Register now to get rid of these ads!

DAMMIT!!!! truck wont start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskool55, Jun 4, 2005.

1. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i bought it off some machine shop teacher he said it had alittle done to it im not sure what but a high volume pump is the only reason i can think of for losing so many breathers on the freeway:confused:

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Sorry dude, things don't sound real good to me. If the plugs are out of the motor and you still can't turn it over by the crankshaft pulley, sounds like it new motor time, and I'm not talking starter motor here.

A couple things to try. See if you can get a socket and a breaker bar to fit on the crankshaft bolt that is inside the belt pully. with the plugs out of the motor the motor should turn over fairly easy with the breaker bar and socket. If it doesn't turn, or turns real hard, things are not good. You can try turning the engine backwards if it won't turn forwards. Sometimes something inside will lock and keep it from turning in the right direction, until you turn it backwards a little first. If turning it backwards frees up the motor/engine. you have to find out what caused it to stop turning. It will not fix itself.

Unfortunately there are many more things that can stop an engine from turning over inside the motor there there is in the bellhousing, esspecially with an automatic. About the only thing I can think of in the bellhousing that can stop a running motor (or keep one from turning over) is a loose flex plate to torque converter bolt. Again, with a lot of oil outside of the engine, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for the loose torque converter bolt, but it is a posibility.

There should be an inspection cover at the bottom front edge of the transmission, between the motor and the trans that can be unbolted so you can look at the torque converter bolts. At least one would have to be loose enough to wedge between the flywheel/ torque converter and the motor block.

Just so we are clear on this one, If you can't turn the motor/enging over with out the spark plugs in it with a socket and breaker bar, the starter would not stand a chance turning over the motor/engine. Sorry to be the bearer of all this bad news. Gene

3. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

yeah i tried the breaker bar thing both ways the nut just tightened really tight the first way and came lose the other way. this was with the plugs out and the starter out. im still hoping for something being wedged in the bell housing... looks like ill be pulling the motor/tranny pretty soon.:rolleyes:

4. If you suspect something jammed in the flywheel there should be metal shavings in the bellhousing.You'd be able to see that with the starter out.If you dont find any metal dust or shavings in the bell look for a different problem.

If you are blowing breathers out on the highway its most likely from excesive crankcase pressure (blowby, bad pcv) not the fram filter or high volume oil pump.I run a fram filter on my small block mopar with a high volume pump and routinly spin the motor to 7000rpm with out so much as a hint of oil coming out of the breather.Either way, sounds bad! I hope I'm wrong but it sounds you might have a new boat anchor. good luck with it.

5. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

since when was a 400m anything other than a boat anchor??;) i found a bunch of shaving in the starter but i think thats from the gear comming out too far and contacting the rest of the starter... atleast that what it did when we tested it at kragen.... thers still oil in the pan theres just a thin layer of it everywhere else too:rolleyes:

6. Sometimes a timing chain will slip right at the instant you hit the key... or, if it "coughs" and spins backwards when you shut it off.
    If it did, it may have bound up in the timing cover...

Just a thought.

JOE:cool:

7. plan9

plan9

some details were left out in the original post... like the oil coming from the seals.

either way, the motor should come out and get a check up, ie junkyard dogs suggestion about the timing chain, visual inspection of oil passages and even checking the main bearings.

8. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i was working in the dark i didnt notice all the oil until the next day... ill be pulling the engine soon and most likely just trashing it...

9. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

isthatbad?

Attached Files:

10. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal