Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dad-Burn long tube header install..Grrrrrrr!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 6sally6, Oct 29, 2019.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

After 20+ years its time to replace the long tube headers on my O/T hot rod (SBF). Doing a trial fit and...as usual the 'inside' turn of the headers are "cutting-my-fat-ass"!
    NOT stainless/ceramic just plain old painted so I don't mind(not really) dimpling the primary pipes.......as a last resort.
    I'm using the header bolts with the 7/16" head so that is not the problem. Thought about installing studs and then run a nut up but the nutz too big!
    How have you guys handled it?
    6sally6

2. sdroadster

sdroadster

I use header bolts with a 5/16 head. Summit has them

Black_Sheep and Johnny Gee like this.
  3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Allen head (socket head cap screw).

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel your pain. Back in 1970 when I thought I knew everything about all things automotive I put a set of headers in my '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon. I painted them up nice and pretty with VHT white paint and spent then next day and 1/2 trying to wedge them in without mucking up the paint. After jacking up the engine and prying it from side to side with a long bar I finally got them installed but not before leaving greasy hand prints all over the headers. As soon as I fired up the newly built 289 to break in the cam what was left of the white paint burned off. I know this doesn't help with your problem but hopefully things will go better for you knowing others have had bigger problems with SBF headers.

5. They sell header stud kits with undersized headed nuts.
    Our o/t race car has the factory studs..Much easier deal. You just hang the gasket on there, and then reach under and start the hard to get to nuts, and spin them up by hand , and then do the easy ones.
    I usually snug the top ones and let the header weight help me finish the bottom ones, on our deal.
    ...And be thankful you don't have a Pontiac V8.

6. squirrel

squirrel

dimpling the tubes would be my first resort, not last.

Jibs likes this.
  7. Can you get a smaller size nut and drill/tap the larger thread in it?