Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Vs. Hot Rods - A Poll for you to consider...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 15, 2012.

?
  1. No! Leave the HAMB just as it is...

818 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Yes! I'd love to have separate custom and hot rod forums!

169 vote(s)
    17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Yep id leave it just the way it is.. I already miss stuff because this forumn moves so quick!

2. Marten

Marten

Seperate them on one site..no problem, makes searching alot easier. Maybe a tech, customs, hotrods, classifieds chapters or something like that?

Ooh and don't forget offtopic chapter..

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

The problem is NOT that they're in the same forum. It comes down to this: Using the tags for the thread and introducing new content. That's it.

I love seeing the custom stuff and I know squat about them. Whenever they come up, especially chops and such, I always read them... and I'm a gow jobber at heart!

If Skip posted up the Victoria's Secret build in a different thread I may have missed it for a while. I'm glad that didn't happen. Plus, where does something like Live Wire get posted, a custom thread? I'm sure there'd be confusion for stuff like that is and a whole new can of worms opening.

One other thing, that's already been addressed is the OT stuff. I think keeping it out will help keep stuff more orderly.

Keep it simple. If you want more customs, fellas, you've got to post content. Otherwise, the stuff that dominates, will continue to do so.

4. mendoza727

mendoza727

Placed my vote.

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Oh, and since there are 55K users present a month, I'm hoping this gets significant votes. C'mon lurkers, voting is anonymous.

6. So in other words, anything post war! :rolleyes:

Just think of how much easier life will be. There'll be less to report! :D

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

customs/hot rods all the same since they involve modifications or complete fabrication.
    just like watching TV, if you don't like a shows content don't watch it. not into customs or hot rods, then don't open those threads.

8. This is how I feel about it, except reversed. I'm a hot rod guy, but love looking at customs. If its seperated, Id miss out on a lot of cool customs.

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I'm a hot rodder, and I have no want to build a custom, But that being said I sure like looking at how the body mods and sheet metal work are done on the customs. If there was two forums i'd just have to switch between the two.

10. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Give this man a cigar! :cool:

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Ryan, what do you want to do?

12. dt50chev

dt50chev

While I love both hot rods and customs, I am currently more into customs and it would make it easier to view the cars and builds I am interested in if we had separate sub-forums. That way we are all still on the same website and can see both easily, just with a little separation. I don't think a popular vote will work though because there are more hot rod guys on the site and they don't feel the need for separating the two because their interests are mainly shown in the site as is with a smattering of custom stuff thrown in. Just my .02

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll chime in on an O/T section as well. NO. What would be there? The latest TV show? New cars? Musclecars? Snowmobiles? There's sites out there dedicated to anything you can imagine, and the discipline requested to keep on topic is what keeps the place as pure as it can be. Pretty simple, no?

14. n847

n847

I would be ok with the split if the post on customs still showed up in the recent updates when Im browsing. If not I would rather it stay the same.
    That being said if it draws more custom builders to the HAMB I would be all for it!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

I like them mixed together under General Discussions. Thanks.

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The HAMB is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get and it's all good, as long as it is traditional!

The first magazine I ever subscribed to, 40-something years ago, was Rod & Custom and when they "merged" with Hot Rod in the early 70s, I let my subscription expire. I love traditional Rods and Customs and always enjoy what shows up on the HAMB when I log on!

17. The point is we are getting that stuff anyways and it is cluttering up the board. There were 3 happy birthday threads, a what do you sit on in your shop thread, and what was you ooops thread, a ZZ top video thread all on the first page this morning wouldn't that all be better suited to a seperate section that you don't have to look at if you don't want to?

18. Most,if not ALL, the HAMBers would tell you if they could,they would own a Custom and a Hot Rod. I,for one,have always wanted a Custom and a '33-'34 Ford Coupe.
    Plus,look at how many guys on here appreciate a good build thread like Victoria's Secret or the Casny Coupe,Bass Coupe,etc...
    It's not like the difference between Bike guys and car guys,or VW guys and Hotrodders. I don't see it being an improvement to the HAMB.

19. Here is my concern. Which forum gets stuck with the stuff that is not hot rod or custom, like my friends house burned down and how do we make sure that everyone gets it and not the just the fellas that normally follow that particular forum.

Prime example the Joplin Tornado. Collectively the HAMB did a lot to help out in Joplin and in other disasters that happened about the same time. It was no real burden on anyone, but if we pigeon hole customs and rods then we have to decide which forum gets that type of information.

Then there is another thing that really concerns me. The boss gives me a lot of leeway because I am a goofball and he knows it as does about everyone else. But what if I post my particular thread on the wrong forum,? Maybe I am posting a car that overlaps or in my mind it does, and then it gets deleted. When it gets deleted I no longer feel special, we all want to feel special don't we?

So this is off topic for the thread but i think it begs to be asked so bear with me if you will, please. :)

What does post war really mean any more? Since the last war to end all wars we have had two police actions and two wars and a thing in the mid east that has never been defined I guess you could class it a lets bail Kuwait out. Oh and don't forget Grenada, I think that some declaired war there and we were involved.

if one is going to use the term post war in todays world one must define the war.

I'm just sayin'. :D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  20. O/T threads are always gonna get posted,even for a few minutes before the moderaters get to it or it gets reported. Same with ANY forum. As long is there is as many members as the HAMB has,there will be members who just don't get it.

EXAMPLE: You are sitting with your buddies discussing where to eat tonight,and one of your friends says"did you see American Idol last night?" You look at each other and "WTF!".
    Stuff like that is gonna sneak in...

21. You're "SPECIAL" alright! haha

22. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Hell, alot of us have both. Why would you wanna stumble through multiple places when you can have it all here. One stop shopping at its finest, and the best damn classifieds in the world!

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

...If it ain't broke........

24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My question is why, What is the added benefit ? Seems easier to just pick the threads you like and skip the ones you don't.

25. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate both and the line between them is pretty fuzzy

26. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

I love the HAMB exactly how it is. There's a reason I've been here for 7 years (proudly one of the first 10,000). I can't think of any other forum I frequent and enjoy nearly as much and to segregate rod from kustom doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

27. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

How about simply putting a different type or logo or some kind of indicator to show that its a "custom" posting as opposed to a "hot rod" posting? That would make it easier for the custom guys to find the custom threads.
    This forum is a good one Ryan, and it really doesn't need "fixing".
    Personally, I love reading most ALL the threads, whether they be custom or otherwise. Hell, I even like reading some of the off topic threads for their entertainment value alone.

28. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I dont have enough hours at work to check out 2 forums!! hahaha
    [​IMG]

29. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

I suggest leaving it as is. There is already a "Customs" prefix.. although, to be perfectly honest, I've never been able to get the search to work on a specific prefix.

30. deto

deto

Don't separate hot rods and customs... If I could focus on one type of ride I might give up building one of both...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.