Register now to get rid of these ads!

Daily Driver insurance plans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slickmanart, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Slickmanart

Slickmanart
    from Michigan

I'm gettin my 55 Chev outta storage this weekend and bringin' her back here to Michigan (currently still in Canada where I moved from). Anybody know of any insurance plans for usage as a daily driver? I havent had any luck as of yet.

2. I use Haggerty. I have an "agreed value" policy that's good year round, and I run normal plates on it. Costs about a dollar a day. Hey, Steve, what part of Michigan?

3. mj40's

mj40's

Most collector insurance policies have a mileage limit on them. Most don't like daily drivers. You might not want to mention that when applying for coverage. Grundy is another good one and usually cheaper than the Haggerty.

4. pitman

pitman

Have recently rec'd a good quote from Grundy.

I didn't appreciate Progressive's use of poor business practices,
    (more than one has the patience to read!)
    and "settled" after getting the state's Insurance commision involved,
    to end up short of the car's blue book value by ~$1500. On a plain jane
    VW.

5. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

ANPAC Chrome has the most liberal coverage for usage. Haggerty strongly discourages you taking your car to work. Sneed also has a 9-5 option for their insurance plans which lets you drive it to work twice a week or something like that.

I went with ANPAC chrome. I felt they offered the best combination of price and usage.

6. Slickmanart

Slickmanart
    from Michigan

Looks like Hagerty is the way to go. ANPAC doesn't offer Michigan policies, and Grundy was just too discouraging. Plus, they're located right here in MI.
    Thanks for the advice fellas.

7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I quoted both, and Grundy was half of what Haggerty costs, however I told them both that I drive my car to work, take the kids to shcool, karate, and go to the store, and Grundy said they would not cover anything while doing so....
    Unlimted miles for show/cruise/parade or similar does not equal unlimited use.

Search Grundy for the thread, and I repated the above info to the girl from Grundy and she said i would not be covered.
    Do not lie to the ins co just to get coverage, because they can deny you payment if they deem it was not used they way they insured it.

8. panic

panic

You might not want to mention that when applying for coverage

That's a good idea if you never have an accident.
    If this happens and results in a serious injury or death it's worth their money and trouble to send investigators to your neighbors, your job, your local train station, your bowling alley to find out whether you use the car frequently. If you still have and drive the car, they'll sit down the block with the video camera for a few weeks.
    A million dollars covers a lot of surveillance time. For them to win it's only got to cost less, but not much less.
    If yes, they simply send you a note: "you are not covered for the accident on XX, 200X due to violation of the agreed terms of use".

BTW: the usual bankruptcy laws ("Let them sue me - they can't get what I don't have!") don't apply in some of these cases. Bankruptcy doesn't discharge debts due to personal injury verdicts, criminal penalties, or tax liens - yes, they get your house and your pension. If you kill someone, you'll be broke for the rest of your life.

9. HotRod33

HotRod33

I insure my daily driver hotrod with Farmers Group. I use my same agent for it as my other cars. Cost about as much as a late model for insurance but I have had my son get involed in an accident with it and everything was handled and taken care of with no problems.. Why spend untold thousands of dollars on your hotrod and then try to just get by with the insurance...... my .002 cents........

10. Because when it comes time to collect when a loss occurs, it's a serious PITA to do anything! My '70 F250 daily driver was completely destroyed in an F-4 tornado five years ago. I had two separate apprasals done on the truck, before the tornado, and it was appraised by two appraisers at $6,800 and $7,250, so that is pretty good documentation, right? It was my Dad's truck, and he had given me receipts on work he had done on it. USAA agreed to insure it for $7,000 agreed value. The insurance adjuster from USAA said "We can't pay this amount, there has been a color change on the truck and it had A/C in it from the factory and it's gone now!" First off, the only place you could see the original blue (it was maroon then) was very low on the firewall. The cab, bed, everything was maroon! Secondly, the truck NEVER, ever had A/C at anytime in its life! So, they "offered" me a whopping $2,445.00 for the truck. Long story short, we went to the State Insurance Commission for binding arbitration. I had stacks of documentation in my favor! The insurance puke had very spotty and wrong valuation and information. I ended up with only $4,200. I also dropped the assholes at USAA a little letter and dropped THEM.

"Agreed value" doesn't mean shit with the regular insurance companies. The same storm took out four of my old cars, and Haggerty was right there, and I had the $$$ from them in two days. USAA took four MONTHS. Farmers, Allstate, GEICO, USAA, and all the rest are happy to take your money adn will lie any way they car to get your business. And, having something in writing - don't mean shit.

11. How about J.C. Taylor
    just my 3 cents

12. HotRod33

HotRod33

[ patrick66
    "Agreed value" doesn't mean shit with the regular insurance companies. The same storm took out four of my old cars, and Haggerty was right there, and I had the $$$ from them in two days. USAA took four MONTHS. Farmers, Allstate, GEICO, USAA, and all the rest are happy to take your money adn will lie any way they car to get your business. And, having something in writing - don't mean shit.[/quote] I have mine insured for a stated amount . I have an apprasial that the insurance company has a copy of . It is insured for a stated amount and if it is a total loss that is what I am paid. I have had a claim and been paid before for a loss.....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  13. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Another vote for Haggerty and them being good to me.

14. farley5150

farley5150

After looking at several of these threads, I am pretty sure I know the answer, but is there any company that will insure an old hot rodded car/truck as a daily driver?
    Most insurers state that you and your spouse both have to have modern daily drivers in order to be covered.

While my wife will keep a modern car, I want to be able to use an old car as my sole transportation, unlimited.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I've always insured my old cars as cars on my regular insurance policy. Liability, Personal Injury Protection, and Uninsured Motorist Coverage does the job.

16. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

ERIE Insurance near me has an agreed value policy that I use for 3 of my old trucks. I tow, haul, and WORK all of my old trucks and none of the collector car policies would tolerate that.

I do have a collector policy on one of my old trucks that is fully restored and that I don't drive much.

The prices are decent too.......those 4 vehicles and my wifes car cost me a tad over a grand a year to insure.

17. boldventure

boldventure

O.K., I have a fire extinguisher handy (for when this gets flamed), here goes the dumb question/comment.
    What does daily driver mean to You?
    To some it's the car you drive to do everything.
    To some it's the "toy car" you drive often, but it's not the car you usually drive to work during peak drive time and leave in a parking lot day after day.
    Most carriers are pretty plain about how they define what is and what is not covered.

18. Road Runner

Road Runner

Had regular liability car insurance for both my daily drivers for the last 14 years.
    Costs me only .80 cents per day for both rides combined, even here in CA.
    Good driver discount and no tickets or accidents ever certainly help.
    I can drive anywhere and how ever many miles I want without restrictions.

19. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I have Grundy on my '57 as a DD & for $95 a year it came with liability & 10-30-10 coverage as well as an agreed value. Hope I never need it

20. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

boldventure,

that is a good question.

To me a daily driver is what you drive everyday year round, on a sunny day or in a foot of snow. That is why I couldn't use a collector car policy for my 4x4 f-1......It is my primary vehicle, I also use it to tow lighter loads and haul our band equipment to shows every weekend...in the rain...in the snow...etc..etc..

My old f-350 4x4 sits most of the time BUT I use exclusively to tow and haul heavy loads year round...so a collector policy wouldn't work for it.

In the past years I used to have a collector car policy on my hotrod but I went over the mileage limits on it this summer, so I recently transferred the insurance over to a regular agreed value policy.

21. boldventure

boldventure

Thanks for your reply:D!

Several of the collector carriers really try to make the point that do not have mileage restrictions. (Google is your friend:p) Search collector car insurance. PM me if you want a one page list of carriers with www',s & 1-800's.
    It's a drag that these outfits can't insure your daily but their deal is based on low exposure etc.