Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dagel's street rod products?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeepSouthRick, Mar 23, 2007.

1. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Any experiences with Dagel's street rod products?
    Getting close to the point of boxing the frame on the A-Model project, and I'm considering Dagel's boxing plates, crossmember, and clutch/brake pedal combo.

Since this isn't exactly something you can swap out later, I wanted to see if anyone else had used their stuff.

2. i used it
    its nice
    also used the x menber.. it was nice, untill i z'd the front about 6 inches and had to cut the whole thing out
    tk

3. Retrorod

Retrorod

We used a set of their boxing plates on an "A" frame, they fit and worked well. They also shipped when they said they would too. I give them a 10 out of 10 rating.

4. They had a Grant Spaulding Flamethrower on ebay last week with open bids on it and they took it off the auction.

That did it for me......

5. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

Have one of their 32 style frames. TOTAL DISSAPOINTMENT! The holes on the rear spring perch were hogged out like someone took a drill and rocked it back and forth. I had to redo it. The Vega steering box mount that I paid for wasn't even on the frame. I also paid for a tranny mount. Wasn't on the frame either. I emailed them several times about the problems with the shoddy rear crossmember and the missing Vega steering mount and missing tranny mount. They gave me the runaround for close to a year and always gave me lame excuses like personnel changes and stuff like that. I'm not really one for excuses if I paid for something. They finally sent me a tranny mount which was the wrong one. I guess I paid them to have myself weld it in.

The messed up part is that I worked at a welding and fab shop at the time. I bought the frame to save time -so I thought. The guys at the shop got a good laugh over the rear spring mount holes though!

So I can only speak from my personal experience. And in my book they totally suck! An apology goes a long way and I never got one. Never got a refund for work that wasn't done to the frame either!!

6. my 31 coupe

my 31 coupe

Bought both boxing plates and x=member from Dagel's about a year ago. Let me say that at the time i really didn't know what i was doing and kinda regret spending the nearly $500.00. I'm not saying they don't sell good products. what i will say is i waisted the boxing plates and warpped my original frame due to my lack of patience weilding. I built a new frame to spec out of 2 x 4 .120 wall and dropped the x-member in. All fits and looks good, other than i need to engineer my own tranny mount/yoke, being the Dagel's won't allow for a C4. Looking back I could have bought some 16 guage and sheared it to fit for the boxing plates, using poster board to make templates, saveing $60. I could have also saved about $350.00 if i had made the X-member from scratch. If you got the money, spend it. If you got the know how and patience, fab it yourself. I found a cad program, some are free, and i am doing alot of design work on cad and then off to wood 2 x 4 for mock up. If you decide to build yourself, PM me if you need dimensions/ measurements.
    Oh yeah, when i went to Dagel's I got the impression that it was a 1 man shop according to Mr. Dagel, himself. He did employ a good group of builders at 1 time, maybe long ago, and was a featured shop on Overhaulin.
    Good luck,
    Shannon

7. lonewolf900

lonewolf900

I have used the x member on Ford Model A's and 1931 Chevy. They save a lot of time and make for a professional looking job!

8. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I would recommend Progressive Automotive in Ohio over Dagel's. Their stuff is really good and Bob is a pleasure to deal with. They're also closer to you, so less cost for shipping.

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Do you think he has finished the project in the last 8 years?????

10. I was thinking the same thing,he hasn't logged in in a while. HRP

DeepSouthRick was last seen:
    Dec 4, 2013

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  11. bchctybob

bchctybob

A few months back I installed Dagel's boxing plates and X member in a buddy's Model A frame along with a Horton's flat front crossmember. Z'd the rear 7". It all worked out great. I do have a chassis jig to work on so I can't really speak for the build-it-on-the-garage-floor method but it came out straight and square for me.
    I like the stock looking stamped X better than all the tubing versions I've seen. I will probably use their X for the '32 chassis I'll be working on next. They don't advertise it for that application but it should be doable.
    I know nothing about the company or it's other products and services but the stuff I used worked out fine.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It must be a real boring Monday in Pa to get Lonewolf900 to use up his eight post since 2008 on a thread that sat dormant since 2010 but I've had that crossmeber on my watch list on Ebay for a while and plan to use one plus their boxing plates on my 31.