Register now to get rid of these ads!

cutting a fan but keeping it balanced

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EAJ-400, Jun 5, 2012.

1. EAJ-400

EAJ-400
    from Buffalo

I have a model T with a nailhead in it. When I bought the car it had a lame summit fan that doesn't look right. I found a small GM fan off of a chevy two. The bolt pattern is larger so I cant bolt it on my water pump. Is there a trick to cutting slots in them but keeping them balanced (using a lawn mower blade balancer or some thing)?

2. Milling machine with a DRO.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Slotting the holes just enough to make fit won't cause a balance problem as the material removed is so close to center and will be of pretty equal amount if you do a neat job....

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post a pic of fan removed & one want to install. the center hole needs to be same as nub on center of water pump. can use shim if a little too big. make a cardboard copy of water pump holes and transfer to fan. have enough blades to pull enough air for cooling?

5. I actually have an old tool for balancing fans
    It would be simple to duplicate. I'll take a picture when I get to the shop. Its one of those odd tools that I keep with my radiator fin combs to straighten radiator fins lol

6. Fenders

Fenders

Can you just re-drill the holes to the new pattern?

7. Ha I got a radiator fin comb. I always use my pocket knife but I got a radiator fin comb too.

If the fan were mine I would throw it on a rotary table on a milling machine and cut the same amount from each hole. That won't effect your balance it is cutting the blades off that effects your balance.

8. Just put an electric fan...wait that would be lame!

9. EAJ-400

EAJ-400
    from Buffalo

Yea electric fan's are not a option. I made a template and will drill holes for the bolts. The hole in the center fits fine. until I do that, last night I went to plan B ... spray painted the gay one flat black.

10. fordor41

fordor41

I have a Ford fan blade on my SBF that was too large, Cut a blade tip off, traced that piece on remaining blades. Has been like that for 18 yrs or so with no problems

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have cut down many fans and still using most of them.

12. Yep ^^^. It aint rocket science. Measure precisely and cut the blades the same. I ran the 4 blade Ford fans on my dirt car for years with cut blades >>>>.