirrel)...I love these things and yours sure has the look.

charleyw likes this.
  21. Got it,tHe truck does look good. HRP

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's usually what happens to me too - clean 'em up to sell 'em . Pretty silly , isn't it ?

23. LOL I had one of those for a while in high school and mine was butt ugly. But cleaned up that are a nice looking truck or can be.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That sounds a little silly, but the most silly part is that you didn't post the link of it on here, with a warning like:

Beware; the trad part is only skin deep, but it's an great truck, go make up your own mind, and if you don't like call your own mama, because nobody on the HAMB wants more drama!

But there might be someone on here who wants the look and drive train, but don't wants to do the ground up build all over again.

I for one like it, and agree with the others, we all done it, some more then ones/more then we care to say!!

25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I like them, the are good salt of the earth honest work trucks, I don't find them beautiful like a Art Deco 46 Chevy, but they are dependable like a golden retriever, and that I like in a truck!!

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I sold a 62 Impala for 250.00 and the guy came back and wanted me to put A frame bushings in it for free because the tire store said that they were bad when they took it in to have tires put on it (they were) I did change them after he bought the bushings but it goes to say if you don't fix some of those little things that you didn't fix before they come back to haunt you later after the sale even on a dirt cheap car.

27. ....................................I understand where you're coming from but, they seem to show a little more latitude in the classifieds. You would have certainly been chastised if you posted a build thread.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. LOL 2 years ago I sold a little jelly bean car that had been my granddaughter's first car. I put right in the ad sold as is where is and that it would need brakes at the very least. it wasn't a bad car I just didn't want to work on it. Guess who ended up putting brakes on it. :D

29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Beaner, the soft touch! :rolleyes:

30. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Clean = Money, that's why.
    I had a foreign OT beater pickup truck (in white), that I never washed in the 3-4 years I owned it. There was literally moss and mold growing on the paint. When I decided to sell it, I broke out the 9" buffer and some compound and gave this thing a shine like it never had before. Sold it for more than I paid for it after using about 30K miles for free.

volvobrynk likes this.