Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects CUTTING UP A 54 STUDEBAKER PICK-UP.....OH YEAH!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cgc1958, Nov 2, 2015.

1. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Ya we saw that earlier,Fantastic work there cgc,Ill be watching.

2. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Thanks! Neither, we TIG our panels.
    Thanks!
    Thanks!

3. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Beautiful work.

4. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

looking really good!

5. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Thank you!
    Thanks!
    Here are some pics of the kustom running boards made from scratch prior to extending the rear fenders. (Excuse the unfinished bed side repairs & the stance being too high): IMG_8065.JPG IMG_6919.JPG IMG_6891.JPG IMG_6893.jpg IMG_8085.jpg IMG_6897.jpg IMG_6898.jpg IMG_6902.jpg IMG_6928.jpg IMG_6922.JPG IMG_6931.jpg

6. I was with it until now. The running boards don't do it for me. The lack of running boards on the 2R Studes was a styling coup. These make the truck look heavy and ordinary.
    Just my 2 cents worth

7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I like the running boards since they are tight and almost out of sight. In general I like running boards because they can provide some protection from the road grit. Just my 2 cents and one more review and you will almost have a nickel.

bengeltiger likes this.
  8. 46stude

46stude

I was with you 'til the running boards, as well. In my opinion, they killed the sleek look of all the work that's been done thus far. But regardless, that's some nice metalwork.

LeoH likes this.
  9. This is coming out killer! Its good to see somebody work through all the little eye sores that these Studebaker trucks had and make it look so smooth and sexy. It is looking great!

10. studeynut

studeynut

Nice boards, but they kill the sleek looks of the truck. Maybe just a step behind the cab, but not full length. Love everything else

LeoH likes this.
  11. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

It's not for everyone. It's funny you say "heavy" since our intent is to ground it a bit. So you are dead on in your perception of it looking heavy.
    Thanks, every penny counts!
    Yeah, I think we are swimming up stream on this one. Stock they seem to have this almost "pro street" look that we are not fans of. We wanted to bring in running boards to tie in the radius of the bed & we are extending the rear fenders to make it look less "pro street". But I get that most people are not crazy about adding running boards. Thanks for the compliment on the metal work!
    Thanks, that is our intent!
    Once again, not everyone is going to like it. Glad you like everything else.

12. Awesome project ..and outstanding work done on a neat little pickup! Since we are all adding 2 cents worth (less in this case due to the Canadian currency :rolleyes:), I would much prefer to see the "body roll" at the bottom of the door carried through to the rear fender (bed side too) - rather than the addition of running boards. Just wanted to give you a more labour intensive option... :p :D

Dave

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    LeoH likes this.
  13. To start with looks pretty good from where I sit.

Now it is a little late in the project to bring this up but those old Stude pickups are the perfect candidate for a mild section job.

skatermann likes this.
  14. I've modified verde742's nice pickup picture to show what I meant...
    verde742_StudeMod.jpg

Dave

catdad49, exterminator and verde742 like this.
  15. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Just unfrigginbelievable work.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Tracey.Looking good young lady.I`m just an old Studeholic.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. 3spd

3spd

I'll come out and say I really like the running boards! I think big fendered trucks need them to tie everything together, especially how you straightened out the leading edge. Without it the rear fenders look like an afterthought, just glued on to cover the tire. Looking forward to watching your vision come together. I can't stand the bed on that red truck that keeps getting posted......

Ryland

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I like the running boards and the truck.

Pat

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm liking the boards, too. I always thought they looked naked between the fenders, the boards tie the front and back together. I also think I would have ran the bead on up to the front, one or two of them.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I personally love the running boards and the three beads in that location tie in the three beads on the front bed panel and the sets of three beads on the tailgate and taillight panel. I am partial to this truck though.....lol. I think all the comments are great even the ones that don't like something because at the end of the day I want people to really look at the truck and appreciate the work. The one thing we can all agree upon is the quality of metalwork is outstanding.

21. Nice work. Not just the quality, but the vision.

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

How are you going to be able to turn a corner?

23. JLeather

JLeather

Personally I dig the running boards. Do you have any radical plans for the back of the rear fenders?

24. Wow! Great metal work!

25. taildragger1957

taildragger1957

Killer work as always. Cant wait to see where else he goes with it

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is some nice work you are turning out on that truck. Keep us posted on the progress on it.

27. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Another tweak Stude customizers have done is to swap the rear fenders and the difference in the look with the fenders flipped has been admired by some. While you're at this point, it's something to contemplate if you're curious.

28. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Nothing wrong with your taillight choice. I think the 1952 taillight shape might have worked as well.

29. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Check out the running Photoshop thread on HAMB. There's a red Stude truck with this request done. It's a subtle difference. Possibly 6-8 pages back? Big Red truck though, couldn't miss the image.

30. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Thanks! Everyone has their preferences. I would prefer to see someone buy that fricken red truck already so we don't have to keep seeing it pop up on this thread. But hey that's just my preference. ;) ....and i have no idea what that middle pedal is for!!
    Thanks! appreciate it!
    Thanks! Safety third that's my motto!;)
    Thanks Ryland! I hear you.
    Thanks Pat!
    Thanks! We made the beads match the interior beads.
    Thanks Hugh! Are you sure you don't want to buy the red one that keeps getting posted? They seem ready to sell!;)
    Thanks!
    Thanks! Nothing for the back but I'll post pics. of the front of the rear fenders that are being extended.
    Thanks!
    Thanks!
    Thank you!
    Thanks
    Please someone buy the red truck already!o_O;) It's hijacking this thread. This is hilarious! IMG_8753.JPG Rear fender pic:

LeoH likes this.