Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cut my finger off today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5wbomber, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky77

Lucky77

Damn! I've never heard of somebody being in such good spirits after losing an appendage. A buddy of mine used to work at a steam shovel company with a lot of wacked out individuals. One day this guy says "I don't feel like working for a few months" and he does the same thing you did, only it was a pinky and he did it on purpous!!!! Here's to a speedy recovey Jordan.

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I can feel for ya dude!. lost the entire bottom side of my right pinky finger in an "industrial accident" sucked for a while. amazing how much you use your pinky finger to complete a grip on something.. Lost the tendon that allows mobility of the finger, so they dug back into my hand to retrieve it and re-attach it to the end of my finger before they closed it up.Kinda like streaching a rubber band back into position. After quite a while of rehab. it works ok.
    well i hope you heal ok and all works out. You will miss it for a while, sooner or later you will adapt to it being fucked up and find ways around it being messed up.

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

That Makes Me Feel So Much Better About Breaking My Leg Last Week ... Damn!

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

What some reality shows will do for drama! Sorry dude, hope you get better real soon. Cruzin seasons here............

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Guy I used to work for grew up on a farm and his uncle lost the last knuckle of his middle finger in a machine of some sort. The guy grabbed a rag to wrap it up then finished what he was doing. They calmly made their way to the hospital and the doctor explained how it could be saved by stitching it back then sewing the end of it to the palm of his hand - making a loop to promote blood flow and healing.

"No thanks, it's harvest season and I couldn't work like that... I'm 70 so I wouldn't be using it for much longer anyway. Stitch me up and send me home please."

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My ass seriously puckered when I read that!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear about... uhhh... your loss, Jordan! Bummer!!!!! Oh well, you got 9-more! :D

7. i vote for new/old finger key fob ...........way better than a rabbits foot
    sorry to hear you can only count to 9.5

guy i know lost a thumb playing around a compressor as a kid after getting to the ER they said it was a clean cut and reattachment would work .. they run back home to find that the farm cats had eaten almost the whole thing
    to this day when ya shake hands with him he slips way up your arm to the elbow and laughs ... unless ya know and stop him

8. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Can you get it back from the hospital?

Anyone want to go to Wendy's for some chili?

9. That sucks man!! Sorry to hear. I can feel your pain. The worst part is the throbbing and shooting pain you may get when you try to reach for something. The blood rushes the the injury.

10. Gigantor

Gigantor

Just reminded me of a story my welding teacher told me while he was teaching the class how to use a slip roll.
    Apparently he worked at a steel yard for a semester in college and the place was run by two brothers, old dudes, mean as hell. While rolling a piece for a customer on of the old guys gets his pinky stuck in the roller and torn right out, just hangin by a thread. My shop teacher says the guy bit through it and tossed his pinky into a scrap pile and finished rolling the piece while my shop teacher and the customer were trying not to puke. Dude didn't even miss a beat. Shit like that makes me feel like a girly man, cuz I know I'd have squealed like a little bitch.

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Crack me up!!!!

Sorry to hear about the finger man. Keep your chin up and give the keyboard a break!

12. buddy of mine decided it was a good idea to check his chain tension while riding his mountain bike (never said he was smart). needless to say, his finger got sucked thru the sprocket assembly, effectively removing that portion of said digit.

he cast the finger bit in a chunk of resin and wore it like an amulet around his neck. quite the source of dumb macho pride and one hell of a conversation starter....PROBLEM WAS...when he cast it, a little piece of the original was not fully encased in the resin...so it was slowly rotting in the resin. good times.

13. EL BOZITO

EL BOZITO
    from EAST BAY

i wont belive this post until i see a picture of it...

14. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

My high school math teacher got his hand caught in an industrial saw mill. It cut his hand half way off before he could shut it down. Problem was that he was bleeding like a stuck pig, his hand was jammed under the blade and the saw did not have reverse. He did the only thing he knew to do and turned the saw back on and cut it the rest of the way off and ran to the other end to get his hand when it came down the belt. They never could reattach it but it give him huge props for the balls it took to turn that saw back on instead of standing there and bleeding to death.

The irony was that now he has a "stump" from the lumber yard.
    He's hilarious though and when you see him, he'll ask you for "high wrist" instead of high five. He said it doesn't cause him any problems except when he wants to cut the fingernails on his good hand. yeah, I can see that being a problem.

15. MotorBike Mike

MotorBike Mike

Aw man I'm sorry to hear that, I got the chills when I read what happened... I guess you're going to have to learn to shoot with your left hand!

Mike

16. the-rodster

the-rodster

It's practically a right of passage in the south.....

Attached Files:

17. tomcat46

tomcat46

Man, get better soon. Keep it elevated as much as you can to stop the throbbing.

An old machine shop supervisor at a place I worked was missing a couple digits and all 6 of the machinists that worked for him were missing a finger or two. One day I asked him why all machinists had missing fingers. He told me he would never hire a machinist who still had all their fingers. They weren't experienced! He actually looked for missing fingers during job interviews.

Tom

18. this is a great thread to read before going to work...

anyone know about the football player who broke one of his fingers during a game, then when the team doctor told him he'd have to sit the game out, ripped the finger off in protest and finished the game?

im always afraid of losing my fingers

19. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

You guys want some pics?

Attached Files:

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Terrible. I hate these kind of threads, but it's good remind us to be careful around the shop. Hope everything works out ok Jordan.

21. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I cut the tip off of my middle finger on my left hand 15 years ago. Sounds like ours are cut off at about the same spot. The biggest bitch of it is that where I cut it is right where the nail began... so the nail wants to come in on the nub I have. Its ugly and a pain to trim.

I was supposed to go back in and have that removed but I never did.

I agree with keeping it elevated. That will keep it from throbbing. I swear the most hurt that came from this was 3 shots to numb it and looking at the bill. He charged me a ton for 'amputation' when I did all of the work. All he had to do was cut a thin piece of skin. Hell, I could have pulled the tip off...

I do wish I had kept it. the 'tip your waiter' jokes are worth it alone.

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man I hate to see that but on the plus side you could be a shop teacher now. I am just kidding get well soon and keep on keepin on.

23. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Dad was a Carpenter / Farmer and the worst that ever happened was about a quarter of an inch of his pinky got shaved off by a jointer/planer.

Here in OK, between Farming and the Oil Patch we have alot of folks nicknamed "Stumpy" and "Lefty".

Glad it wasn't worse and hope ya heal quick.

24. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

WHAT!! How come i gotta find out about my boy losina finger on the internet?!?!?! Ill be out today or first thing in the morning. CRAZY!

25. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Man, that sucks. Had enough accidents myself to have some idea what that musta felt like. Not good. That's for sure. As for passin out, not much you can do about that. I cut my face open with a chainsaw (37 stitches) and covered it up right away while another guy drove me to the ER. When we get to the hospital, we're sittin and waiting for the doctor to sew me up, and the guy that drove me there asks how bad it is. So I take my bandana away and show him. Next thing I know they guy falls out of his chair onto the ground. His head litterally bounced on the tile b/c he was out cold. I was like WTF? Then the nursese come running up asking "what happened to him?" So at the end of it, he's lying in the bed while they're trying to bring him around and I'm sitting in a chair with a 3" gash in my face and lips watching the whole thing.

26. One and a half in the pink and one in the stink! Sorry to hear bout the finger man.

27. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

i have a friend who did that on a Brake only it was BOTH of his thumbs, lost both of em at the Knuckle

28. My Dad lost pretty much all of his left pinky while working on a silage cutter in the sixties. Another guy was working on it at the same time and turned it over a bit to get to something. Dad's pinky got sliced off by a gear and chain.

Dad loved to use it to mess with little kids. He'd ask them how many fingers they had and they'd proudly announce TEN. He'd then put a concearned look on his face, say they should only have nine, and proceed to show them by counting his fingers. :-D I never tired of watching him do that.

29. dmac620

dmac620

Sorry to hear about your finger. Hope the surgery goes well.

I have to ask, who typed out your message though?

30. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I hope your recovery goes well, I would have passed out to.

Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't your weiner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.