Register now to get rid of these ads!

cutting a windshiels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prost34, May 2, 2009.

1. prost34

prost34

Anyone have any luck cutting a windsheild for a chop top ? (without going thru 3 or 4 of them of course),any good ways of doing it ?,need to wrap up one of many unfinished projects i have,,,,,,,,one glass guy told me to scribe the glass till i get thru to the center and pour alchohol in the groove and light it on fire,,if so how do you scribe a curved piece of glass with out going all over the place,,,,,,,,,thanks

Attached Files:

2. whamoman

whamoman
    from USA

You really need to find a pro in your area that will do it. Even the pros sometimes go through two or three... but I think you have a much better chance than trying to do it yourself.... just my 2 cents

3. Even the guys that know what they are doing and have done it many times sometimes go through a few before they get a good one. Best bet is to find a pro .

4. quadcamiron

quadcamiron

Ive heard the alchohol trick but never tried it myself. Id look at how expensive and available a "new" piece of glas is. If its something you can get anywhere for cheap, Id have a go at it! If its something odd ball Id get help.

5. that a easy windsield to cut. you will have more problems withh the curved side windows.

6. 29ron

29ron

Anybody know of a glass pro or shop in the san fernando valley CA?

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've done two by masking off the windshield with duct tape at the cut line, both sides, and sandblasting the cut. You must completely mask off the glass BTW. It's surprisingly fast. Then, cut the plastic core with a razor or utility knife, dress the edge with 80gr. on a DA. Done. I learned this trick from a Memorial engraver, who told me that's how he cuts stone, using a rubber mask, and that glass would be the same. And after a glass shop broke the windshield for my '56 Caddy 'vert, chopped 4". It made a nice pattern for the windshield frame tho...

You CANNOT cut tempered, curved side glass. It will shatter the instant the surface is nicked. To cut curved side glass, find a windshield that has the same compound curve, and cut the piece you need from it. I haven't done THAT part, but supposedly that's how it's done.

8. unkamort

unkamort

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

This is the only way to do it, after mucho experimenting!

10. I cut 90% with a glass cutter with 95% success rate. but I agree that for the do it yourself guys (which is 90% of us) sand is the safest way. I've never tried it yet. 45 years in the glass business, but I intend to one day.,,,,,,,,,,,Jim

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Have you done a search here, and online about this? Lots of info posted. Why are you spending time chopping the roof on that late model project anyway?

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Maybe he likes it...:rolleyes: Why would anyone waste their time on an old Ford?:D

13. prost34

prost34

I ended up with this truck as a trade deal,my trade was free,so this truck cost me nothing,full air ride that lays the frame on the ground,boom boom stereo and tv,s in the truck,all that low rider truck stuff exept for the steel wheels with wide whites ,but it drove me nuts having a huge top that was not porportioned to the body,not to mention everyone told me it cant be done,,,not to mention in my opinion peaple ask are you a ford guy or a chevy guy?,or do you like muscle cars or hot rods?,i like them all,they are like woman,each car to me has its own style,shape,curve and attitude,a merc is a merc,a rod is a rod and muscle cars have there own flare,i can apreachiate them all,,,not! counting the newer cars,i have to read the emblems to figure them out and i own a bodyshop!!