Register now to get rid of these ads!

cutting windshields

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56oldsDarrin, May 12, 2009.

1. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

When I was a new paint guy at a parts store in Idaho,the old paint guy told me that you could cut a windshield with a sandblaster.
    They would tape most of the glass up,then stick inner tube right up against the marked line(with 3M spray adhesive)on both sides.
    the sand would cut work thru the glass,but bounce off the rubber.
    once they got to the plastic laminate they just cut it with a razor blade.
    I 've never tried it, but a glass guy I know thought it sounded brilliant.
    has anyone else ever seen this done?

2. hemi

hemi

If you really have any questions about cutting glass, PM Oz from Oz Kustoms.. he does all his own stuff. The sandblast method works, so does trimming it down slowly with grinding discs or a big belt sander. The last method is how the glass shop trimmed one down for me....

3. RoadkillCustoms

RoadkillCustoms
    from Mesa, AZ

I did a trim down myself much like hemi mentioned -- grinding disks and a belt sander. I used grinding disks that were made for tile and stone. They worked thru the glass pretty quickly -- I had roughly an inch and 3/4 to remove and it took a couple of hours. I finished with a belt sander to even out things a bit, and the put a edge on things with wet/dry paper and water. I first tried with the glass laying flat, but found that clamping it upright was a much better situation. I used one of those black and decker clamping work tables and some old tire scraps to pad the glass and absorb some of the vibration. I also found I needed to hold the table in place with some sandbags. Anyway, after a couple hours I had what I wanted and it cost me only the time and about $25.00 in disks and paper. With all that said, if I do it again, I will try a diamond wheel, also intended for tile and stone, but able to cut the glass with ease. I figured I would do a rough cut leaving 1/4 inch or so and the tighten up the trim with the grinder and sander.

4. brewsir

brewsir

I have had great luck with sandblasting...never tried the inner tube...just 3 layers of duct tape at the edge you want to keep. Then get the edges polished at a glass shop when you are done.

5. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Also guys are using waterjets.

B

6. eddieb

eddieb
    from Sharon SC

they make a material for this purpose. it's called "resist". rubber material with peel off backing that has adhesive underneath. cheap and available at any sign maker or a maker of grave markers.(tombstones)