Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cutting chrome parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Apachegail, Dec 27, 2014.

1. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Does anyone have any advice on cutting chrome parts? I have a chrome tail light with two separate lights separated by a bar. I mean to cut it in half and use one light on each side. I want to do it without causing the chrome on either sides to flake off or leave jagged edges. I really don't want to have to re-chrome.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

2. squirrel

squirrel

Chrome is the plating on the surface...but what is the part made of? Zinc (pot metal)? Brass? Steel? Aluminum?

3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks Jim,
    Not really sure but it is very soft and bends really easily. This is what I am cutting: ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419745452.963725.jpg
    There is a small section on the bottom that is busted and the chrome peeled off. It is greyish so I am thinking maybe pot metal.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Could be aluminum or pot metal. I would probably cut it with a hack saw, then file and sand the cut edges smooth. The chrome should not peel off if you're careful and lucky...but you never know until you try.

5. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

'60 Pontiac. If you can find a set, the station wagon lights are similar and are already separated:
    [​IMG]

6. khead47

khead47

I worked in a couple of material testing Labs for over 20 years preparing test samples. We were told that when cutting chrome parts to wear a mask because of some hexaclorasomething in the chrome! I never did ang I am still sorta healthy. Just sayin.

7. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Cut it a little long, sand it down to size then epoxy the area so water does not lift the chrome later in years.

8. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks Jim I will give it a shot!

Thanks Chrisb but those things are tough to get a matching set. Getting a set was my original plan but I haven't been able to find them.

Thanks Khead will be using a mask.

Thanks xpletive will definitely give that a shot.

9. I would add use masking tape over the area your cutting to help keep the chrome from lifting at the edge of the cut

10. squirrel

squirrel

I'm on the fence about putting tape on it first...it might cause the chrome to lift as you remove the tape.

11. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Hey xpletiv what type of epoxy? Paint? glue?