Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Damn,I hate it when someone says nice rat rod!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at their late model ride------Return the compliment by saying----"Nice cookie cutter".

els likes this.
  2. A little tidbit of humor,I use to do a good amount of business with a elderly black lady who had a lot of rental property,she called me one day needing several cases of paint and since I was on my way out the door I told her I would run it by her house on my way home.

I just so happened to be driving my Model A pickup and she was on the front porch when I arrived...

She ask me when did I get my dune buggy? :D HRP

upload_2017-9-28_13-39-0.jpeg

With terminology I suppose it boils down to semantics and the flavor of the month or era. :rolleyes: HRP

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I would correct them and let them know that it is NOT a ratrod, but a diligently built work of artistory. (let them figure that one out)

els likes this.
  4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It's what Igor smells like.;)

Stogy and els like this.
  5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

At least they are showing interest and trying to be polite-----------

els likes this.
  6. The general public has no clue and are just trying to pass a compliment along and a good number of us are going to get our panties in a bunch and shit on them, then start another thread on how people don't talk to us about our cars! Instead smile and say thank you, and if given the opportunity explain the difference, we started out not knowing at some point as well!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rdscotty and els like this.
  7. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I had an old 51 Ford one time. It really did get drug out of an old barn, back before that was the big thing. The paint was crap, the chrome was crap and the varmints had tore up the inside. I got it to run, it was just a stock V8 flat head, but I put a set of Fenton headers on it and a set of side pipes and hooked them up with no mufflers. I tore out all the interior and patched the floorboards with sheet metal and screws. I did get the front seat recovered, it was the nicest part of whole car, but I just left the back seat out. I was a little early, for the rat rod craze, it hadnt been invented yet, and I didnt have the foresight to start my own fad. It wasnt my everyday car, just something we fooled around with on the weekends.My Granny called it a Jalopy, because that's what it was to her. Most would call it a Rat Rod today, but since I am old school I prefer Jalopy.:D:eek: Maybe that's what I''l start using, Jalopy...kind of like a lot of the one's I see here.:rolleyes: " No ma'am, its not a rat rod, its a Jalopy", and leave em wondering.

Alaska Jim, Stogy and els like this.
  8. HRP, at least you know folks like your car!
    So far no one has said that to me yet.

lothiandon1940 and els like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I've got a few "nice Falcon" about my Chevy II. And yesterday someone called it a Dart.

but they are pretty close...those cars were all designed to be copies of each other

10. LAROKE

LAROKE

Off on a tangent - My fellow car geezers and I were having coffee outside at our Sunday morning cruise-in when a bird of prey swooped down from a lamp post and grabbed a rodent of some kind. After a pause, one guy asked "What's the difference between a falcon and a hawk?" Another pause and my friend, Bill, stated "One is a Ford." Another pause and I said "And the other is a Studebaker." We then contemplated that in silence.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Takes me a while to catch onto something sometimes but yea good one...:D

clunker and els like this.
  12. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

When they smile or nod approvingly regardless of what they call it, it is a compliment and I just take it as such.
    My wife and I had a discussion about the term "old lady"
    She suggested I never use that term to describe her ( not that I do).
    I ask what if I said " I wouldn't trade my old lady for anything on this earth"?
    She allowed as context and inflection may help a bit.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

How does one tell the difference between a finished RR and an unfinished RR?

14. LOL And they only gave ya second place in that. Well, at least ya got something to strive for. :)

I thank I have you guy's beat , went to see a couple of friends at a show in there little town took my barracuda when they started passing out awards they called my name 2nd place in UNFINISHED RAT ROD class told them thanks but no thanks to keep, it my friends bout pissed there pants. I thought it was a joke NOPE loaded up. one of the judges came over and apologized, couldn't believe it

els likes this.
  15. norms30a

norms30a

I parked my Model A coupe near the high school recently and a group of young men walked by and one of them said "nice T bucket"

DaPeach and els like this.
  16. Brother. Add this to the 37,000 other threads like it.
    I'm going to look for threads with cool cars! Really like the 41 Ford radio thread ( I'm a complete idiot about electricity).
    I'm watching the upholstery tutorial thread, my Cool Photos thread, lot's of good stuff! Bailing on this one!
    Jeeez, some of you ARE grouches! LOL
    gratuitous hot rod picture below! 2.JPG

17. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

My work has an annual "Bring your wheels to work" car show. A few co-workers wanted to see my car because we talked about it during the build. So I brought it in a couple years back and received nice comments from people I'm friends with.

A guy I didn't know saw it, spent several minutes looking it over, talking to me and telling me how much he liked it. Then as he left he told me he "really wanted to build a rat rod like it some day".

I just smiled and said thank, glad that I brought my car to show to co-workers I'm friends with and were interested. But I really like driving my car to events like the Lone Star Roundup or events attended by a large number of hot rodders. I don't care for car shows where most of the people aren't really car people and don't know what they are looking at. Work car show was okay, done, checked the box, don't need to do that again.

Dan2x.jpg

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ignorance is not knowing.Stupidity is refusing to learn.

els likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't believe I'm going to comment after I promised the priest at confession today that I wouldn't but it won't be the first time I've backslid. Doing a bit of research on the "offensive term" I cite the following from the trusted, respected, venerated and revered Urban Dictionary;
    upload_2017-9-28_15-43-6.png

And a second entry that is an interesting side note;
    upload_2017-9-28_15-43-55.png
    Perhaps a compliment is just that and we should be grateful to receive one. Not everyone in the world defines the term the way the HAMB does. That top definition probably is an accurate description of just about everyone of us on here at some point in our lives...or should be.

Back to my penance.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your car...;)...the Chevy Hotrod...

els and chevy57dude like this.
  21. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then............................................." Ron

els and BigDogSS like this.
  22. Thanks, Stogy, and Gary's pic made me think of a Bantam.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Billy the text isn't small enough I can still read it...:D...Cripes the first one sounds like a roundy round car or unfinished Hotrod. Poor Jalopies and Hotrods...the definitions may be fueling the confusion.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    els likes this.
  24. So I searched out my fav..[​IMG]

lothiandon1940, els and Stogy like this.
  25. We forgive you, though you have sinned my son, the HAMB forgives you.

els and Stogy like this.
  26. els likes this.
  27. little red 50

little red 50

I had a kid (about 18 years old) tell me that I sure have a nice Volkswagen. Maybe it was the shape of my car? I explained that it was a 54 chevy he just said.... oh like he was disappointed. No biggie maybe he likes 54 chevys now.
    HPIM3043.JPG

els likes this.
  28. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Nope, took the money and ran.
    I was at another car show and won best bike with a Harley. It was the only motorcycle there. I won the long distance award too. It was 26 miles from home... :rolleyes:

els likes this.
  29. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Yep that's it. It's actually a rental house since the tornado. I know that he had the 32' B-400 at the time. But I think he would approve.

lonejacklarry and els like this.
  30. desotot

desotot

About 30 years ago a lady with a little kid walked into my shop. The kid sees my 50 Lincoln coupe and says, look mom, a punch buggy.

els likes this.