Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dad Finally Gave Me His 1928 A Sport Coupe/Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strohmdl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Sport Coupe’s have always given me goose bumps stock or hot rodded.

Here's my $0.02, a dropped axle, juice brakes, '40 Ford wheels with Merc caps and black walls, lower the back (maybe put the spring behind the axle), OHV conversion on the A engine or a Model B engine (a cheap pinto or other 4 banger till you get the OHV together), keep the fenders and never under any circumstances cut the top.

Most of all, enjoy the time with your dad. I'd give all I have and 10 years off the end of my life to have another year with mine .

2. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Full fendered, dropped and BAD !!

3. 65COMET

65COMET

David;that picture of you and your Father is PRICELESS!!! I take it you found a builder for your banger,KOOL! I was really hoping one of my boys would follow my lead,OH WELL,at least they enjoy being around the older junk!!! ROY

4. The first thing you need to do is get the paperwork straightened out and up to date. You want to do this before you do any work that will add value to the car since many of the fees are based on the value of the vehicle. You will probably have a tag riveted to the door jam by the DMV instead of registering it by engine number (which I assume is now the case). This will be a benefit if you change engines later. Also if you have a modified vehicle you may find that they will hassle you more. If you start by removing the fenders and then go to DMV they may give you problems. I don't think it is legal to drive a car in the state of California without fenders unless they are under a certain weight. Talk to your insurance agent. You might not be able to insure a fenderless car. When you select a donor car you might want a newer car that will have a drivetrain with fewer miles on it. Don't start by tearing everything apart at the same time of the task will become overwhelming and you may give up on it. If you asked my advice I would leave it stock bodied and with a stock drive train except for hydraulic brakes. Good luck, you have a great place to start.

Charlie Stephens

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Charlie;I built a 23 T for a friend during 08 we got it done in time to register it in Jan.09.It has NO fenders, weighs 1840lbs., got it insured and licensed with no unusual issues.California has some newer laws concerning older cars and recreations of older cars that makes life easier,I was shocked at how easy it was! ROY.

6. strohmdl

strohmdl

I had no problem registering my '27 flathead roadster. This one should be fine. Interesting note, when my dad registered it in Hawaii he had to stamp a VIN on the frame. He used his initials, date (1966), HON (Honolulu) as the VIN. That was the same VIN that it was registered under in California. Hopefully, they will re-issue the same black plates that I have. If not, I'll order custom plates with the same numbers & letters and slap the black ones on (put the white ones in the drawer). Always have to have a back up plan with the CA DMV.

The auto club had no issue insuring the '27 and were incredible when I had a claim. The roadster caught fire in the barn. My wife put it out with a garden hose and saved cars, boat & motorcycle. I love that woman!

7. moses

moses

oh hell ya that will make it go like hell...jeffrey

8. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

My 2 cents. Keep it full fendered, sport coupe by all means. If the 63 chevy is in good shape, don't strip it for parts. If anything sell it for build money. Both it and the truck should be vehicles in demand. By your drivetrain from a wrecked vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

9. hemifarris

hemifarris

Sport coupes have a 'fixed' top. There's no function to them.

10. strohmdl

strohmdl

11. Weasel

Weasel

Happy times - way to go.

The sound reminds me of my '28 Special coupe - I miss that car.

12. angeli rebeli

angeli rebeli

Welcome to the Sport coupe club, We are just tying up our 29SC project which was a father son project as well. Great history on your car. I recommend if you keep the banger, spend the money on an overdrive, makes the car much more fun to drive.

Attached Files:

13. strohmdl

strohmdl

The Miller Head "C" banger gets dropped off at Taylor Engines tomorrow. I figure we'll leave the "A" banger in this summer and then by next winter I should have my '39 trans and juice brakes all gathered and dialed in so that we can strip her down.

14. Amazing support for Sport Coupes! I picked up a body, but the doors were already cut. Patch panels first, y-block/t-5 for power. I've read the "coupester" thread and see the for/against. May be awhile until it gets coupe doors and a sc roof, still thinking of a 3" cut to the w/s.
    Anyone have specs/plans to build the bows and other wood? Pre-cut is $$.
    RB

15. 65COMET

65COMET

David;that is TOO KOOL!!!! What a great moment,you,your Father and your son,WOW!!!! Oh yea,and the "A"! ROY

16. strohmdl

strohmdl

So here is the update. Miller B has been gone through and run up at Taylor. Shane was kind enough to sell me a '32 trans which has been completely rebuilt and modified by Al Zannino, he also parted with a Borg Warner TT overdrive which he had rebuilt. Tom Endy rebuilt the rear end, which was in great shape and mostly original. Chassis is stripped, primed & painted. Time to start piecing it together, let the fun begin.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. strohmdl

strohmdl

Engine in.

Attached Files:

Dannerr likes this.
  18. Thanks for the eye candy in the morning. That pic is awesome! I'll be watching this go together. What a cool story!

-Shiny

19. 65COMET

65COMET

David;that is good news! Good Luck with the project!! ROY.

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a great start!!---Should be a good driver!---Please don't call the sports coupe a ROADSTER!---There is a BIG difference!!---------Don

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

22. GARY?

GARY?

You are not messin' around! Cool project.

23. 36Delux

36Delux

Don't cut it up! The Sport Coupe has a nice body as it is. I had a '30 Sport Coupe and made it into a nice rod. Kept the top, made new wood bows and did the top in black, complete with landau irons. Not many around, enjoy being unique.

24. strohmdl

strohmdl

Definitely not a roadster, but I do still have the original doors and frames that my dad's buddy chopped back in the 60's...hence the ability to easily swap to a roadster-ish type of topless body.
    Trans, overdrive/torque tube and rear end are in.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  25. strohmdl

strohmdl

First road test yesterday. Ran out nicely, but it loads up unless you stab the thing. Two 97s might be a little much. I'll try to rejet them first, but may end up going to 81s. Only thing left is to hook up the overdrive. Concluded the night at Santa Paula Cruise Night with a pint at the pub. A good Friday night.

Attached Files:

26. kisam

kisam

Really turned out nice! You have been busy. I'll bet your Dad is proud!

27. 65COMET

65COMET

David;that is great,you are making quick work of the "A"!!!! Check your fuel pressure,it may be too high,about 3 pounds is all you need. ROY.

28. strohmdl

strohmdl

Roy: I kept the gravity feed, so pressure isn't the issue. I found a guy who knows Strombergs, so I'm going to rejet per his specsand swap power valves. Hopefully that will take care of it.

29. First time I've seen this thread. Great project. Looks like a blast.
    A "3 generation hot rod". That's even cooler. My dad was not even remotely a car guy.
    Like that you are running the souped up banger.
    Best of wishes.

30. strohmdl

strohmdl

Strombergs still coughed and wheezed with the new jets, so I added an inline 6v low pressure pump...viola! Pulls hard through the entire RPM range. Tested the overdrive last Sunday too, worked great for a few engage/disengagements, then the solenoid got stuck with OD engaged. Pulled the solenoid out in the Vons parking lot, and have a new (old) one on the way. Small kinks getting worked out now, good times.