Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dallas/Joplin via Route 66

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by bigken, Aug 12, 2010.

1. bigken

bigken

Thinkin' about taking the scenic Route, Thursday.
    Considering Dallas to Ok City, then east on the old Mother Road. Planning on lunch at the Rock Cafe in Stroud, Ok.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3536
    Anyone interested in joining up? Can't be in a hurry, that's for sure. :D

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Just past the 193rd street exit at Tulsa, veer to the left and take old 66 to Joplin.

A few things to see;

Soon after you exit on the north side is the Blue Whale.

At Claremore is the Will Roger's musuem and the Davis gun museum

Foyil,(sp) Worlds largest totem pole.

Chelsea, worlds fastest mailman (but he is on the salt this week) Also there is an old bridge that is a great picture oportunity. Watch closely on the east side of town, there is a sign for it but it is easily missed.

Afton, Kane's Packard museum and restored service station. Then a couple miles further is the Buffalo Ranch tourist stop. A short side trip to the Starbird museum.

Miami, Motorcycle Museum, Coleman theatre, Waylon's Ku Ku Drive In

Baxter Springs, Museum in town and then just north of town you go over the rainbow bridge.

Many other sites.

Lots of old buildings along the way.

Have fun

John

3. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

What about the "spook lights" somewhere around Joplin? anybody remember? It was a tourist trap we visited back in the `60s.

Arthur Meadows spook light museum...some kind of mysterious lights
    glowing off in the distance...It became more visible as the alcohol consumption increased!

tom

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

People still go to Hornet (south off 43 from Interstate 44) to look for the spook light. It is not as visible, I am told, as it was in years past.

John

5. tlundberg

tlundberg
    from Arma Ks

The spook light is southwest of Joplin near Quapaw Ok. oops, you are correct - it is near Hornet.. My wife said so -- so it has got to be true - right!!!!:eek:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. billygoat67

billygoat67

you forgot the route 66 drive in theatre in carthage mo. what a great original drive inn, went there in 08 before the HAMB drags. brought back alot of memories of our old local drive inn that closed many years ago.
    great job to the owners for taking care of a real gem.theyr getting scarce.

7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I might be up for it Ken. What time and where do you want to meet?

Tim

8. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi BigKen,
    Will be doing the same route on Thursday..OKC to Joplin.. Might want to look at this website on Route 66.. http://www.theroadwanderer.net/66Oklahoma/route66OK.htm On the map, click on OKC and all the towns between there and Joplin.. This website is a great resource for anyone doing anywhere on Route 66..

Also in Galena,KS. see this: http://www.kansastravel.org/4womenontheroute.htm "TOWMATER"

Will be in an old Mazda Protege with NM BOY SCOUT 100th Anniversary plates... Next year, the street rod comes to Joplin... :)Have a great trip...duane (NM Sandrail)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  9. Wish we were going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bigken

bigken

Tim - I'll call ya today.

11. bigken

bigken

Tim (Junior Stock) and I will be pullin' outta the Braums in Gainsville, Tx. at 7:30a.m. for Ok. City (+/-), find the Mother Road, and point it east. Holler if ya care to join us.

12. bigken

bigken

Duane, you mean this truck? :)

[​IMG]

13. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi BigKen,
    Yep... CARS was one super movie, that included a lot of the special features of Route 66, such as the Conoco Station @ Shamrock, Texas (will pass right by it again on Thursday) and the Cadillac Ranch out at Bushland, Texas. Can't wait for the sequel!

Will be stopping at Stroud's Rock Cafe myself....but can't tell what time as I have a lot of miles to do before getting off at El Reno to head east on 66. If going to the Swap Meet in Springfield, there is a great Route 66 Cafe there, and I will be eating there again on Friday morning.. I donated a NM license plate and a Route 66 hot rod metal sign to them last trip..which went on the wall, before my breakfast was ready...:)

Have a GREAT trip!... Will be staying at the HI for 3 nights..duane

14. Construction in both lanes on the turnpike beween Bristow and Kellyville. Backs up bad at times. Yet another excellent reason to stay on old 66...FYI

15. tlundberg

tlundberg
    from Arma Ks

If you get a chance check out "Red Oak II" just east of Carthage which is about 7 miles east of the HI. It is not on your route per se but it is pretty cool. An old guy bought houses, barns, gas stations, jail cell, etc over the years and made his own little town of his childhood. lots of neat old cars and photo ops there. There is also a working diner there most months in the year. worth a visit.

Lundo

16. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi BigKen,
    Am in at the HI in Joplin now.. Got off at El Reno, west of OKC for Route 66.. Was a fun drive, in total.. Got lost in OKC and Tulsa for a few miles, but refound it.. Stopped and shot a few photos..attached..Acadia Round Barn, Rock Cafe in Stroud at 3pm..Service SUCKED!, Blue Whale, Packard Museum..Drive In..and a few others.. Hope you made it in ok...duane

Attached Files: