Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cylinder Sleeve Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colinsmithson, Apr 14, 2015.

1. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Hi guys I have V8 flatty 59A that has had some thin wall sleeves fitted 1 of the sleeves has dropped because they were fitted without a step
    I need to remove the sleeves and fit some thick wall sleeves with a step
    What is the best way to remove the old sleeve ??

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I had an fe with the same problem.....the machine shop bored it away.....

3. Check Van Pelts web site..maybe they will show how or call them. They are the most helpfull guys I know and are very polite.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think the first step was consulting a competent machine shop and see what they say. You might be able to pack it with dry ice and then push it out from the bottom but I would be worried about damaging the block with a home remedy more than worrying about the cost of the machine shop.

Unless you own a boring bar you will have to have the block rebored with a step in place to be able to install the new sleeves anyhow.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Thanks just looking for the best advise so I can ask the right questions and then chose who and how it gets done
    1 shop wants to run a bead of weld and shrink it which sounds ok but not sure I like that idea

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it was a motorcycle the way they remove a sleeve is to heat the cylinder in the oven or on a hot plate then shove a wet sponge in. This shrinks the sleeve enough to push it out. It sounds like yours wasn't in too tight to begin with. Maybe you can rig up an oven by stacking bricks around the block covering it with a sheet of steel and some fibreglass insulation and putting a gas burner under it.

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Welding it out will work fine.
    Otherwise the boring bar is offset a bit and one side of the sleeve is bored till the sleeve loosens up and will fall out.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  8. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Thanks very much guys
    will let you know how it turns out

9. sdsmith33

sdsmith33
    from kansas

Like Pete1 said run a couple of beads but not too hot up the sleeve. You want just enough to shrink it but not burn through. You are boring it for thicker sleeve so you probably can afford a little mistake in this department.
    D Smith

10. have the guy that is installing new sleeve remove old one!

11. FYI- K.R. Wilson made a Cylinder Sleeve Kit to Remove or install, it came in a Wooden Box. I purchased one Years ago, for about $125.00 Shipped to my Door. I'd check eBay as they show up listed all the Time! Also, Google KR Wilson Cylinder Sleeve Kit Pictures. An You can See the Item & Contents of the Kit. Regards BigDTexasKid

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016