Register now to get rid of these ads!

DAMMIT!!!! truck wont start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskool55, Jun 4, 2005.

1. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i backed my truck 10 feet down my drive way to take pictures of it... it sat for five minutes and then i went to start it, it wont turn over. you can her the starter inguage but it wont turn over, so i thought maybe my battery was low. charged it for an hour go to start it and it does the same thing. i tried again and it grinds so i think though the starter was loose. i jacked it up and checked it it wasnt loose. try to start it again and it does the same damn thing!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: wtf is wrong with it? what could have happened in the five minutes after it started fine to make it not want to start?

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Really, is having cuss words in your thread title necessary? :rolleyes:

In your blind fury, did you check to make sure you have an adequate chassis and engine ground? How good is the battery? Are all connections clean and tight?

Driveways aren't the most flattering location for photos...

3. Bendix spring/arm...

Otherwise... Your flywheel is loose. :eek:

JOE:cool:

4. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

it started fine 5 minutes before i drove it yesterday. and just about everyday for the last year. the battery is 6 months old and has a full charge if the title is offensive im sorry ill edit it. they were quick pictures to send to someone that inquired about buying it....

5. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

so i should take this starter in on warrenty? its about 3 months old

6. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

flat battery ? poor connections? poor connection to the solenoid actuation? faulty solenoid? faulty starter motor? It sounds to me like your starter is packed it in. Is this a daily driver? or does she sit for periods of time... GM starters are excellent examples of the worst starters to store in a wet/humid area. They crap out all the time. Starter drives also pack it in. If you have a parts car try pullin the starter from that just to test. if not....try given er a knock with a hammer a few times. sometimes it werks.. sometimes it doesnt.

My $1.05

NAILHEAD

7. If the starter spins and doesnt engage the teeth on the flywheel, yes... take it back.

Either that, or you didn't shim it right, and it ate the bendix gear right off...

Do you have a bad oil leak that would have gummed it up?
    Then the gear won't slide on the shaft.
    They won't take it back if that's what does it.

JOE:cool:

8. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

its my daily. i tried the hammer thing... i guess ill pull the starter to see whats up... i doubt its shimmed wrong because i havent messed with it since i put it in 3 months ago and ive driven it just about everyday since then. it also enguages on the flywheel but wont turn the engine over so im guessing the motor took a shit. whats pissing me off is IT ONLY SAT FOR 5 MINUTES SINCE THE LAST TIME IT STARTED:mad:

9. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

oh btw its a ford starter:D

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Really hate to suggest bad things, but the motor in the car (not the starter) didn't lock up did it? :eek: Seem em do that in less time then 5 minutes.
    Hope for the starter crapping out. Gene

11. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

what wouldve caused it to lock up?

12. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

so i pulled the starter how can i tell if its bad by looking at it?

13. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

Try turning the engine a little bit with a wrench or by kinda pop starting it(if its a stick) Im thinking maybe a bad spot in the flywheel? Just a suggestion...... cuss words in the title kickass.

14. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

While you got the starter out, check out the block around the mounting holes. I finally found some small cracks around one of mine. I was having the same problem you are. It would start fine then another time it would just grind or just lock up. The bolts would still feel tight but it moved just enough to make it grind.

15. A lot of big auto parts stores will test your starter for free. If it's under warranty and the place you bought it has a tester, start there. Re: the clicking sound you hear. Did you actually hear the starter drive engage or is it just clicking? The starter relay is pretty cheap and may be bad. Check all your terminals first for corrosion though. Give them a shot of WD-40 and brush them off and see what happens.

16. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

looks like it is something in the engine i got a new starter had the old one tested it was bad so i thought cool easy fix.... WRONG put the new one in and tried to start it... same dame thing starter enguages but doesnt turn the engine over. so i put a big breaker bar on the crank pulley and couldnt get it to budge... i hope it spontaniously combusts over night.... if i ever had to see it again it would be too soon.:mad:

17. Well that really sucks. Was it running fine before? Unusual for it to just seize up like that...dumb question but is there oil? Did you have oil pressure?

18. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

yeah its got oil it seemed to be running fine i just idled it down my drive way i didnt pay attention to the oil pressure guage. my dad says its vapor locked... but its been sitting for about 5 hours now how long does vapor lock last?

19. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

vapor lock is usually a hot fuel line and your fuel stops flowing

you might mean a hydra lock? as in excess fuel or water in your cylinders
    pop the plugs and see if anything comes out, might want to try and crank it over as well with the plugs out and its zero compression

check the oil?

see if you can crack it over backwards a touch to fee it up again

20. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

went out pulled all the plugs and still couldnt turn it over by hand or with the starter. the starter just engauges the ring gear and stops. so theres either something in the bellhouseing thats binding the flywheel or the engine shit the bed... im not looking forward to pullin either....

21. plan9

plan9

haha... motor gone bad? doubt it. too many cooks in the kitchen

if you are worried about the motor, yank the plugs out and try to spin it. check the flywheel for excessive wear.

tried doing some voltage tests? what kind of motor?
    -coil
    -battery

if gunk is on the starter that could be a problem.

problems dont just happen, its usually a repetative problem that you might not know about or know how to hear.

22. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

tried all that... the starters new just replaced it today(after it wouldnt turn over) its a 400 m ford. tried the spark plug thing. some thing is stuck the starter ENGUAGES THE FLY WHeEL BUT DOES NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER. the battery has been charging all day so its not the battery. i guessin something lodged its self in the bell housing.

23. plan9

plan9

i say stop fucking with it and go to sleep.

tackle it tommorow...

as an aside, dont let everyone put weird shit in your head about whats going on... we cant accurately troubleshoot the problem since we arent acctually there. you need to methodically check everything, you have obviously pinpointed part of the problem... the motor doesnt turn over, go from there and take your time, just stay focused on the task at hand.

i dont even know if you have an automatic or stick... what year is the truck?

back it up little and throw it in park, then give it another crank..

24. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

its an automatic its pretty much a 1970s something ranchero in a 1955 f100s clothing.... tomorrow im going to pull my starter out to see if thats whats catching. then ill try turning the fly wheel manually to see if anything falls out. i wish it wasnt so heavy so i could put it in the garage... laying half in the street and half on the side walk uder a truck is scary and very uncomfortalbe.... since its an auto pushing it in gear wouldnt do anything would it?

25. plan9

plan9

i use to live in hollywood on my sisters floor and use to wrench under my truck, in the street with cars speeding down a 1 car road.. idiots.

doesnt hurt to try and back it down another 5ft (if you can spare the space) then try to start it. maybe throw it in neutral and give it a crank. dunno, but if it doesnt work go back to plan A..

26. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

true... i got the whole street. i had to put it on the street because i cant park in the driveway (stupid condo) and my driveway was too steep to push it back up into the garage... that truck is fuckin heavy it took 5 people to get it up the drive way when i dropped my driveshaft... but yeah im not too worried about the cars its the methed out homie that live across the street that i bother me... the last thing i need is one of them to come over and mess with my jack while im under it...

27. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

update pulled the plugs and the starter still couldnt turn it over at the crank pulley or the flywheel... i saw the engine in the day light and theres oil everywhere everyseal that could leak oil is leaking oil i guess that from driving it on the freeway ah high rpm and having a high volume pump and a shitty fram filter...

28. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

them Fram filters are no good?? I just changed the oil in my truck and the wifes car and used Fram filters, figured they were good ones:eek:

29. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

theyre restrictive atleast thats what ive heard on here and noticed with my oil pressure guage

30. Restrictive filter and high volume pump? Yeah, that could be bad news. Why the high volume pump? Is the motor rodded out?