Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cut and buff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Can you cut and buff single stage urethane Hemi orange paint, or is there too much metallic in it ? Thanks.

2. Midget25

Midget25

I wouldn't buff any single stage that has metallic in it. It will make it cloudy looking

3. slammed

slammed

Are you looking to eliminate debris or orange peel? Depending on your skill level w/ a buffer, you may knock down some imperfections by using a wool pad 1st. Some detailed pix will help.

4. Only my 2nd paint job, trying to decide on color. Either light blue or orange, not sure yet. Preety good with a buffer, not so good at laying down paint with no orange peel. not sure if Hemi orange has metallic in it or not.

5. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was under the impression Hemi Orange was a non-metallic color. Assuming non-metallic then you are good to go.

6. aaggie

aaggie

Probably coming at the problem from the wrong direction. Try to eliminate the orange peel. Up the pressure at the gun or thin the paint a little more. Spraying metallic paint without clouding takes practice.

7. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Spraying metallic paint as a single stage takes practice. A run will ruin it. Too dry and it will be orange peeled.

Check on what the paint is. If it has metallic, spray it as base coat/clear coat. If it is solid color, go ahead and spray it as single stage.

In general, a metallic single stage can be buffed, not sanded. To cut and buff, put some coats of clear on top of the single stage. Then you have the clear to work with and not get into the metallic.

This is from my experience and I am a weekend painting hack.

Neal

belair likes this.
  8. Metallic single stage is for guys that can really get after it with a paint gun. Like the guys who bite the erasers off of their pencils.

BC/CC is a bit more forgiving to gun fobbles.
    You have a chance to correct some things.

9. Squablow

Squablow

I don't think Hemi Orange is a metallic color, and even if it is, you certainly could have it mixed without the metallic.

I have successfully cut and buffed metallic single stage paints, but you can only go so far. If a few passes with 2000 grit can knock down the flaws, you can buff that without making it cloudy. But if you go to town with the wetsanding you risk cutting through some of the metallic and then it looks bad.

If you're worried about orange peel, a non-metallic single stage acrylic enamel is the way to go. Put enough coats on to give you some room to play. You can sand on that a lot, and as long as you don't go through to the primer, you're golden. That's what I put on most of my cars.

10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Original Hemi Orange does have a slight amount of fine metallic in it.

11. Hemi Orange is non metallic!!!!!!!!!!
    Edit: Phillips, enough to worry about? I've never noticed any.

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Leave that answer to the pros. I only know because I got schooled way back when by the owner of a original paint 70 RR, sure enough if you look close you can see the very fine metallic in it.

13. Yup, Hemi orange is metalic, very fine, but metalic non the less

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So then that is the answer, if it is original fine metallic no, if it is non original solid color yes.

15. Thanks guys, never would of thunk it!

16. Thats what I was needing to know. Thanks.