Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cutting the imput shaft on a T-5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daleeric, Jul 1, 2012.

1. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

I am installing a T-5 transmission to a 1940 flathead with a Speedway adapter. It appears that I will have to cut the imput shaft about a 1/4" shorter. Anyone been there? Advise?

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

In the installation instructions for that conversion, I read, that's sometimes necessary. Break out the cutting wheel.

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

If it's an S10 T5 they usually have to have the shaft pilot nose and bearing retainer shortened. Also, make sure you've got enough spline length to allow the disk to move back enough away from the flywheel. Sometimes you have to shorten the disk hub or relieve the shaft splines. Much has been written on the subject. Do a search here for more opinions.

Bob

4. tommy v

tommy v

yup, i cut mine when i put a t5 in my 55 chevy

5. wisdonm

wisdonm

Use a cut off wheel. Either continuously spray the shaft with water while cutting or at least wrap the shaft in a wet rag.

6. 40grit

40grit

I am puzzled as to why you would need to. I installed one on my 36 Ford behind a 51 Merc Flathead but did not need to cut it. Just be sure to measure 3 times. You can only cut once.

John L

7. bobscogin

bobscogin

Maybe yours wasn't an S10 T5? The F body T5 has the "traditional" Saginaw/BW/Muncie input shaft length. Doesn't require mods.

Bob

8. gerry miller

gerry miller

I put one in a 1964 chev pick up 6cylinder and had to cut exactly 5/8" . I would check with the ones that have done it on your conversion. It maybe shorter with adapters.

9. Early flathead cranks are flat on the end so the input shaft can bottom out against it. My 8ba crank has a hollow space behind the pilot bushing so no need to trim the input shaft. That's my theory anyway...

10. 40grit

40grit

Interesting. Mine was supposed to be out of an 89 s10. It did have the shifter in the forward location. Looking at other posts here I see it is not uncommon to have to cut it though. That is what makes the forums interesting. There is always someone who knows more than You do. Sometimes it is better to talk less and listen more.........LOL

John

11. 40grit

40grit

I think you may be right RMR. As I remember it when I measured I did find I had to install the adapter sleeve a little back from the end of the shaft which means it was 1/4 inch longer than it needed to be but just did not bottom out.

John L

12. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

I should have said it is a 92 S-10 T-5 with a stock imput shaft. The measurement from the transmission housing to the end of the imput shaft is +-7", and the distance from the bearing recess to the bellhousing plus the adapter depth is +-6 3/4"

13. James Curl

James Curl

The S-10 T-5 came in two different mounting bolt patterns, Chevy and Ford. I have both, the Ford pattern has a Ford input shaft and the Chevy has the 1.00" 14 spline shaft that is in its own world that requires a hard to find 10" diameter clutch disc. You can find larger and smaller but the 10" is harder to find around here if you do not know the specific year and model of vehicle that it came in.

14. bobscogin

bobscogin

That makes sense. The length of the "traditional" Saginaw/Muncie/BW GM input shaft length is about 6 5/8" so that validates your 6 3/4" depth measurement.

Bob

15. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

A friend of mine told me just last night he had to take an 1/8" of of his, no big deal.

16. 41fastback

41fastback

I have the same setup. No cutting.

17. studedudeus

studedudeus

Not to hijack the thread, but I gotta know; Tommy V, Why did you put a flathead in your 55 chevy? What kind?

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.