Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cutting progressive-wound springs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Would it be even a remotely good idea to cut progressive-wound springs? My '57 Studebaker has them, and I would like to get it a little closer to the ground. I was going to go to air-ride, but I don't see the point of all the expense anymore. Should I just get some standard-wind springs from a different year car? Are there any better alternatives to cutting the springs? I searched the forum, and I didn't find alot of info about general lowering. I saw something about spring pockets, anyone have more info about this? Does it ride better than a cut spring?

2. You can cut the springs, use a cut-off wheel or a few sawzall blades. Do not heat the springs.

As to your question on the variable rate springs, it would probably be best to cut off the low-rate end, because once you lower it, you need a little stiffer rate to prevent bottoming out. However, the spring rate will increase no matter which end you cut off.

There are a lot of people that have cut springs, nothing wrong with them if done properly. The price of cut springs is right too. Just remember it is a lot easier to cut more off than to put it back on [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]