Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dad is not doing well...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly, Dec 31, 2009.

1. If you don't wanna read a "downer," then by all means pass this by. I don't blame you a bit.

I've not been able to so much as lurk a lot lately, so if the rules have changed and this type of post is forbidden, then I apologize.

Dad recently was in the hospital, heart attack/pneumonia, he got out and thought he was fine...been a week to the day. This morning at 3:30 I had to rush him back to the ER...

I realize that certain procedures have to be followed, but having only been a couple weeks or so back, and this being the same thing...you'd think they would have known to incubate him. His lungs were filling with fluid fast, he was struggling to breathe, they didn't do anything but give him oxygen...he was trying to tell them he needed the tube, they just thought he was delirious and got pissed when I told them "no, he knows, this is the third time he's been there with this...and every time they've had to do it" It was a trainee.

Now, I'm all about letting someone do their job...but, I cannot keep my mouth shut when someone I love is lying there about to die...I'm no medical expert, but more than a couple of my friends are and we've discussed this stuff in depth...

So...now, he's been transferred to a better hospital (as happens with most patients who go to the local one with more than a broken leg), the doctor here was pissed because he hadn't been incubated. Yeah...doc, I tried to tell 'em...

at any rate, they're saying he isn't coming home this time. Those of you who believe in prayer (is that banned here now?), please do...

Thanks,
    Hillbilly
    aka Mark

2. thendrix

thendrix

3. vert1940

vert1940

i feel your pain...prayers sent

4. 5window

5window

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad.It's really frustrating when it appears that you know more than the attending staff,especially when they have so many procedures they have to follow-and it's a new person.

Standard procedures and the need to proceed in order may be needed because medical diagnosis is tough and lots of things look the same if you are a lay person. More likely there is a lot of procedural crap that has to be followed to CYA on the part of the hospital and it delays real medicine.

Without being political, it's hard to argue that a large problem with US medical care is the amount of work,forms,procedures,etc that have to do because everyone gets sued and no one can make an honest mistake-or just not know because living creatures are very complicated.

But, I do hope your dad can get the care he needs. Oh, and the proper term is "intubate"-that's where they use an endotracheal tube to go down his windpipe and give him oxygen. "Incubate" means they'd put him in a warming oven to keep him at a certain temperature-probably not what he needs.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009

5. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Same boat here. Its a tough time.
    Sorry to hear about your Dad... I know what your going through.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Many prayers sent ,I hope that god smiles upon him and he pulls through .

7. Thoughts and Prayers with you and your Dad....

8. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

no mark, prayer is not banned here. i want to pray with you right now. lord jesus i just want to thank you for mark and his dad. we come before you today and ask for you healling.lord i know that you are the great healer and nothing is above you. please touch him today and comfort the family during this troubling time. i just ask that you use mark to inspire others to seek you in all things great and small.we ask this in your holy name. aman

mark, if i can help in any way please let me know.

-danny
    713 899-1599 cell

9. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

I'm pulling for your Dad. Having been through the same situation, ask as many questions as you can. I have faith in health care providers but don't assume that they're always right. Sure they know more than you but you have a right to know what they're doing and why. They're busy but they should take the time to address any and all concerns you may have.

Hang in there.

10. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Prayers going your way from here. The Lord is in control and will guide the doctors to help him! We'll be prayin'

11. Yeah, the warming oven wouldn't do much good right now, man..I appreciate you clearing that up for me, seriously...thank you :)

Thank ALL of you.

12. firemancooter

firemancooter

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your dad.

13. Thank you, Danny...mom happened to read that over my shoulder...a bright spot in her morning for sure :)

Dad's faith is the only explanation that his heart doctor can think of for his having survived all this time. Two artificial knees from his rodeo days back in the 50s, the hard life he lived did a number on his heart too. A St. Jude valve...instead of the pig valve was what replaced his Aorta valve (again, i am no doctor of people...just keep sick cars running) in 1988...time and again he's baffled the doctors with his coming out of things that they gave no hope for.

They just moved him to ICU, I'm logging off and going upstairs.

again, thanks for your prayers and positive thoughts...they are very VERY much needed and appreciated.

14. Mr Neon

Mr Neon

Our family recently had the same thing happen to our dad. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance and paramedics he had a bad case of pneumonia. They cleared it up after a few days and sent him home.
    A week later I get a call from my sister and he was in the hospital ER and is not doing well she said it looks worse this time, but that it was a bad case of pneumonia. Well after a week stay he was released. They found that he needs to have all the liquids he drinks thickened. They say that the thin liquids go down his wind pipe and that is what causes the pneumonia. This all happened before Thanksgiving and he is doing well and was looking pretty good last week on Christmas Eve. He hates the thickened drinks and won't drink many of his favorites like coffee and beer.
    Mom has to keep a close eye on him as he will try and sneak a drink of water without adding the thickner.
    I hope and pray that your dad pulls through and you can spend more time with him!

Gerry

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thoughts and prayers sent

16. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Well said....Hang in there Mark.
    God Bless,
    John

17. Idlzruf

Idlzruf

I feel your pain I just went thru that with my mom prayers sent

18. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Mark, prayers for your dad's healing and comfort and strength for your family.

and amen to Danny's prayer.

posted this in the HAMB Chapel for you too......

Clay

19. falfas55

falfas55

I'm sorry for your problems with the stupid hospital. Your right, they damn sure don't do their jobs like they should.Prayers sent for your Dad,You and your Family.FALFA

20. thoughts and prayers..

21. nutajunka

nutajunka

Tell him that you love him even if it appears he can't hear you. He can.

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

The HAMB has evolved into more than a community, it is a Family, and when one of our own is hurting,.. we hurt right along with you, Your Dad and family will be on my prayer list,.....

Isaiah 40:31,
    "But they that wait upon the LORD
    shall renew their strength;
    they shall mount up with wings as Eagles
    they shall run, and not be weary;
    and they shall walk, and not faint"

23. belair

belair

Certainly praying for you all. My family came from western Arkansas; Greenwood, Mansfield, etc. A word that you may or may not need-be wary of the docs using morphine "to help him rest" - morphine also slows down respiration-not what I would think he needs right now. I am no doctor, but have made enough hospitla visits and been around enough to see it used (in my opinion) as a "poor mans' euthinasia". God bless.

24. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Prayers sent.

25. wayne jordan

wayne jordan
    from arkansas

Having been in similiar situations with my Dad my prayers are with you and your family. Prayer is what pulled Daddy through more than once. I would not want to quit using this board but if prayer is ever banned I probably would.

26. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Prayers sent, similar situation with my father-in-law. Been in the hospital for a month with an infection in his brain. Not sure how it will turn out but praying every day. Good luck and hope all turns out well for you and your family.

27. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I just lost my Mother-n-law Christmas Day. She lived with me for the past couple of years and we grew very close. I have to leave for the funeral now, but my prayers go out to you and yours.

28. PK

PK
    from Ohio

We're prayin' God's divine healing touch will strengthen your dad in the days to come.
    Blessings,
    PK

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Add my prayers to the ones already posted. May God's healing hand reach down and touch our father.

Frank

30. Thought and prayers from Montana.