Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Customs by the Sea #2

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SuperFleye, Dec 29, 2014.

1. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Without the internet there would never have been a Kustomrama and a Customs by the Sea! That being said without people like you and your mentors, there still wouldn't be any of those two :)

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Mel has promised us a hard beach, so we'll trust him on that :)

3. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

I sure will, and please feel free to send people with early styles custom our way, we need all the help we can get :)

Eric H likes this.
  4. ...................I think it would be a great idea, but I think the logistics would be overwhelming. I'm sure you already have your hands full organizing the event you have planned.

5. Eric H

Eric H

The 54 parts on my car are the 54 Pontiac tail lights resting in 54 ford bezels. The front bumper is 51 but has 54 mercury bullets mounted too it. The grill is made of two 54 Ford grill halves with 51 Ford bullets at the ends. The lower centre grill bar is made from a 54 Chrysler bumper guard centre.

6. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

This sounds like a better idea,As far as logistics Could you rent the boardwalk{Like the car show in september does} And put the cars in their era like 40's, 50's and so on in their own section?I am building a 60's showrod and would love to be apart of the show this year.The 60's had some of the greatest show cars and customs of all time it would seem a shame to not include some them also...

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It sounds like a cool show. Last year I drove 600 miles to a show to see 175 Customs. I would drive 1300+ miles to see a show of this era in the future if you reach the 100 car mark. I never have been to the East coast, and this would be a good reason to go.

8. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Then we have a number to work towards stanlow69! I would say you have about 3 years to save gas money :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

This years flyer and website is up! We have a limited number of spaces available, so pre-register today if you want to secure a spot! More info at www.customsbythesea.com

Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    BigO, lothiandon1940 and Eric H like this.
  10. ^^^^Love the flier^^^^

11. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

It's a stupid idea.

12. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

I say that because it'll never work. Not the way you want it to. Not unless your willing to trailer in cars from all over the world that fit the criteria, you'll get 3 or 4 correct cars, a few fringe cars and the rest will be all wrong historically.

You're alienating way to many great cars from the area. New Jersey is a treasure trove of old customs. Most will not be allowed in. Too bad

62hotcat likes this.
  13. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Damn, I was actually looking forward to going this upcoming year... Oh well guess not now.. Best of luck to ya.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Will traditional hot rods be eligible or will it be limited to customs?

15. I LOVE the idea of pre-52 styling, I just hope you can get enough cars

16. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Customs only this year Jersey Joe

17. I know that this is a really tough decision for you Sondre. I feel that if there are 10 true '52 and below early customs at Customs By The Sea then it was a success. There are many guys with early customs in the making or already have them built. This is a show for them. I love the cut off but I also love all customs through the early 60's styling.

We need to keep in mind what the Oilers CC accomplished with the Race Of Gentlemen. The entire event is perfect. The vibe is amazing. Every aspect of the event is right. Now imagine mixing in OHV V-8s. The vibe would completely change. Not what the Oilers CC had in mind. Tough decision.

Keep up the good work Sondre. Myself and the rest of the Iron Lords CC stand behind your decision.

BloodyKnuckles

18. dan31

dan31

Is "customs by the sea" intended to draw its own crowd or just be a side show to the main advent? . If your intentions are to have the customs portion "grow legs" , I hope you didn't just shoot yourselves in the foot. I understand that people will drive hundreds of miles to watch cars race on the beach because it's the only place to see it and that part of the show is a awesome experience. I guess my question is that if "customs by the sea" is meant to be more than just a back drop to the main show are car owners going to be willing to also trailer their cars possibly hundreds of miles to show their cars in a smaller show ( due to the 52 cut off)?. I love the idea of combining two shows but just wish the cut off was not limited to 52. I'll be there either way.

19. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the support BloodyKnuckles, I can't wait to see what you guys bring for this years show :)

20. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Customs by the Sea is absolutely intended to draw it's own crowd. It's a niche, and we don't expect it to grow out of proportions. We don't want it to grow out of proportions either as we want it to be a gathering for the early custom crowd. The US is filled with pre 1966 hot rod and custom car shows, but I can't remember ever seeing one restricted to early customs, so we decided it was about time to give these a playground as well. We have some great cars in the works already, so I'm not too concerned about the turnout :)

'54Caddy likes this.
  21. fryguy

fryguy

I agree with Sondre. This is intended to be a back drop and enhancement to the Race of gentleman vibe. TROG creates and atmosphere of a time machine that transports us back to the prewar and slightly post war era. Customs by the Sea should enhance that vibe. The Oilers hand picked every car from hundreds and hundreds on entries. Yes, there were some OHV cars in the race that kind of turned people off. I think Its only fitting to have the Customs follow suit. Having the wrong era cars could ruin what Mel and the Oilers worked so hard to recreate.
    If Sondra can round up 15-20 early customs to mix in with the race cars, It would only add to the ambiance and vibe.
    Why not have both. Early customs on the beach and post 52 customs in the Convention center parking lot?

Fryguy

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    BloodyKnuckles likes this.
  22. dan31

dan31

It's going to be a awesome show,looking forward to being there.

23. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

I agree even tho im not a hot rodder more of the kustom guy, but I personally dont think race of gentlemen is as successful as is it because theres alot of flatheads and 4 bangers, I think people bring their cars to enjoy the experience of racing on the beach and have a good time... I always assumed the only ran flatheads and what not for legal reasons to keep alot of horsepower and speed off the beach...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  24. I think you guys are trying to get more of a "pure" custom vibe at this show, and the cut off is meant to keep some of the "clown cars" out. Some custom guys don't know when to say when and there were a few of them there last year. Festooned with every conceivable trinket that could be bought hanging on them, or ridiculous fin's molded in and continental kits that you could use as a band stand, and don't get me started on the flame throwers! I was parked on the lot next to your show last year with my car, and it was nice to have a common area to park, but I didn't bring my 40 to Wildwood for any particular show, I just wanted to drive it there. I know it doesn't fit any criteria for any part of any show going on that weekend, I just wanted to be in WW that weekend and I wanted to be there in the 40. No reason why everyone who wants to go to WW shouldn't drive their hot rod / custom, whether it fits or not. It's an enjoyable weekend and for me, even more so if I can drive my hot rod.

25. I don't really understand guys who won't go to a show because their particular car doesn't meet the criteria. I'm hoping to have my '51 Ford there if I can get it on the road. It's roughly an early '60s style custom, so I'll park it wherever everyone else parks and I don't really care about that. Happy to come down and support both events, happy to (maybe) be able to drive my shoebox. Really looking forward to seeing some amazing customs.

26. 'Mo

'Mo

Kustoms by the Sea was a great show, at an absolutely super location. Could the pre-'52 beach gathering simply be added, as a special attraction? (Like the "Inner Circle" survivor cars of last year.)

Eric H likes this.
  27. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

Maybe a silly question, but I can't seem to find a date for the event anywhere. I'm from Norway so I'll save a lot from ordering plane tickets early.

28. Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  29. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Hold those tickets a little, as OL 55 said, Mel and his team are working on the final dates, I'll update this thread as soon as I know more!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

Thanks guys! Good to know it's not just me being blind But will it be sometime after summer? Last year was October right? Anyway, keep up the good work! I think it's awesome that someone takes time to organize something like this. Controversial rules or No

SuperFleye and lothiandon1940 like this.