Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Dad's 1950 Ford Shoebox - First Drive

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by daddio211, Feb 4, 2014.

1. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Wow what a great story, I'm sure your pop is proud to hear the flathead, sounds great!

daddio211 likes this.
  2. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks guys, much appreciated. The car has been sitting in the garage for the last few months untouched. I fire it up every week or two just to hear those straight pipes cackle.

So much going on with my business, the wife's business, family and the T roadster we're doing I just can't find an appropriate amount of time to dedicate to the shoebox. I'll get back on her soon, I promise.

3. deto

deto

Great stuff man...

daddio211 likes this.
  4. Hey Eric, was at a show a while back and spotted this and got me thinking of you and your Dad.:cool::D JW
    [​IMG]

daddio211 likes this.
  5. skoh73

skoh73

Fantastic thread, don't know how I missed it. Will subscribe if I can figure out the "new HAMB" way. Great story, I look forward to you keeping your pop's dream going!

daddio211 likes this.
  6. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Jeremy, that '50 is bitchin'! And thanks skoh73. Near the top right corner of every thread page (from a PC) but below all of the logo stuff you can click text that says "Watch Thread". If you're doing it from the mobile app you can click the star at the top of the page.

Well, I think I've resolved to pulling the flatty and storing it for a future project when I have more patience. I'm truly SICK that this thing doesn't run well and I'm out of ideas and local guys who know much about flatties. My good pal Dave Watson pictured earlier helping me passed two years ago. The man was a flathead god. He'd be sad I'm going this route.

I know this is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way but I have a 330 horse SBC that a friend built for me several years ago and not yet fired. I'm going to try to get my shop built this winter and once I have room I think I'm going to put it in with a 200R4 trans. As many problems as this freshly built flatty has given me I'm sick of not being able to drive this car.

26 T Ford RPU and da34guy like this.
  7. Ya came to your sense's
    Now you'll be able to "Long Haul" in comfort. Remember the A/C also

daddio211 likes this.
  8. Its a good sound move and its not a final one, you can reverse it at any time if you feel you want it back that way. How many cubes is the small block? JW

daddio211 likes this.
  9. daddio211

daddio211

It's a 0.030 over 350. Has a lot of internal tricks done by a very well known performance engine builder. He's been featured in dozens of magazines and books. Lots of drag racing, Jeep and boat stuff too.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  10. daddio211

daddio211

Hey Don, you really nailed it when you told me he would have said "screw it" a long time ago. Thanks.

11. Eric, say it ain't so.:(

12. daddio211

daddio211

Afraid it is. Unless somehow I can get it running before then.

13. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

Great story Eric, loved the video, I've also put lots of money and time into flatheads with little or no luck, once had a stocker (47 Merc coupe ) that had never been apart and drove it year round for two years. I take all my builds over to the cemetery where my dad (was my best friend and mentor ) and now my younger brother are laid to rest.

daddio211 likes this.
  14. daddio211

daddio211

This engine has had a ton of money invested in it now and it seems as if it's all for nothing. I had a '41 Ford Tudor that I drove about 6000 miles around town over two years. Yeah, it had its share of issues but I could ALWAYS get it running again on the side of the road and make it home. This one's just stubborn and my dad would agree.

One day this old shoebox will make it to the cemetery and I'll do a big burnout for him.

tudorfritz and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. That's cool.:cool::cool: JW

daddio211 likes this.
  16. EBW

EBW

Sorry to hear about the Flathead, but happy to hear there is progress for the future.

daddio211 likes this.
  17. daddio211

daddio211

Progress may be soon. Looks like the shop is going to be built.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  18. COOL !!:cool::D JW

daddio211 likes this.
  19. Bertolasi

Bertolasi

Hi Eric. How is the shop coming along? I am anxious to see the swap out to your standby sbc engine. bob

daddio211 likes this.
  20. daddio211

daddio211

Hi Bob. I put the shop on hold for a little while, way too much work going on right now. The shoebox is sitting waiting for that time.

26 T Ford RPU and EBW like this.
  21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Love it ! I have taken that first ride several times myself, with similar results..
    Nothing beats a Shoe Box....still on my Bucket List...

daddio211 likes this.
  22. Eric, Leave that poor little Shoebox alone....................:D

'49 Ford Coupe and daddio211 like this.
  23. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Freakin AWESOME !!!!!!
    Can't get much better than that! Your dad is proud of you...

daddio211 likes this.
  24. Bertolasi

Bertolasi

Eric..... too much work is a good thing, especially if it refers to the business you own. Stay healthy and I'll be watching for when you start posting some car project stuff. Bob

daddio211 likes this.
  25. How's it coming? Any updates?

daddio211 likes this.
  26. daddio211

daddio211

It became a shelf in my garage. Once I get my shop built I'll tear into it again

27. I'm in the same boat, mine has become a rusty shelf as well. You'd think with being laid off the past two months I'd find time to work on it.

daddio211 likes this.
  28. daddio211

daddio211

I totally hear ya. My time right now is 110% occupied by work and family, occasionally working on my wife's roadster and coyote hunting. There aren't enough hours in the day.

29. Bertolasi

Bertolasi

Hi Eric. Just checking in. Hope all is well with you and family. Have you had any time to work on building the new shop?